Las Moradas del Unicornio
El Raco de Madremanya(Madremanya)
US$233
  • Breakfast included
Can Bassa(Madremanya)
US$192
La Pepa Maca(Monells)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Castell d'Emporda(la Bisbal d'Emporda)(Great Value!)
Hotel GR 92(Torroella de Montgri)
US$38
US$37
Hotel Palau De Girona(Sant Julia De Ramis)
US$94
URH Moli del Mig(Torroella de Montgri)(Great Value!)
US$132
Savings alert! 37% below average rates

The price you found is 37% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$208/night.

AC Hotel Palau de Bellavista(Girona)(Great Value!)
US$109
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$138/night.

US$119
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I would have stayed for months, if possible. We were there for an all too short week. The Castells are lovely people in EVERY way. I am not sure what RonT58 was referring to concerning upkeep and overdue maintenance. Whatever this was must have been addressed, as everything was in excellent condition. We had the opportunity to see each suite due to the timing of our arrival, as well as explore the entire exterior. Kim and Olga are exceptional people. Kim is very knowledgeable about the area and is happy to point you in the direction of your interests, and is an excellent host. The drives are relatively short to the beaches and more tourist type towns. Pubol has a number of quaint shops as well. You would miss much beauty and an extraordinary talent if you do not look at Kim's world renowned photography. (They have a number, if not all, of his many published books.) A visit to Salvador and Gala Dali's home should be on your list, particularly since it is within a very short walking distance. Also within walking distance is the family owned restaurant Can Bosch...wonderful. But nothing (emphasis added) beats Olga's cooking. OH MY!! Olga will do anything that she can, within reason of course, for your stay to be as you wish. She is a lovely woman in every way. We booked the White (Blanco) Unicorn suite, which is not only beautiful, intriguing, but also roomy. This is especially helpful if you are not on a romantic trip BUT it would certainly work if you were! The suite is the only one that has a separate 'living room' so one can go to bed, and another can read or relax alone without concern of disturbing the sleepy head. To say this is a step back in time is an understatement, as the Unicorn (building) is hundreds of years old. But everything has been updated, decorated with taste and flare, and with all of the amenities one could ask for. I would choose Las Moradas del Unicornio over a hotel anytime. This kind of ambiance cannot be found elsewhere....at least not that I have found. I also highly endorse Rosa's breakfast (see RonT58's reference to the Dali's housekeeper). You best have a hearty appetite, or plan on splitting the breakfast!! Well worth the euros. It is impossible to address the view of the Pyrenees (Canigou covered in snow...wow) as well as the friendliness of the townspeople of Pubol. Also, an extremely nice and very thoughtful revision was made to our suite. I was with a female friend of many, many years. We have vacationed together numerous times, always having separate bedrooms. The Castells' arranged two twin beds pushed together (due to room size), but made up separately...just for us! Where else would you find that kind of consideration? If you desire the same old, same old....then go to a Hilton. If you want the experience of a lifetime, then the Unicorn should be your choice. I could go on and on, but I believe the reader will get the idea.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank KatA258
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Is is possible to have a romantic weekend by yourself?
The answer is absolutely YES in this magical boutique hotel next to the Gala Dali Castle!

Kim & Olga, the proprietors & hosts, welcomed me into their extraordinary home feeling like I was walking into a dream. I was transported to the Unicornio Pata suite on the second floor located in a turret with a spectacular view of the Canigou snow covered mountains. Enchanting is putting it mildly...It had a fireplace, along with a very modern bathroom. all surrounded with windows. A sunny terrace was just outside the door overlooking the gardens with tall majestic trees hundreds of years old. The pristine turquoise pool reflecting them even further~ Now this was truly dreamland!

The most surprising part was the culinary skills of Olga. I had read in reviews about how incredible her food was, but me being a seasoned foodie was skeptical~ DELICIOUS is putting it mildly. There is something about the quality of the ingredients that sends the taste buds into a frenzy. How can a seemingly normal salad taste that alive? Kim & Olga said the olive oil, fruits & vegetables produced in Catalonia have optimal flavors due to the properties in the soil combined with the angle of the sun. Olga is from the Basque region of Spain. Her authentic dishes put any French chef on the chopping block!

My only suggestion was for her to offer cooking seminars & I would be the first to book.

The Unicorn was a spectacular experience that will be with me forever~

Room Tip: A detailed description of The Suite Unicornio Pata is in my review... I did get to see some of the other suites on the ground floor. They were equally as enchanting, although dimmer light, with access out to the gardens. Each suite was totally different & had very elaborate decor. Kim & Olga must have collected treasures for decades~
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 August 2012

This is a special place, opposite Dali's castle in a very quiet village (with some tourists walking around during the day). Interesting mansion, decorated and designed in a unique style by the extremely friendly owners: renowned photographer Kim and his wife Olga - the latter only speaking Spanish -. We stayed in the big suite, which is a bit cave-like, has its own terrace at the pool, assorted perfumes throughout the room and paintings of unicorns on the ceiling. Great breakfast is served by the 78 year old former housekeeper of Gala (Dali's wife and muse). Relaxing music is playing, candles are burning outside and in the lobby when we return from dinner late in the evening. The owners were away when we wanted to check in, due to some misunderstanding and business emergencies. They arrived a bit stressed at the end of the day. As much as we wanted to like their property, we felt that the overdue maintenance - both in the room and in the not too inviting garden and swimming pool - discounted the hefty price tag of this stay. Others may value it more than we did, as they may seek for 'real authenticity'.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2012

My husband and I had the pleasure of staying here for 3 nights in April. This is a unique and welcoming establishment. Kim and Olga are indeed extraordinary hosts and they went out of their way to make our stay special. As it was our 1st wedding anniversary we decided to renew our vows in their lovely garden setting. We were delighted that Kim and Olga joined in our celebration and made it something to remember. As others here have mentioned, Olga's cooking and hospitality is beyond compare. If we are to mention a negative (and we really are scratching to do so), we too felt that at times the music was a little intrusive. Pubol is a remarkable village with cobblestones,a village square, medieval castle and amazing scenery. It can be a little hard to find though especially if you don't have a GPS............hmm that's another story. Beware of hire car companies that don't let you reserve a GPS when making your booking. If driving from Barcelona follow the signs to La Pera at the North Girona exit as Pubol is not signed. Olga does not speak English but like all good hosts she still manages to communicate and her enthusiasm and warmth are endearing. Our room was magical and we have attached some photos of our stay which say it all. We'd return in a heartbeat !
Ann and David, Brisbane, Australia.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank annsan61
Reviewed 29 March 2012

My wife and I stayed at Las Moradas del Unicornio for 1 night in February as we where visiting El Celler de can Roca in nearby Girona (about 30 mins in a cab). We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and found Olga and Kim to be friendly, welcoming hosts. Olga doesn't speak English but is clearly very passionate about the house, whereas Kim's English is excellent. The house itself is full of character and beautifully decorated. We stayed in the Dorado room which is huge (love the giant sofa) and has patio doors onto the lovely garden. Unfortunately it was too cold to use the pool but I imagine in the summer its great. Olga showed us the other rooms and all look equally lovely and full of character. Olga also arranged for flowers and champagne to be in the room on arrival as it was my my wifes birthday, plus prepared a gorgeous meet / bread / wine snack for us. Overall I loved it and my only regret is we stayed for only 1 night.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple