“Lovely hotel for families ”

The Hibernian Hotel and Leisure Centre
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Mallow
Reviewed 16 May 2017 via mobile

Lovely hotel in good location. Rooms are surprisingly large. A little dated but well kept and clean. Bar downstairs was very busy on Saturday night but we heard no noise in our rooms , no late night disturbances given the busy bar & location of hotel. Lovely little swimming pool & leisure centre but a bit confusing on how to access the pool. Breakfast was excellent, overall very friendly staff.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 12 May 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on a deal we got from escapes.ie , it was a nice hotel , the room was very nice, better than most 3* hotel rooms. It was clean and the bed was very comfortable.
We had a two course dinner included in our stay , we had booked dinner for 7:30pm and when we arrived at reception I double checked that it was booked but when we arrived down to the restaurant we were told it was full with a tour, why take a booking if it's going to be full? We wernt too bothered by it because we wanted to watch the match so we were able to have our dinner in the bar instead. We had soup and bruschetta as starters , the soup was nice but my boyfriend had asked for cheddar or mozzarella cheese on the bruschetta instead of goats cheese , the waitress said there was no grated cheese in the kitchen only slices of cheddar but that was fine with us, when the bruschetta arrived out it was just a slice of bread with a slice of cheese melted on it ? No tomatoes or onions or any normal thing that would be on a bruschetta. We both had steak for a main one well done and one blue, the waitress didn't know what a blue steak was , not bothered by this but maybe give some basic training on service and food knowledge. Mains were nice. We decided to have some dessert and ordered the apple and bread pudding to share , there was no apple in it , just sultanas.

Over all it was a nice stay. Maybe just give the staff some training , they seemed abit lost and like they didn't know what was going on , it would make all the difference, they are all friendly though.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Kieran O, General Manager at The Hibernian Hotel and Leisure Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2017

Thank you for your post on Trip Advisor. I am so glad that you and your partner had a good overall visit with us.
I would have been keen to hear your comments on the evening in question when I could have addressed your concerns at that time.
Our hotel employs many students for the summer months. We give ongoing training to them all. Our summer months make for one long training programme. I agree that training is always essential to any business.
We pride ourselves very much in the calibre of staff that we have working for us. They are hard working, mannerly, polite and, as you so rightly pointed out, "they are all friendly". If we were lacking in some service knowledge at the time of your visit, we do apologise. However, we are confident that we have an eager and enthusiastic team of young people working in The Hibernian Hotel.
I have noted your comments and your feedback will most certainly benefit further training of our team.

Reviewed 12 May 2017

Called into the Hibernian Hotel today for a bite to eat with my wife for lunch. There was a full carvery lunch available and also sandwich/salad lunch menu. I decided to go with the roast beef carvery lunch which was very tasty and my wife went with the peri peri salad which looked delicious. We sat down in the coffee dock area the staff were very friendly and accommodated. Myself and my wife extremely enjoy our meal and was very happy about the experience we had. We decided to grab our coffees to go as we were in a rush, we noticed a coffee kiosk at the end of the coffee dock which is part of the hotel. When we ordered our coffees the girl serving us came across very rude and looked disinterested in her job. I understand that people have bad days and working in the hospitality industry can be stressful work but she made it seem as if we had caused her bad mood. It was disappointing because we were praising the place before we got the coffees and walked out the door on a very sour note. Afterwards when we were back at the car my wife noticed a blonde hair in her take away coffee cup, it was not my wife hair as she is dark. We did not go back with them as the car was parked a bit away from the hotel and couldn't face that server again,

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple

Hello Barry,
I am sorry to hear that what started out as a positive experience in The Hibernian Hotel finished on a unfortunate note.
I apologise for any poor service that you received and I will follow up with the personnel in question.
I would, however, like to point out that our new 'kiosk' at the end of the restaurant is only up and running for a mere 2 days. It is a new project for the hotel and as with most new ventures it has some areas that need ironing out. Our staff have are learning how to make barista style coffees and all that that entails. There are a lot of detailed steps to be perfected in barista skills. I will take on board your comments and we will strive to improve our barista service.
Thank you for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to alert me to your situation 2 days ago.

Reviewed 5 May 2017 via mobile

It was a great time with hubby. Amazing service and deal. The staff are good. And mostly I was amazed about the way the room were so clean and biģ...
The hotel is based on the main street and 30 min away from Cork and 45 min from Kinsale..

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aline N

Thank you for your lovely comments Aline.
Glad that you enjoyed your stay with us last week.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

pros:

-nice hotel and good location.
-superb leisure club. Unlike some other places, the jacuzzi and hot tub are always ON. we really enjoyed.
- breakfast was not a buffet, but was tasty
- 2 course meal was also good

cons:
-nothing much really.
- receptionist said initially that she will call us and give the WIFI password as the system was not working when we checked in. That call never came. Wasn't a major issue though.

Stayed May 2017,, travelled with family

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mallow
Charleville Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Charleville
Montenotte
The Montenotte Hotel
Sunday's Well
The Kingsley
The Kingsley
#5 of 23 in Cork

Been to The Hibernian Hotel and Leisure Centre? Share your experiences!