“Cheap and clean, great staff”
Review of Nung House

Nung House
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Nung house is a small family run resort with approx. 12 bungalows.

We had the most "expensive" bungalow for 600 baht (off season). Despite what others write here it was very clean.

Staff was really friendly and helpful with booking transports and excursions.

The restaurant is simple but both the Thai food and the European food was great!

Room Tip: Get the best bungalow they have!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 20 May 2013

My partner and I stayed here for a few nights over New Years. We arrive by public bus and were dropped off at the start of the long road that leads to the beginning of Khao Sok National Park. There was a group of ladies sitting around with signs for different accommodation. We asked for Nung House and a woman stood up and gave us a lift in her car to the bungalows, which were a good 1.5 kilometers down the road. We chose a bungalow for 500 Bhat per night which included a hot shower. The bungalows were decent, a big bed with a mosquito net, and decent bathrooms. It is a national park however, so if bugs bother you than this is not the place to stay. We slept fine and had power and a fan, though there were a few outages while we were there--but the staff worked quickly to fix them. The staff were nice enough, but didn't go out of their way to interact with you or make you feel welcome. We never actually ate at the place as there were other places in the town and other restaurants at different resorts that we wanted to try instead (and were quite impressed with). Naturally, almost everything is within walking distance. We wanted to get away from the crowds over New Years and this was the way to do it. So we enjoyed that aspect but when it came time to leave we asked the woman for a lift back down to the end of the road to catch the public bus heading to Surat Thani. She said she would take us and we waited about 10-15 minutes and asked again. This time she offered to call a minibus service instead that she promised would take us to the public bus station in Surat Thani. We we did that and, naturally, it didn't drop us off there. Which was the beginning of a major headache trying to get to Bangkok. Khao Sok itself is a nice national park and there are some very decent bungalow resorts there. If we were to return, I think we would explore those other options instead.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KrisLizzy03
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I stayed here on my own and it seemed a bit hidden i had to be told about it to find it. I think most people don't see it because it is right next to bamboo house. The staff were friendly and the food was great! The room smelt a bit damp but some of the other rooms looked really nice!! Lots of bugs because it is right next to the park so bring lots of insect repellent. All in all a nice place to stay, really chilled out!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank amber88nicola
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I didn't really enjoy my stay here as much as other tripadvisor reviewers. Don't get me wrong. You definitely get what you pay for. What I paid for was a bed, with four walls, a ceiling, and a bathroom with sometimes running water. Yes, I said sometimes. The water would inexplicably stop running from time to time. There was no water heater so only cool showers are available. It's so hot in Khao Sok that I can see why some people wouldn't mind the lack of hot water. But I just don't feel as clean when I don't have warm water. There was a very dingy mosquito net hanging over the bed that I used because of the huge brown bug, I decided to name Fred, hovering over my bed. I'm sure Fred was harmless, he hardly stirred, but still it's hard to take comfort at night when you're sharing your living quarters with a bug large enough to sport a name tag (which is why I named him Fred). The mosquito net was the type the fits over the bed imperfectly so, it's hard to keep it from touching you as you lay in bed, asleep (I mention this, because unlike the sheets which I'm sure are cleaned everyday, I'm sure the net is never laundered).

Nung House is very close to the village, making it convenient enough, but the owner ( think she was the owner. or maybe just a manager) kept trying to sell me a tour I didn't care to go on.

Even though I paid for 2 nights, I left after only one, forfeiting my remaining 10 bucks.

Room Tip: Ask if they have any rooms with water heaters and AC.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
NungHouse, Owner at Nung House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2013

Thank you very much, for responding on your visit.
You was staying in our traditonal Thai hut, for 300 Baht p. night.
This rooms have no hot shower, because of the low price.
Sometimes it can be happen, that the water is running out, because someone forgot to close the water tap. However as soon as we getting notice, we can pump fresh water into the , system, from our own well (other resorts use river water)..
The mosquito nets are getting washed or changed every 3 month.
Because of the traditional Thai style, there are some openings in the room, where a beetle or other insects can get into the room. But please be reasonable, you stay in the middle of the oldest rain forest of the globe, you should expect some visitors, to an open Thai Style room.

If you would have asked, we would have refunded you, for the second night.

Once again, thank you very much, for your respond, we always try our best, to make our customer feel comfortable and informed.

Best regards
Nung House

Reviewed 19 February 2013

Really enjoyed my stay. The room was basic, but the setting is beautiful and the owners were really nice and welcoming. The food was very good, and the atmosphere is great., a kind of a cool Jamaican vibe :-)
Great location - quiet, but a very short walk to the village.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo