“Fabulous views!”
Review of Cape Brett Walkway

Cape Brett Walkway
Reviewed 12 March 2016

This hike was a lot hard than I anticipated, but the views were fantastic! It says the hike is 8 hours, but mine was 6 from Rawihiti to the hut at Cape Brett. A lot of up and down with careful footwork needed on a sometimes narrow path with steep drops. I do not think many people do this hike, so I was actually the only one at the hut that night, Althea it sleeps up to 23. I walked down the next day to Deep Water Cove and had the place to myself to swim. Fantastic! I was even startled by a sting ray while swimming. :)
I only give it a 4, as they warn against the water in the hut being contaminated by salt, so I did not use it.
To get there and back, I hired a water taxi from Paihia. Since I was the only traveler, it was pricey....

Reviewed 23 August 2015

Wow!! What an experience!!

We took the "easy" option of a water taxi (Dive Ops) to the Cape and thoroughly enjoyed arriving in plenty of time to enjoy the afternoon exploring the historical site of the lighthouse station with the added bonus of a boat ride through the Cathedral Cave and Hole in the Rock.

Overnighting in the DOC hut was a treat with only 1 other tramper there. Surprisingly there was plenty of kitchen utensils already there - running water and gas for cooking also supplied. Remember to take toilet paper though!!

We departed early morning with a hope of seeing the sunrise over the lighthouse but were thwarted by cloud cover and did not see the sun burst through until we had summitted and were heading down Mt Rakaumangamanga.

As we would be classified as novice trampers I could see why the labels from the DOC recommended high fitness and experience levels. We completed it in 7 hrs 20 mins with plenty of rest periods.

The walk itself was one of the more physically challenging experiences I have endured - and totally enjoyed in my life. The ups and downs, the vistas, the changing scenery and bush types topped with the bird life and total solitude made it an experience to remember.

The chance meeting of friends along the track certainly cheered us both us and spurred our way onwards.

Even though it's winter we were committed to a celebratory swim in Oke Bay at the end. We had earned it.

This is a part of NZ that must been seen and experienced!!

7  Thank Johnny C
Reviewed 10 April 2015

Spectacular views of sheer cliffs and beautiful rocky coves all along this hike. The track is well formed, but very steep in places, and not for the faint hearted. Booking the hut through DoC is essential as there is no camping allowed.

2  Thank IngridNZ
Reviewed 22 January 2015

A track just before Rawiti to tramp into Whangamumu. A nice walk of around an hour , a little steep from Whangamumu bay , so you need to be a little fit. Once in the bush it is reasonably shaded from the sun.
The bay is very nice and to the northern end are the remains of a whale processing plant that has some interesting information. The whales where actually netted here.
Follow the stream here to a nice little waterfall , were one could cool of with a swim although pools are small.
Nice morning activity and educational.

2  Thank Russell C
Reviewed 6 December 2014

This is a magnificent 7 hour hike form the beautiful Oke Bay in Bay of Islands to the DOC Hut on the cliff edge at Cape Brett. It requires a medium level of fitness and has many steep climbs and descents, experienced trampers with day packs will complete this in about 6 hours. We arrived in Rawhiti on a Friday night and stayed in the magnificent Oke Bay Lodge (self catering) right at the entrance to the track. A water taxi called to the lodge and collected out packs and chilled refreshments and took them directly to Cape Brett by sea. The hike was fantastic with many scenic moments but none as spectacular as when you actually arrive at the Cape with views north and south. The DOC hut was clean and well kitted out with three large communal bunk areas and a large shared gas cooking and eating facility with plenty of utensils and some long drop toilets. The water taxi returned the next day to bring us and our gear back to Rawhiti. This is a hidden gem the track doesn't get too busy because the DOC hut capacity is about 20. It's a must do if you are into tramping. We stayed an extra night in the lodge at Oke Bay.(PS some aspects of the lodge still need to be finished i.e. ceilings painted etc but I understand that this work will be finished shortly.)

8  Thank russell o