“our perfect week in paradise”
Review of Baros Maldives

Baros Maldives
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Baros Island
Reviewed 14 July 2011

The plane journey was as you'd expect from BA. The great news was it was empty going out and coming back so plenty of space to spread yourself out. We travelled club traveller plus. When we arrived at the airport in Male, the only nightmare was an hours wait to get through customs in a non-air conditioned airport - bit of a nightmare but at least they did provide cold bottles of water.

The transfer was seemless. we waited 5 mins was ushered onto a fast speed boat - just time for a drink and we were there in 20 Mins. The Island looks fab as you approach it. A nice touch was the welcoming committee on the jetty including Jonathan the GM and Tatjuana and Katherina. we were given a drink, a little chat - tiny bit of paperwork and was in our villa within 10 mins of arriving - perfect!

Our Villa was an oasis! we opted for the pool villa. Great result, best villa to have. you have your own pool, some of your own beach. 2 sets of sun loungers either shaded on the deck on or the beach. Nice touch, you also have 2 huge bean bags for lounging on - great if you are reading. The room was spacious and clean. The bed was huge and comfortable. There was a huge TV which we never turned on. The music system with the pre loaded I-pod was a really nice touch - just the kind of music you want to listen to on paradise island! There was plenty of free iced bottled water in our oom. The bathroom was spacious with indoor shower, bath and 2 basins and then they great outdoor shower - in the garden! Nice touches were the L'occitaine range of shower gels and potions. all in all 10/10 for the room.

The staff were great. There were too many stars to mention. But Tatjuana was a delight and really helpful and was always on hand to help sort things and has a wicked sense of fun. Hassan who cleaned our room was lovely, cheerful and discreet. The restaurant stars were all fab but three that stood out were rafael, juli and Aziz . Regis from the dive centre was great, he took us out and my mask didnt fit well, so he swapped with his - really kind - thanks!

Things to do... we did the nooma champagne cruise, private dining on the beach, the cooking demonstration and diving. All of these events were great. The hightlights were the cooking demonstration and the private dining on the beach - a must! the Diving was great, but we had had some rain and storms so the visability wasnt great... also it meant that it pushed the small blue jelly fish in land. They have a nasty sting - so best to take a long sleeve t-shirt to dive in. Baros were great if you did get stung - advice get vinegar from a restuarnt and tip it on ASAP thn go to the nurse and get an anti-histamine. All done and dusted in 2/3 hours!

restaurants - there were three restaurants at Baros. the best - which is head and shoulders above the other is the lighthouse - (with prices to match), but the best food ever. the lobster bisque is the best I have tasted anywhere the other stars is the tuna rossinni and the red snapper! the Cayanne is great and has a lot of fish and traditional food and is lovely and then the poor relation is the Lime - which you get if you go half board. Breakfasts is a real feast there is so much choice you dont know where to start - or stop.

Overall I would say that Baros has been our best ever holiday and that's saying something. We travel a lot internationally for work and pleasure usually 3/4 times per year - but if you are looking for a great introduction to the Maldives you've arrived when you get to the Baros.

One last thought - we booked through Kuoni who did a great job, but were very pricey. We then found out by talking to another couple that they booked through luxuryholidaysdirect.co.uk and got what seems like a better deal - so just double check ....

Room Tip: if you can afford it go for the baros pool villas. you get our bit of beach, loungers and pool and...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
12  Thank jules196350
There are newer reviews for Baros Maldives

Reviewed 6 July 2011

First trip to the Maldives and certainly left a glowing impression.

We booked two weeks for our honeymoon and Baros was everything we had hoped for. We were close to choosing velassaru but the reviews on here worked in Baros' favour and having seen the Islands closer to Male, I'm certainly glad we were where we were. The proximity to Male and various other islands really was not a problem at Baros. You'd have to be a very grumpy person to let that spoil your stay on this gorgeous island!

We stayed in a Baros villa with the intention of upgrading to a pool villa or water villa for the last few days but we never did - the Baros villa was perfect for us and we didn't want to move. Beautiful location on the island (201) and although we lost the sun quite early, it wasn't a problem. We either moved our sunbeds a little into the water or had a stroll around the island to find a sunnier spot. Outdoor shower was fantastic. Hassan our villa attendent was a delightful man who was only too willing to help and chat to us about life in the Maldives. As everyone has already said - Shuhan was a pure delight, the man is constantly brimming with smiliness!

We were extrememly lucky with the weather apparently. Apart from a downpour on our first night there, we had wall to wall sunshine.

We loved the cocktails in the lighthouse lounge, and although reported expensive by many, the location, service and generous selection of canapes that came with each purchase more than made up for the price. We ate here too on two occasions and they were our favourite meals. It really is a very romantic and classy place to eat. Aside from the Lighthouse, Cayenne was our next favourite restaurant. That's not to say that Lime wasn't nice, but the other two definitely had a better ambience in our opinion.

Asian night every Wednesday in Lime was great and was included as part of the half board package. Maldivian night in Cayenne on the other hand was pricey but a nice experience and great food all the same.

We didn't take advantage of the spa which is now a regret of mine but we did sample several other excursions that the island had to offer:

- The champagne sunset dolphin cruise was one of the highlights of the trip for me. Such a beautiful place to see dolphins in their natural environment and even more special seeing so many Spinner dolphins performing their tricks for the onlookers! So good, that we considered doing it again even though it was deemed pricey by many. I think it would be a disappointment if you didn't see any dolphins, but from what I've read in other reviews, that's not very likely.

- The Sandbank lunch / dinner is an absolute must. Again, quite a dint to the wallet but absolutely worth it for a once in a lifetime experience. We opted for the lunch rather than the dinner and I'm happy that we did, as we got to appreciate everything in all it's glory. Perfect for our honeymoon and with stingrays swimming all around the edge of the island while we were eating, we had entertainment too!

- The glass bottom boat trip wasn't really worth it and it wouldn't be a trip I'd recommend. I have a hunch there was something wrong with the boat as it reeked of fuel and kept cutting out and on the journey back to the island they were sailing incredibly slowly compared to the other boat rides we'd taken. Also the constant surging around the coral once we got to the viewing area was not very pleasant - indeed one poor lady was sick. We also hardly saw any fish, I'm sure the action of the boat was scaring them away and defeating the object! I'd stick to the snorkelling, we certainly saw far more of the wonderful underwater world that way.

- My hubby had a waterskiing lesson and I went along for the speed boat ride. Great fun and would recommend if you don't mind taking substantial mouthfuls of water (which is why I stuck to the boat ride instead!).

Only a couple of tiny gripes (and I'm being picky - because nothing spoiled our enjoyment of the holiday) -

- Would have preferred to have more vegetarian options on the dinner menu in Lime. Being half board it could become a bit repetitive if staying for longer than a week as we did. However, we made the mistake of only visiting the Cayenne restaurant a few days before we were due to leave - food and service in there was absolutely excellent.

- Breakfast was also a bit of a disappointment, again as veggies - especially when we ordered a private breakfast in the villa and it came with bacon on the plate even though we'd specifically requested no meat! Having experienced 5* all inc breakfasts in Turkey, Baros just wasn't in the same league, but it must be remembered that as a tiny island in the middle of the ocean, resources are limited and it was more than satisfactory for us.

- About 3 days in I came down with a very nasty stomach bug which rendered me bed bound for at least 2 days (and toilet bound for the rest of the holiday) missing out on vital sun time! My stomach never seemed to recover. Not eating fish or meat, I could only conclude it must have been ice cubes or cleaning my teeth and dental retainers in tap water. Salad maybe? I don't know, but it certainly wasn't pleasant. The staff were very kind though in letting my husband and I order and eat our half board dinner in the room for a couple of nights once I was feeling up to eating again.

- Aircon was very noisy but too hot without it. Wi-fi was extremely temperamental.

Overall we had the most wonderful time. We'd worried that two weeks in one place with not much scope for activity would be too long, however we were both surprised to get to our final days there feeling like we'd be more than happy to stay for longer. That must say something.
We'd love to visit the Maldives again, and normally we'd be eager to check out different hotels, but I'm just not sure that if we did that, our hearts would forgive us. Knowing that the paradise of Baros was only a stone's throw away would surely be too much torture!

One last tip for honeymooners - when booking through Kuoni, a candlelit dinner on the beach is included as part of the honeymooner's package. If you are staying half board then be sure to ask that your halfboard for that night is credited on your account or that you have a lunch one day instead. We queried it on the last day and luckily got refunded our half board, but if we hadn't, our "complimentary" honeymoon dinner would have been paid for out of our own pocket!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Sk8tes
Reviewed 5 July 2011

We stayed at Baros for one week late May/early June '11, having travelled here via Banyan Tree in Ras Al Khaima. We stayed in a water villa and it was just gorgeous. I can't really add anything to the wonderful things that most other reviewers have said about Baros, apart from agreeing wholeheartedly with those statements. I would however like to remark upon the prices, which seem to be a bit of a bug bear for many reviewers. I would say that, whilst the food and beverage costs are in no way 'cheap', they certainly aren't as astronomical as I had been expecting having read some reviews on T.A. and I got rather a pleasant surprise upon checking out that the bill was nowhere near as high as I had anticipated. I think if you factor in that you are in a luxury destination then you would expect to pay a premium wherever you were in the world, leaving aside the fact that pretty much all items have to be imported. My favourite part was cocktails in the Lighhouse Lounge each evening, watching the sunset and being served delicious canapes, which seem to come free with every drink - absolutely delicious. If you're debating whether or not to go to Baros, I can only say that, in my experience, you will not regret it!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Glasgow0406
Reviewed 3 July 2011

Rest and dream island. In this hotel has understood that such Maldives. Met by a separate boat - very comfortable and fast. In hotel the friendly personnel - have allocated a separate wonderful bungalow with a kind for ocean. Directly from a small house it is possible to dive into ocean. Was engaged in fishing and has caught the big fishes. At breakfast drank champagne and friendly communicated with having a rest - basically it is a newly-married couple. Many thanks I want to tell for Spa is the best Spa from all my Spas for all 93 countries of the world which I have visited. Every day went for treatment an aromatherapy and massages - have grown wings for pleasure and rest. Thanks this hotel and its personnel - they have transformed my rest into a fairy tale

Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
4  Thank alexzhdanov
Reviewed 2 July 2011

We first stayed in Baros 24 years ago for our honeymoon and although at that time it was very basic we had a great time. We went back in April 2009 and had an amazing time. It really is a luxury island with great service, food and gorgeous beach villas. The staff can't do enough for you. We are now looking to book somewhere for our silver wedding next year and despite some other lovely islands we can't see past Baros! Hopefully we will be able to get it booked soon.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank LornaR1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baros Island
13.7 km away
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
14.6 km away
Gili Lankanfushi
Gili Lankanfushi
#1 of 1 in Lankanfushi

Been to Baros Maldives? Share your experiences!