“Good food let down by service”
Review of The Thimble Inn

The Thimble Inn
Price range: US$7 - US$32
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Thimble Inn is an historic thatched pub situated in the heart of the Piddle Valley, just Four miles from the centre of Dorchester. Dorset Tourism Bronze Award Winner 2015. Newly refurbished 2015. Real Food all cooked from scratch by owner chef. Local ales and lots wines by the glass and bottle. See website for events, music and regular curry night. Families, children and dogs welcome. Open fires. 2 huge gardens with views, streams & trees. Big welcome.
Reviewed 1 April 2018

Booked a table for two for dinner at 5.30pm. We arrived at 5.20 and were shown to a table. We ordered a roast dinner and were told “to bear with us” as there would be a delay. After half an hour there was still no dinner served even though by now the pub had emptied a bit from when we first arrived. After 45 mins we were then served our roast pork and roast potatoes, no sign of the vegetables until I caught the eye of one of the staff and said could we have the vegetables as we were hungry and wanted to eat our dinner. I have no complaints with the food which was good, my issue is the service as never once did we get a sorry. Sorry that there would be a delay in serving dinner, sorry that the vegetables were not brought out with the meat, sorry that there were no roast parsnips and sorry the apple sauce was not brought out with the pork. When I went to pay, the gentleman behind the bar did not even bother asking if we had enjoyed our meals or thanked us for our custom.
I will not return to this pub as clearly my custom is not valued or appreciated. Shame because if apologies had been given and the delays explained then my review would have been better.

1  Thank GARYLE57

Reviewed 30 March 2018

My wife and I went for a midweek evening meal and were given a very warm welcome by two female employees. The menu is fairly limited, which I consider to be a good thing, provided the choices are very good. Various dietary needs and preferences are catered for. We opted for two meals from the standard main meal selections - pork fillet wrapped in serrano ham and garlic chicken escalope. Both arrived beautfully presented but with very generous portions. We were left very satisfied with the quantity and quality. Perfectly cooked with lovely sauces. Unusually for a Palmers pub, some of which can often be rather overpriced for what you get, this offered very fair value for money.

We picked up a little brochure about the pub from the bar and it made reference to a specials board. We didn't see one and it was not mentioned by staff, so I can only assume that there were none on that day, not that it mattered, as the food from the main menu was very good indeed.

The pub has lots of little alcoves and a variety of different seating, which adds to its charm. It is a very attractive building with nice outdoor space, although it was raining during our visit so we had little opportunity to explore this, but our experience was so good we will definitely be back, not just for the food this time, but quite likely also for one of their live music events (they have an open mic starting soon).

A very highly recommended pub/restaurant about half an hour from Bridport and less than 10 minutes from Dorchester.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

Stopped here for lunch and enjoyed 2 interesting soups. One was cauliflower and blue vinny cheese, and the other curried parsnip. Both excellent with delicious bread. We were also given a booklet to discover the history of the village.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

We visited for an evening meal as we were staying close by. The food was delicious and very good value. Portions are very generous so be sure not to over order. The local beer we tried was also very good quality. The pub is well appointed and a nice place to chill out. The only reason we didn't give it a full score is that we were sited at a table very close to the only other people dining in an empty dining room. (We were eating early - 6pm - as we'd missed lunch.) It felt uncomfortable as both tables could overhear each other's conversations as the ambient noise was negligible. If the place had been full it would have felt different. I imagine that if we'd asked they would have moved us, but it felt awkward to say we didn't want to sit next to the other couple - typical British reserve! I hope this counts as constructive criticism and can be taken on board by the staff.

1  Thank BigClearout
Reviewed 22 March 2018

Work trip to Dorset. Had to investigate best local pubs to eat and/or drink in. The Thimble was both welcoming, and had great food and drink. It became our unoffical evening rendezvous. Thanks to Kyle and his team.