“Wonderful Honeymoon In Paradise”
Review of Baros Maldives

Baros Maldives
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Baros Island
Reviewed 25 June 2011

Wow what an amazing time we had on this beautiful island in the middle of Indian Ocean. From when we arrived at Malé airport and were collected by Baros staff and escorted to the boat we were treated with the upmost care and consideration. We were offered cool flannels and drinks and upon arrival at the island we were offered more drinks to welcome us! We were then escourted to our beautiful villa 203 which was so clean and well maintained and had stunnings views of the ocean. We actually moved after a few days to villa 207 so we could have a larger beach and make full use of the sun, this was dealt with very professionally and did not detract from the excellent experience we had! Yes there is a man made wall to help protect the beach but it plays such an important role that we think the function far outweighs the way it looks. Inside of the wall is the lagoon and here you can safely swim around looking at the different types of coral and fish, I even saw sharks and turtles! If you are feeling a bit braver then just beyond the wall is the deep and it is truly breathtaking!

The staff at Baros are incredible and having stayed at the Ritz in London only days before arriving we feel that they had a high bar to reach and I certainly think they met that! They all knew our names, were always polite, immaculately presented and welcoming! It was wonderful talking to them all and hearing about their culture.

The food was a real highlight and we felt that the Lighthouse where we ate twice offered us beautifully prepared dishes and really enjoyable evenings! However, the Cayenne Restaurant was our personal favourite, the food was outstanding and the staff were brilliant! We felt that they really went out of their way to ensure that we had the best time whenever we were there! The ribs were delicious and on our last night we sampled the Tepanyaki...I am still dreaming about the delicious steak that I had! The chef, Sivath, is a true rising star and the manager Ali, was incredibly welcoming and our waiter Amadae made me two gorgeous bamboo boxes which were so lovely (it is a shame that these are not sold in the shop as they would make excellent souveniers!) Lilin (such a lovely lady) recommended that we try the Maldivian night and we are so pleased that we went to this as it was the best fun and we even returned the following week - the food was that good!

The cocktails were great, the sunsets were awesome and everything about our honeymoon was relaxing and perfect. We had a couples massage which was absolutely worth the money and we also went on a Dolphin Sunset Moonlit cruise which will stay in our memories for a long time! Lorena from the dive centre took us on a night snorkel which was a little bit scary but really worthwhile as everything in the underwater world looks so different at night!

So in summary we had a wonderful time and if you are looking for somewhere to truly relax and enjoy peace and quiet in luxury surroundings then this is the island for you.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank blondali
There are newer reviews for Baros Maldives

Reviewed 23 June 2011

We stayed at Baros for our honeymoon last July. The island is very small and private, apart from breakfast and dinner, we rarely saw other guests. Service is friendly and the deluxe villas are beautiful and spacious (we especially enjoyed the outdoor shower). Snorkeling at Baros is fantastic - we saw baby sharks, turtles and a whole variety of exotic fish.
Food is tasty but quite expensive- you can check the menus of the three restaurants online, so you'll know what to expect. We also ordered room service during our stay, which was good.
The spa is also highly recommendable, we had a couples massage, which was a great way to relax even more.
The only negative thing of our stay was the weather. Since it was the beginning of July, it was raining constantly and even though the sun came out for a minimum of 2-3 hours every day, I would highly recommend going at the beginning of the year, so that you can spend most of your time outside.
If you're on a honeymoon be sure to mention that before arrival. The hotel arranged a complimentary candlelight dinner for us!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Anna0138
Reviewed 16 June 2011

I'm currently here, and for three days in Baros I understood that every cent spent comes back to you as few hundreds of dollars, nominated in true luxury of this place, it's unique atmosphere, exciting experience of cuisine and willingness of staff to do anything that can make your staying even better! We already regret that in ten days we'll have to leave the paradise of Baros island!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Mikers_P
Reviewed 11 June 2011

I am an experienced traveler and when I had to choose a destination to relax, putting the world behind with no worries or newspapers, I decided it was time to experience the Maldives. I prefer boutique hotels and small, quite places, so after looking at all the options, I choose to go for the ultimate experience of privacy, luxury, intimacy and with little distractions. I think the location does not need any help to be WOW.
Friends who visited Maldives offered me two criterions to consider based on their not so good experience with other places – choose an island you can walk to the reef from (some don’t have that and so you are restricted to the boat's timetable) and if your island is a boat away from the airport it will save time and delays going in and out. Baros answered both and more. It was far enough from the airport not to hear the planes but close enough to be convenient so when I arrived and when it was time to leave, I did not waste any time.
I stayed in 5+ starts hotels in my life but Baros was nothing like I experienced so far. From the reception at the airport to the Farwell you are pampered and looked after with grace. The white sands, the island layout, restaurants and spa is wonderful. If you want to run away from it all and yet be surrounded by all the luxury and comforts, there is nothing like it.
The team is so gracious from helping me buy a SIM card at the airport to facilitating any request.
I started every morning with a private yoga class on the lighthouse deck surrounded by water and majestic view, followed by various snorkeling sites, reading, relaxing and doing exactly what I wanted before going back home to a new and demanding job.
The Water villa was more than I expected. I was impressed with the high maintenance as it felt like I was the first person to ever stay there. From the wine cooler to the coffee machine, the hidden LCD and the iPOD docking station. Snorkeling and swimming around the reef from the deck without packing a bag or ever leaving my room was a treat. I spend most of my time on the deck, overlooking the reef and having a sunset show every night to look at while sipping wine before a candlelight gourmet dinner, that was what I wanted and needed.

The images are still in my head as well as the calm and tranquility feeling and I know I will be back…

Room Tip: I loved the water vila as it is the front seat
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
10  Thank Orlyna
Reviewed 10 June 2011

My wife and I visited Baros for the third consecutive year in May 2011. We have been to several other islands in the Maldives and Baros is head and shoulders above all of them. We are well travelled and our testament to Baros is in the fact that we have never visited any place on three consecutive years before, and we are planning to visit for a fourth time next year. We are normal, modest people of average means who love the Maldives. Baros pushes all our buttons and gives us everything we want in a Maldivian holiday. Baros provides instant comfort, relaxation and peace of mind from the moment you set foot on the boat to travel from the airport to the island.
A few specifics:
The island itself:
Yes, it is fairly close to Male.There are other islands much closer. This factor has made no difference to the enjoyment of our holidays on Baros, and is generally seen by us as a bonus. No long transfer after an 11 hour flight from the UK and easy access for the mandatory excursion [for me] to Male. The island is quite small, but beautifully kept by the staff who obviously take great pride in keeping the island in tip top condition. Baros is renowned for its house reef and rightly so. Whether diver or snorkeller you will not find a better reef so accessible from the beach. A low coral wall protects the Baros beaches on one side of the island. An additional benefit of this is that it provides a shallow lagoon with some coral but mainly a sandy floor for novice snorkellers [which many guests seem to be] to practice snorkelling before venturing to the reef proper and the drop off where most of the best sights are to be found. Sightings of [harmless] reef sharks, turtle and the 1000 other varieties of multi coloured fish are absolutely guaranteed.
Accommodation:
We have only stayed in a de-luxe villa [no 113] and this is perfect for us. It is right on the beach, very large and luxurious with the best bathroom I have ever encountered on any holiday. The outdoor rain water shower is fantastic, particularly after dark when you can look up and see millions of bright stars as you shower, without the light pollution that prevents this kind of experience at home. The villa is kept spotlessly clean [twice a day] with fresh fruit and other goodies provided daily by the room attendant who in our case was a lovely chap called Adam - so a big thankyou to him.
Food :
The breakfasts on the terrace of the Limes Restaurant are too die for. The variety and quality of whats on offer is fantastic with all tastes being catered for. The champagne with breakfast is a great addition and can of course be mixed with any of the many juices also available if alcohol with breakfast is not your thing. Our "average breakfast" would consist generally of copius quantities of freshly cut tropical fruit, cereal, muesli [the bircher muesli with one of five types of honey is fantastic], eggs benedict perhaps or a design it yourself omelette of any kind. Full english [don't understand the need myself but it is available], smoked salmon etc etc.
We don't normally need much lunch and start anticipating dinner around sunset time. All three restaurants would be fantastic by western standards but when you remember that the islands are a long way from anywhere and that most things have to be imported, the menus are a wonder. We particularly like the Maldivian evening in the Cayenne as it allows tasting of authentic Maldivian dishes, but are more than happy in the Limes, working our way through the menu during our stay. The Lighthouse is for us for that something extra special, last night perhaps or dinner with new friends made while on the island or cocktails while watching the sunset.
The staff:
ALL of the staff are wonderful and complete the experience that is Baros. In our experience nothing is too much trouble, ask politely and if possible it shall be done. Eg small thing in a way but I took a liking to Tom Ka Kai soup in the Limes. Shuhan became aware, obtained the recipe and e-mailed it to our home for our return. It would be unfair to single out individual members of the team but the friendliness, hard work and dedication of Shuhan in particular, is what sums up what is special about Baros. Appu, Hassan Didi, Ibrahim and the ladies in the Limes also deserve great praise for getting the service levels "just about perfect".
Niggles :
Absolutely none about Baros itself, and we have, and will continue to reccommend it to anyone considering a trip to the Maldives.
Our only negative comments are reserved for a small minority of other guests who through ignorance or otherwise lack respect for the coral reef and wildlife, or some females who persist in sunbathing topless despite polite written requests not to do so by the island, as it offends cultural sensitivities, and by default some of us other guests. Please take note if you have taken the trouble to read this review.
Superlatives abound, but Baros is simply heaven on earth for us.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
9  Thank KimLaurence
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baros Island
13.7 km away
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
14.6 km away
Gili Lankanfushi
Gili Lankanfushi
#1 of 1 in Lankanfushi

Been to Baros Maldives? Share your experiences!