“Lovely place for a coffee”
Review of Poppies Cafe

Poppies Cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Enniskerry
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Description: Poppies has been open since 1982, We offer a comprehensive range of food from breakfast, scones and jam for mid-morning and a full range of main dishes served with either salad or baked jacket potato throughout the day. We also serve tasty home baked desserts and a selection of confectionery and beverages.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

My partner and I visited Poppies twice during the last weekend in February while we were staying in Enniskerry for four days. One day was quite busy with an influx of pushbike riders, the other day not so much. We enjoyed the coffee and the ambience of the shop. The staff were very friendly. As an Aussie travelling in Ireland, I was surprised to sit at the table and find an empty bottle of Bundaberg Ginger Beer for the previous table occupant. This gave me a big smile, a little piece of home half way across the world.

peterpoppy, Owner at Poppies Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2018

Dear Greensteam,
Just wanted to write to say thanks and million for your lovely review, its nice when ones hard work is appreciated. we will keep stocking the ginger beer for the next time you are over this side of the world.

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Nice place for a relaxing coffee and cake, staff friendly and they also have a nice range of lunch times treats, will call again.

peterpoppy, Owner at Poppies Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

Dear Geojon,
I write to say thank you for taking the time to review us, I will of course pass on your comments to the girls. We look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 16 March 2018 via mobile

Wot a jewel in the Emerald Isle, we stopped for breakfast whilst travelling around.
What an amazingly friendly place!
We were so welcome and the staff included us in thier banter with thier regulars.
We would seriously recommend stopping here for a bite to eat, the food is great and reasonably priced.
Located in Enniskerry town square, home of ghe TV hit series Ballykissangel.
A lovely visit and special thanks to the staff for being so warm and welcoming!

Dear Gary and Sue,
Firstly I'd like to say sorry for the way your rugby team performed in the final of the six nations and secondly, because of the score, you are of course, welcome back.
We try to ensure that our customers have a pleasant experience and its just wonderful when they let us know.
i hop the rest of your holiday was good and look forward to welcoming you back, if only to show you highlights of the game.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

I live in Enniskerry and visit poppies regularly. Every time I have been there it has been clean and the staff have been very friendly. I recommend everybody visits it.

Dear Gazprom34,
Thank you for your lovely review, its nice to be appreciated. I will pass on your nice comments to the girls.

Reviewed 24 February 2018

Walking around Enniskerry we decided we decided to try this coffee shop in the main street. Upon entering we found a seat at the very back of the shop, its a very tightly compacted space but it was reasonably full at lunch time. I was about to put my bag on the floor when I notice somebody had left their full lunch, minus the place sitting on the floor.

I called a waitress who laughed and said I'll be back to pick it up. Within two minutes she picked it up with her bare hands and walked off laughing no effort what so ever to apply any form of hygiene wide to ensure the food was properly removed from the floor.

She did not wash her hands and proceeded to serve people at the food counter without gloves and then to add to the situation she handled money to pay for another persons food directly afterwards. She then after handling money began to clear up tables and then went to place food on plates.

I then observed a guy who went directly from handling dirty dishes and wet rags cleaning down tables to making food and handling it to putting it onto plates again without washing his hands or wearing suitable gloves to ensure high standards of hygiene.

We ordered our food before all of this and we were initially served the incorrect drinks then we waited twenty minutes, while others who came in after us were served their full orders, before a guy came to out table and apologised that he had forgotten what we had ordered. I then outlined what we had witnessed he apologised and asked if we could repeat or order and he would do it straight away. We declined, as I did not want to spend the night with my head over the loo getting sick from a stomach buy.

3  Thank susancc737
peterpoppy, Owner at Poppies Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2018

Dear Susancc737,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Let me deal with the issues as I see them.
Firstly, the gloves issue, there is no legal requirement to wear gloves in fact recent studies have found that the wearing of gloves can have a detrimental effect on food handling procedures. According to the Food Safety Authority - It is not a legal requirement to wear plastic gloves when handling either raw or cooked food. Plastic gloves can be used but it is important to remember that gloves can be a source of contamination.
Secondly, The floor cleaning, every night after we close the cafe, we scrub and mop the floors to ensure they are clean, in today's litigious environment, we do not mop the floors an someone might slip and hurt themselves.
Thirdly, we have trained personnel who make up our food from scratch every morning (scones, soups, pies, salads and fucatias). The counter people you witnessed do not actually handle the food, they use ladles and thongs.
The wet rags you refer to are colour coded cloths, we use yellow for the coffee machine, red for kitchen and blue for wiping the tables. All are used in conjunction with sanitiser spray.

There were two things that you experienced that were not acceptable, firstly they forgot your order and secondly they should have washed their hands more often than they did. As you said in your review it was busy when you arrived and they clearly prioritised customer service over hand washing. I apologise for both of these things and I have spoken to the people who worked yesterday on the matter.

I appreciate the time you took in writing your review and I hope that you might visit us again