“Friendly staff and big portions!”
Review of Kwam Suk - CLOSED

Kwam Suk
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Description: new oriental restaurant within the K Club Hotel.
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My husband and I dined here whilst we were staying at the K Club. We fancied something a bit different to the traditional fayre that was offered at the hotel so settled for this.

We loved the interior of the restaurant, it was well presented and calming. We found the relaxing ambience just perfect.

It's not strictly a Thai restaurant, more of a South East Asian restaurant where they serve Thai/Malay/Chinese food but the food was good. Their green curries are lovely.. but watch out.. portion sizes are huge! I had a starter of ribs which was enormous and managed about a quarter of my main.

Waitress was lovely as well and made sure we had everything we needed, checked on our food. Fantastic!

Would definitely come back!

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Organised dinner in the Kwan Suk, K Club for a 25th Wedding anniversary. Took over an hour for first course to arrive. Main meal arrived before starter! Beef salad was very sour and fries very soggy. Waitress apologized for delay but irrelevant. Definitely would not go back.

4  Thank Finbarr s
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I am staying the K-Club apartments, courtesy of my brother who has one here. Decided to eat in this restaurant as there is very little choice in Straffan. There was a menu in the apartment but the pricing on that menu for residents was vastly different to the one we were handed on our arrival at the Restaurant. There was a difference of 4 euro for starters and at least 7 or 8 euro for Mains. My son, would not be a very fussy eater but he knows what he likes. There was a Duck Chow Mein on the menu and I asked could the Duck be substituted for Chicken - surely if the food was being prepared freshly, there should not be a problem. The waitress came back and said, No, it could not be done. So he ordered another dish that he did not really want. The starters were very poor, Spring Rolls and Chicken Satay. Wine was about 7 euro per glass. The 4 Main dishes came and were very unappetising looking. I had the Thai Green Curry, which was the best of the lot. Husband's lamb tasted "off" and my 2 sons were not impressed. When the waitress came to clear our table, she did not ask if everything had been OK. Not that it would have made a difference if we had said that we were not happy. I am Irish, but am visiting for the summer. Ireland is a total rip off and it is very hard to find a good restaurant. I would avoid this restaurant. Actually the whole area around the K-Club seems to be fading. Very few people around and no-one on the Golf Course and this is a Bank Holiday weekend.

2  Thank Maura-Irish
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I was originally going to come on here to sing the praises of this restaurant but sadly that is not the case. We had been here before in October 2011 and loved it, the food, atmosphere. We couldn't have faulted it. But our most recent visit was shockingly bad. There were too many things wrong to write them down here. I had read the most recent reviews on here before going and thought they sound a bit strange but they are accurate. I spoke with a friend after we had been there and they have said the same thing.

This restaurant once was a good place but it has gone downhill and is dragging the name of the K-club downhill by being associated with it. I have written to the k-club about it so will be interested to see what response I get back.

3  Thank FiB1972
Reviewed 23 December 2012

Aim to arrive a half hour early as in the pitch dark with no signage it is an adventure in itself trying to locate the restaurant!

One of my old lecturers in college said to the class once that you never get a second chance to make a good impression! How right he was.

Service overall appalling - I know it's Christmas week and the young lady on duty probably didn't want to be there however in an establishment such as the K Club you would think she would let on she was half interested at least in paying customers! I found out afterwards that it has in fact nothing to do with the K Club in that its a separate entity. The K Club must be sighing with relief on that one! 4 adults and us in the room - all put together in one section with the rest of the room inside the door completely empty.

Platter for two was bland to say the least and costly for €17! They must be looking to get rid of some lettuce as we had bland salad leaves with everything. Main courses were dreadful - a light soya sauce is in fact a tomato based liquid. I returned my main course of Rendang Curry as I was biting into chunks of raw lemongrass and ginger. The colour and texture of it was dreadful and as the rice was not included in the €€24 main course we had to pay €3 extra for the most miserable tiny bowl of rice imaginable. As the waitress was taking away my main course she asked me if I would like something else from the menu so I asked for the chicken satay and fried rice. Out arrived a starter portion of chicken again with the ubiquitous salad leaves. I felt like Oliver asking for "more"!

We had to ask for our water to be refilled a couple of times. The dessert menu was left at our table with no one returning to to take our order. After 15 mins we decided to go to the waitress at the main desk and bid our farewell commenting that we would never return!

So, we are home now ready to sit down for a Saturday night and we're so sorry we didn't decide to get our usual takeaway from The Far East in Palmerstown!

Dreadful restaurant - stay well away if you want my advice

6  Thank shivers