“Objective "Chill & unwind" Mission...”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Pier Cottage

Pier Cottage Relax in the kitchen by a woodburning stove
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Pier Cottage
Relax in the kitchen by a woodburning stove
Kitchen essentials
Bedroom 1
Soak in the bath
Cosy up by the woodburner
The Waverley coming into the Pier
Winter wonderland
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Very good - based on 30 reviews

Reviews from our community

Any
Ant S
“Objective "Chill & unwind" Mission accomplished!!!”
Reviewed 13 September 2015 for a stay in September 2015

I read the diatribe from the person who visited on the 16th August and was confused surely all the other reviews could not been wrong?
My wife and I have spent a week at Pier Cottage in September, we were vey lucky with the weather and were able to spend some afternoons and evenings on the decking enjoying the sun and stunning views.
If you are after peace and quiet then this is the place to come,
The cottage is well furnished and maintained, the kitchen is bright
And has everything you would to need to cook a gourmet meal to beans on toast.
The lounge is comfortable with plenty of information on places to visit and a welcome presentation booklet prepared by the owners.
Great touches throughout, welcome pack and fresh flowers
There's also a village post office, a small Boots, a butchers (who's meat is very good, try the sausages) and a small Costcutter supermarket.
We came to relax and unwind, mission accomplished
Many thanks Millie for kind your hospitality

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The location and the comfortable cottage
15 Sep 2015
Great guests. Glad the weather was good to you and you succeeded in your mission to chill and unwind. Cottage was left clean and tidy. Thank you. Look forward to welcoming you back
Kath_Arms...
St Bees, United Kingdom
“A peaceful stay in a lovely Cottage on the banks of the Clyde”
Reviewed 26 August 2015 for a stay in August 2015
person found this review helpful

Thank you Millie for a restful week's holiday in your lovely cottage. It was clean, comfortable, spacious and well equipped. An ideal place to escape for anyone needing to get away from the stress of a busy life. With picturesque views over the Clyde from every window and close access to a few really good shops, pub, cafe and hotel restaurant, the location was ideal. Our little dog loved it too. Great!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The tranquil atmosphere within the cottage, its garden and its views
Liked least: The weather could have been better.
Your age range 50-64
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
30 Aug 2015
It was a pleasure having you stay and good to know that you managed to get that much needed rest
carmen036...
Forres, United Kingdom
“would not recommend !!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 16 August 2015 for a stay in July 2015
people found this review helpful

I booked this after reading reviews on trip advisor but was totally shocked when we arrived as it was not as I was expecting from the reviews.
Words used in previous reviews were :-
welcoming, comfortable , beds were very comfortable, living room is also very comfortable , photographs do not do it justice. well maintained, decorated in a modern and comfortable style, Beautifully furnished.

Well I am afraid I am either extremely fussy or these people have stayed in sub standard places in the past. ( I would not say it is that I am fussy as even my daughter of 10 was not happy !!!)

Here is what I thought of the property and I have included pictures to back up what we experienced

On arrival
Your first sight of the property is the public toilets right next to the cottage…at first I thought “oh my goodness I cannot put up with that”..but to be honest once you are in the cottage you are not affected by the proximity of them.
You then see the garden which was lovely and stunning views ( incidentally this was the BEST part of the cottage )
You then enter the actual cottage through the patio doors as Millie( the owner ) said that was the most convenient way and most people used that entrance…well the door would hardly open…it was so stiff you had to pull on hit with all your might to open and close it…it needed a new door!!!!
As soon as you entered the property the strong musty smell hit you
The kitchen
This was bright and modern looking on first appearance but later you get to see the terrible sink which was disgusting, old, stained and dirty looking ( pics included in this review )
There was very little room to wash up..how a family of four would have coped heaven knows !!!
There is a cupboard next to the fridge which was pointless and this could have come out and a slim line dishwasher added instead
The cutlery draw was awful….so old and scratched and at first I thought it was really filthy but was just so tatty looking
The kitchen was well equipped although the crockery, glasses etc were very cheap and there were very little glasses and none matched and two in fact had fine cracks on them
The electrics in the place were very old and needed re-wiring/up dating
There was a CD/radio where the radio did not even work and the cds provided were ancient
There was a black rug on the floor that attracted every bit of dirt and so you were constantly hoovering
Bathroom ( just off from the kitchen)
This was not too bad…had a lovely unusual ceiling but the bath was horrible…the enamel was all scratched which made dirt etc cling to it…did not have a bath in it as looked so horrible ..
Had a hand held shower so could not stand up in the bath to have a shower and the water dribbled out ….
Area where washing machine was
At first I could not get the machine to work so I searched for a main switch to switch on but discovered tucked behind the machine an old extension lead that had to be pulled out and plugged into the wall but this made it hang in the air …really needed to be wired in so you just switch a main switch on the wall!!!!
It also could do with being a washer/dryer..all properties I have stayed in have been these especially in our climate where you can not rely on the weather in order to dry clothes outside
Twin bedroom
The beds in here were outrageous…cheap and nasty beds ( how others had said they were comfortable I just can not believe!!!!) …you only had to put your hand lightly on the mattress and you could feel the springs though the fabric….I had to put the duvet from the bed that we were not using on top of the mattress to make it more comfortable for my daughter to sleep on
There was no extra bedding or blankets if you needed them
The curtains did not even draw together properly and were of poor quality that they did not even block much of the light from outside out
Lounge
This was a dark, depressing room…it was so depressing looking that my daughter said it made her feel scared.
The pictures on the holiday lettings show this room as all bright…I have since noticed that the curtains were not up in the picture so lots of light was coming in
The furniture was all old and dark wood and it had dark curtains so it gave it such a dark depressing feel to the room…
The rug on the carpet was all stained and the fire surround was old and chipped
We hated the room so much we could not even sit in it, consequently we had no where to relax in the evenings….the sofa was so uncomfortable anyway.
Main bedroom
The musty smell in this room which was unpleasant to sleep in
The listing stated that there were two bathrooms , one being the family bathroom and one a shower room…later in the listing it said the main bedroom was a double room with a shower….I am sure that like me everyone else would expect an en-suite shower…oh no!!!!!..it was just an old tatty shower cubicle in the corner of the room that was mouldy and the water dribbled out
There were two windows in this room…both had flimsy pale blinds and only one window had curtains which were thin…so NO light was blocked out of this room at all which was a nightmare to sleep in .
The bed was very uncomfortable and was a very small double…a couple sleeping in here would be squashed next to one another and I am not a tall person at all but my feet nearly touched the foot stead whilst lying in it.
The carpet had stains on it and to use the beside light I had to use an extension that trailed all across the floor
There was not even a mirror in the main bedroom so you had to go into the lounge to use a hairdryer

The towels were so small they hardly wrapped round you and were very cheap.
As the shower was such a dribble when you finished a shower you were freezing and then could not even warm up with a nice warm fluffy towel

Things that went wrong
Come the evening of our first night at the cottage I went into the main bedroom to adjust the shower height for my daughter and the whole thing fell off the wall!!
I then went into the twin bedroom to switch on the bedside light for my daughter and the top of the lamp fell off as I touched the switch which made the electrics trip .
I had to call Millie as I could not find the trip switch and she told me it was in a locked cupboard so she would have to come up and sort it.
I found this rather annoying as this was invading on our privacy during our stay, the cupboard should not be locked allowing people to switch the switch on themselves.
I told millie about the shower and she said she would sort it the next day
We went out for the day the next day only to find the shower not done ( she did it the following day but made me feel I had broken it !!!!)
A few days later my daughter sat on the end of her bed to put some socks on and she fell though the bed, about 8 slats broke on the bed.
It took me ages to fix these as I could not work it out but finally did…it was not normal quality slats but cheap flimsy ones that slotted into plastic clips that were hard to get back in
A few days later I was in the bathroom that had a mirror that was attached to the wall and extended out, I touched the mirror to move it out a bit and it fell apart
On our last night I switched on a light in the kitchen which tripped the electrics again so again I had to call millie….She sighed on the phone and said they were in the middle of their dinner (…well I am sorry but if you did not want to be interrupted by your guests then you should have the switch available for guests to sort themselves….)

The property was very dated but has had a few modern things put in to try and make it look modern but it has all been dome on the cheap. One person mentioned on a review that it was well maintained…it certainly was not and you will see this from some of the pictures I have posted .,
This is purely a money making property and not a property where the owner cares…I have stayed in properties where it is so obvious the owners care about the property and so much has been put into the property to make it perfect for peoples stay with a lot of attention to detail

When we got home I had to wash ALL our clothes even ones we had not worn as they were all musty smelling

I paid a damage deposit which after about 3 days I texted Millie to ask when would this be refunded, she texted back to say in a few days but said she had found two cracked glasses. I informed her that yes there were but we had not used them..
I did not receive my refund after a few more days and had to chase her twice more but she ignored me.
Eventually I checked my account and found the deposit less £9…I was outraged that she had deducted £9 for the two cracked glasses that were already cracked …also two glasses do not cost £9!!!!!!...even a cheap set ( which everything in the cottage was) would have been less than £9 from tesco

So as you can see my review is far different from all the positive ones on here and I still do not understand why everyone else has found this cottage so nice…but then as I said maybe others have always stayed in substandard ones before…who knows…all I know is I would certainly NOT recommend this cottage to anyone.

Oh and one last thing...when I booked this Millie took so long to check my booking that my dated were allocated to someone else...I was offered different dates but it meant my week had to be cut my a day but I was still charged for a full week!!!!!

Liked best: the garden
Liked least: everything except the garden
Travelling group: Young Children
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
20 Aug 2015
A very disappointing review. We have always done our best to make our guests feel welcome, comfortable and ensure that they enjoy a pleasant and clean environment. On departure guests are met in person and are always asked for their feedback, which was also the case in this instance. We embrace any recommendations for improvements and encourage guests to make us aware of any concerns, but in this instance none of the comments outlined in this review were voiced.
Ensuring our guests have an enjoyable stay is of paramount importance and it is never too much trouble if guests contact us, whatever time of the day or night. Just to clarify, on the first evening I responded to your call immediately and came over to the premises the same evening that I received your call, removing the faulty lamp which had fused the premises and being shown the broken fixing where the shower had come away from the wall. I agreed to fix the shower the next day. However, when the plumber reviewed the situation the next day it was agreed rather than a ‘temporary’ fix with the shower, which you suggested, I would purchase a new fitting. As we do not have hardware stores locally I could not complete this on the same day, which is why it was fixed the following day. I kept you informed of the situation. I could respond to each of your concerns individually, as some are not totally accurate, but you are entitled to your opinion and I will let other guests decide for themselves.
I am sorry if you felt my tone was not appropriate when you contacted me on the last evening but this was a misinterpretation by yourself. My sigh would not have been about dealing with your call but due to exhaustion – as you were aware I lost my husband unexpectedly to motor neurone disease just the previous month and whilst I try not to let my personal circumstances affect the work environment, given the extremity of the situation it must have come across during our telephone conversation. I will be more mindful in future.
Feedback is invaluable and I fully take on board your comments which will allow me to review areas of improvement for the benefit of future guests
bluestwo
Chester, United Kingdom
“lovely cottage great location”
Reviewed 4 November 2014 for a stay in October 2014
people found this review helpful

We have recently returned from a week at this cottage and we had a lovely time there. Firstly the location is amazing the cottage is on the waterfront and next to the old pier. Do not be put off by the pier it does not have any negative impact on your stay....if anything you will do a lot of people watching!

We went with our family and so there was the two of us and our two children (12yrs and 2yrs). The cottage is very welcoming and we all felt comfortable when we got there, especially with the little extras that were waiting. The cottage was very clean and had all that you need for a stay. The kitchen has all that you will need, the only thing that we felt that was missing was an oven dish as we decided to cook most meals in - but this didn't cause a massive problem for us we just improvised!

The bathroom has a lovely bath which both our boys took advantage of, the shower is in the main bedroom which initially thought was strange but caused us no problems at all.

The beds were very comfortable and again very clean with towels provided and ample storage space for your things.

The living room is also very comfortable with enough seating. There is a TV and DVD player and also some games and books. There was also information on what to do in the surrounding area.

There are two log burners in the cottage, one in the kitchen and one in the living room. We used both of these and had no problems with them as they are clearly looked after. We did find that we had to use the heating too as at times it went a bit chilly. The heating is excellent and heated the cottage very quickly which was needed after being out for a full day on the local beaches skimming stones.

We would definitely recommend that you use the local butchers found behind the cottage as the selection is amazing and they have a great choice...the steak pie was amazing!! A trip down the road to the little up and coming garden centre is also a must they are a small business just starting out - you can buy your logs here which we didn't realise until later in the week.

If you do enjoy going out and about and exploring I would also recommend looking up geocaching - its a bit like a digital treasure hunt!! We hadn't heard of it until the Pier Master, Gavin explained it to us!

The view from the kitchen is lovely especially with all the different ships passing - we were lucky enough to see a submarine go past!

The cottage is somewhere that we will definitely be returning to, I cannot reiterate how lovely it is there and I would recommend it to anyone. The owners are also lovely and made you feel very welcome and also could approach if you had any issues which we didn't. I personally don't think that the photographs do it justice...you need to stay to see how lovely it is. Thank you for a lovely holiday and we will hopefully see you next year!

Liked best: The location
Travelling group: Other
Families with young children
THBell
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Comfort, location, relaxation!”
Reviewed 20 July 2014 for a stay in July 2014
person found this review helpful

We are just back from a very chilled and enjoyable holiday in the lovely Pier Cottage. The cottage is very comfortable, well maintained and well equipped and is situated on the shore at the end of Kilcreggan Pier. We benefited from mostly excellent weather and enjoyed the sun, the view and the privacy offered by the cottage's position. We didn't stray far from the cottage but there is certainly lots to do in the vicinity for those feeling energetic - shore walks, woodland walks, the Linn Botanic Gardens (two miles walk away in Cove, a great visit), a regular passenger ferry from the pier to Gourock and a weekly visit to the pier from the paddle steamer 'The Waverley'. A really enjoyable holiday, I'm sure we'll be back!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The comfort of the cottage.
Liked least: Nothing!
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing