Castlemartyr Resort
US$171
US$160
US$106
US$144
Fota Island Resort(Fota Island)
US$230
US$134
1,870 results
All reviewsbell towerknights barjunior suiteafternoon teagolf clubgarden roomstar experiencepure luxurymanor housebeautiful hotelspa treatmentsstar servicewedding partylovely groundstop classnespresso machinelittle things
Reviewed 6 July 2015

We were sooo dissapointed with our visit to Castlemartyr at the weekend,day out for special occision & were appalled with the sevice in the bar. Firstly we went out to the stunning terrace on a beautiful evening full of the joys, looking forward to being well looked after in a 5 star resort , our table had empty glasses & bottles from the previous people but we expected them to be cleared promptly but no, nobody came near us , staff kept passing by ignoring us & dirty table as if we were invisible , after half an hour I went in to bar and again barman ignored me, I found it quite sad that this is the level of staff that are being hired , anyway I asked him to send someone outside for an order and he kind of gurnted something, fast forward another half hour and still no order taken ect, rain came we went in to bar, again we were invisible until someone stopped barman to take order, there was no apology nothing , we had one drink and ran out the door to the local Shortts pub where were treated like valued customers with professional friendly staff. I have visited the Bar in Castlemartyr Resort lots of times and staff & service is shocking, the same cant be said for the restaurant staff & Trevor in Guest Relations is fantastic,so please Castlemartyr where is your Bar Manager and what is he/she doing????

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
5  Thank LuvSanty
GMCastlemartyr, Guest Relations Manager at Castlemartyr Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2015

Dear LuvSanty,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent visit.

I am disappointed to read that you had such a poor service experience.

As a result of your feedback I am presently rolling out a refresher customer service training course for the staff which I'm sure will have a positive effect and will be evident on your next visit.

Trevor

Trevor Sheehan

Reviewed 6 July 2015

Spent a 2 night break in this hotel very recently. 2 nights B&B plus 1 evening meal and 2 treatments. It was our 20th anniversary and we were willing to spend the significant cost based on the fact that this was stated to be a 5* resort. While the grounds were beautiful, and the setting great this place has lost its 5* edge in my opinion. The room was big and was good (although we had to walk nearly 10 minutes to get to it) but its all about the little things that makes a break special and worth the extra and unfortunately this place lacked in this department. Staff were friendly enough and food was good but not great. Food and drink is not cheap and not that I expected it to be but when your paying over the top for it you do expect the best and this fell short. I booked a massage treatment and specifically asked for a "deep" massage (you are actually asked which kind you want) across my shoulders and neck but I came out more stressed than I went in!! The robes you are asked to wear need to be burnt (5* eh no!!) ........seriously burnt to a crisp!! No offence to the people who wore them before me but I could tell you were there and there were a lot of ye!! The relaxation rooms are like a train station with the number of staff "burst in's" etc that went on!! Not good. So safe to safe no value received there, but I will say my wife did enjoy so it might be a man V woman thing!! But I do not value and this was not good. Weddings are a big thing here in this hotel and they are geared towards this sector. We were a couple on a romantic weekend and while we love kids we didn't expect to see so many and very active around the hotel. While I don't want to put down the hotel and the experience too much as there were nice elements to it, it was not worth the money that we paid (€800+) and would only be worth 50% to 60% of that amount!!

Room Tip: If there is a wedding on .....far away from the function room as it is noisy in that area.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank R12brich

Dear R12brich,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay.

I appreciate the feedback you have given and we will strive to improve in the areas that you have highlighted.

Reviewed 6 July 2015

We are just back from a week lng stay in a bungalow mews on the grounds of Castlemartyr estate, This was our 2nd time in the hotel having stayed in a golf lodge 5 years ago. The facilities are outstanding, we wanted for nothing in the bungalow and the welcome hamper is such a nice touch. The hotel is very family friendly, our choldren had a wonderful time in the pool and in the gardens. The football goal posts on the lawn are a wonderful touch and the maze is great fun for the kids. Our children were made feel welcome at all times by all the staff. I would highly recommened this location for a self catering family break. Wonderful facilities with thehuge bonus of being beside the hotel and the use of the pool. The food in Knights bar is excellent, escpeially the light bites. The only recommendations I would make is for better blinds/curtains in the bedrooms of the mews. It was bright from 5 am and until after 10.30 pm which did impact some sleep.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank DublincoupleDublin

Dear DublincoupleDublin,

Thank you for your five star review.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed all our facilities and that you had such a relaxing time.

I will be sure to pass on your comments to all the team.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Trevor and all the Castlemartyr team.

Reviewed 5 July 2015

Started our stay with a visit to the Spa which was really nice and relaxing, the trek up to reception and back to the bedrooms undid a bit of the chill, lovely art on the walls but a few more directional signs would be helpful.

Dinner in the main restaurant was very good, Monica our waitress was excellent throughout.

Overall we had a nice pleasant stay, but it is just short of luxury, the linen and towels are fine but not luxury, all sorts of high tech in rooms but would expect that on check in you would be escorted and given the run down on all the gadgets from curtains to Nespresso machines and not left to experiment.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Waterfordfour

Dear Waterfordfour,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the service and food to your liking.

I will be sure to pass on your comments to all the staff especially Monica.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Trevor and all the Castlemartyr Resort team.

Reviewed 2 July 2015 via mobile

Visited the hotel on a lovely summer evening for a drink and a small bite with the family. We never got any menu cards, nobody came to take an order, completely ignored by members of staff. Hotel is located next to a beautiful old castle and grounds of the resort are really well maintained. Hotel itself however needs a serious upgrade to keep a 5 star rating.
We all decided to leave and go to fota island resort.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
6  Thank Anna812334

Dear Anna 812334,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent visit.

I am disappointing to read that the service was not at its usual five star standard.

I have noted your feedback and I will be following up with a refresher customer service course for the staff to ensure that your next visit is a five star experience.

Please ask for me on your next visit as I would like to welcome you back personally.

Trevor