“Rude staff and made to feel unwelcome ”
Review of Dolce Vita

Dolce Vita
Ranked #90 of 371 Restaurants in Saint Julian's
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Specialising in exquisitely prepared seafood, the restaurant also enjoys one of the most picturesque views. The attention to detail and fine decor redefines any fine dining experience.
Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

We came here on the last day of our holiday thinking it would be a real treat. We were made to wait downstairs while the ‘receptionist’ called up to see if there was a table available. When we finally went upstairs, although the terrace was full, the rest of the restaurant was empty so not sure why we had to wait downstairs. Our food and drink order was taken by the manager who was quick to point out that we hadn’t ordered enough to fullfill the €20 pp minimum on food. Had we been told there was a minimum spend prior to going up, we probably wouldn’t have gone. However the manager was quick to point out we would need to order desserts too as our pasta dishes were ‘only’ €14. I was also asked by a waiter why I wasn’t drinking any wine which I found incredibly rude. We ended up ordering starters, mains and desserts but still felt like we were a burden to the staff. The food was average-especially dessert. I ordered the ice cream and got a very small portion for €5. I would only go here for the views, which we didn’t get as we were sat inside. This could be a really nice place if the staff and the minimum spend was improved.

5  Thank Julie B

Reviewed 7 August 2018

We went here for a meal with some friends it was not our first choice but as our party was rather large ( 13 people ) and it was some of the groups last night we decided to go here as we were finding it hard to get a table at our preferred restaurants. We had taken the TA reviews into account but I think previous reviewers were too kind in the reviews. Included in our party were 2 restaurant owners from the UK who could not believe the attitude of the staff especially the manager, main faults were on arrival we sat for almost 30 minutes with no offer of a drink only a wine list had been provided, when we asked for drinks the order was served incorrect with 4 of 13 people having no drinks served at all when one of our party pointed this out she was dismissed by a wave of the waiters hand! At this point i would normally have walked out but as this was our last night we decided to tough it out, one of our party then spoke to the manager re the dismissive waiter and the manager gave not so much an apology but a defence of the waiters actions! So much for customer care, there was then 3 bottles of water almost thrown down on the table for consumption before the original drinks order was rectified, we all decided to have mains only but even 2 of these orders were incorrect, one stake being undercooked and another order brought totally incorrect, by the time the correct food was brought most of us had finished their own food. Some of the party rated the food as good but I myself would rate my steak as only average, I have had much much better. Overall I would say the restaurant has a great setting, the food no better than average but the staff are simply atrocious which I put down to the attitude of a very arrogant manager who summed this up when it came to us settling the bill and when one of the restaurant owners within our party tried to speak to him re the service on a professional level he was dismissed out of hand, my friend even pointed out we were not even offered a second drink and at no time were any of the party even asked if the food was ok, a standard courtesy in most restaurants. I hope the owner reads these reviews because the manager must be costing him money on a daily basis and i think the restaurant would benefit with a change of staff attitude if not a change of manager. Fellow diners do yourself a favour and go elsewhere.

4  Thank aries18
Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

The Dolce Vita was a nice resturant within walking distance of our hotel and overlooking the lively spinola bay. We had the impression the place would be packed by the response when we called to make a reservation, but there were people only on the terrace. I had a fresh catch of the day which was well prepared and delicious while my husband had the stuffed swordfish which was a rather odd dish which had too much going on- you could hardly taste the fish. The sides of potatoes and vegetables were rather weak and tasteless. Wine was poured a bit too fast, like they wanted us to get another bottle. Overall a mediocre experience, great view though, but I don‘t think we would go again.

Reviewed 1 August 2018

Restaurant is located in a very beautiful spot. It is close to everything and easy to get to. However, number of servants were not enough. We had to wait a lot for each thing and wait to call someone if you need something. It took us pretty long time to finish the whole dinner. I don't think I would go there again.

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank leebico
Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

The entrance to the restaurant was unnecessarily pretentious; the receptionist called upstairs to check if they had a table, despite the restaurant being half empty. When we sat down and started to look at the menu, we realised there was a 20 Euro minimum spend on food per person. I’m sure we would have spent more than this with drinks included, but we found this put pressure on us when trying to choose our dishes, and there were no options that we actually wanted that fit this price requirement. In the end we left the restaurant because we felt uncomfortable.

Date of visit: June 2018