“Lacklustre”

Ranked #11 of 58 Restaurants in Midleton
Price range: US$2 - US$47
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Finin O'Sullivan's thriving bar and restaurant in the centre of Midleton town has long been a popular place for locals to meet for a drink and to eat some good wholesome food. The entrance is bright and cheery, painted in pillarbox red and white, and the theme is continued inside, where black topped tables are simply set up with the basics needed for a meal. This attractive, no-nonsense place offers a wide range of popular home-made dishes, mostly based on local produce notably fresh seafood from Ballycotton and harbour steaks, also old favourites like a well-made Irish Stew; evening menus are more extensive and include some more specialities including roast duckling. Good short wine list.
Reviewed 12 August 2017

I would not return to this establishment. The Farm Gate just around the corner is infinitely better value. It was not busy when I visited.The owner handed me the menu but he failed to greet me and his back was turned before I had a chance to thank him. He certainly could not be bothered to point out to me the 'specials' I did notice that other customers had their attention drawn to the 'specials' and they were also offered drinks by the lady behind the bar so perhaps this restaurant does not favour solo customers. The only smile I received from the staff was from the young waiter who enquired after my meal which I assured him was very good. It was plain Fish and chips. Actually it seemed overpriced and lacking in taste. The chips appeared to be reheated potato wedges. The piped music suited the place, bland, and tasteless.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

With a group of 6 it's hard to find a restaurant in a foreign country that appeals to all but Finin's did. The staff was so very friendly and accommodating. Everyone enjoyed their food and do stop in and give them a try, you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank Faye G
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

After long travel from dundalk and taking afternoon trip to trabolgon we where we'll fit for food so myself, partner and six year old dropped in as quite a lot of premises where closed on a Monday. Got seated straight away loved quite a few things on the menu but what caught my eye was the beef curry been years since I had this and last time was years ago and was my aunts home made curry. OK so back to the review child got pasta her favourite partner got the steak so child devoured her pasta partner loved her steak and cooked to her taste medium rare and she is pick when comes to this but was the right side of pink for her now for the beef curry the same straight away brought back the memories and then the taste I nearly swore it was my aunts homemade curry even the child who always does taste test of everything as in trying to get her to try new thing after her pasta wanted more of it followed by dessert all on all defo give this place a go espically if you love beef curry.

1  Thank Jason K
Reviewed 2 August 2017

My wife and I dined in Finins with three guests.We had reserved a table and were seated comfortably upstairs.The menu has a broad choice. The courses were nicely spaced without any rush. There is a reasonably priced wine list. Every thing was well prepared and I suppose the biggest compliment was the return of empty plates. That is not to say they were skimpy - no - just very tasty. We had dined there perhaps two years ago and were pleased that the standard was still the same. And the price is moderate and very good value.

1  Thank tonybrogan
Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

We thought we were in for a real treat as it was so busy when we arrived. We were even asked had we booked a table. Luckily a table freed up. It felt like quite a cramped environment, the tables felt very close together. I ordered the special, medallions of sirloin and pepped sauce. My husband orderedeg of lamb. Both my kids ordered chicken goujons and chips. The meal arrived very quickly, on and enormous plate were 3 tiny medallions. My husband got 3 very thin slices of lamb. The kids portions were quite good. We also got a small bowl of veg and potatoes. The plates were so big that didn't fit on the table together which was very annoying. It just highlighted how small the portions were. We both had a pint bottle and the kids had cokes. 63 Euro and we both weren't full after. Wouldn't be returning.