Thon Hotel Kirkenes
US$125
ScandicHotels.com
US$109
TripAdvisor
All reviewssea viewomelettenorthern lightshurtigruten cruisein townmodern hotelnice viewcomfortable roomssuperior roomexcellent breakfastfree tea and coffeethe busking crabexcellent hotelunderfloor heatingstayed one nightnorwegian hotels
Reviewed 11 September 2017

I loved this hotel. I have become a total fan of the “Thon” brand. Thee are only two hotels in Kirkenes, I believe. This is the newer one. It is situated on the sea, with breathtaking views of the sea and sunset, if your room is facing West. I was literally, blown away. The scenery is not like anything I’d ever seen before, and has almost an other worldly quality. The town is very small, so you can run out and explore, pick up a few things you forgot, or get a drink or a bite, provided anything’s open when you arrive. The taxis into town from the small airport cost over $60.00, while there is the BLUE bus, that takes everyone in for $6.00, and you can pay with a credit card, on the bus, or purchase online, beforehand. The only thing is, then entire busloads arrive at the hotel, all at once, so there’s always a line, checking in (and out, as most guests seem to be getting on a Hurtigruten cruise), so they all leave at once, as well, to get on the complimentary 11:10 bus that takes them to the ship, a mile or so away. So get ready to wait in line. Checking out, they only had one poor soul at the front desk - they do need to man it better, during peak times. The hotel is modern, but cozy, with a restaurant looking out onto the beautiful sea, serving the freshest seafood imaginable, as well as meat, and others things.
I have to say - I tried the crab soup, but was disappointed - it seemed quite watery, with only a tiny bit of crab. But the restaurant was very busy, slammed, actually, so that may have impacted the food preparation. Also, I was dreaming of the she crab soup, the old Gladstone’s in Malibu, CA, used to have. But that was also, super creamy, so maybe this, was better for my waistline! There’s a small walk up bar, also. My room was basic, but clean, and oh, so comfortable, after a long day of plane travel. I wanted to stay for a WEEK! Breakfast was very good, in a sunny room, adjacent to the restaurant, with seating there, and in the restaurant as well.
I can’t say enough, about how much I enjoyed this hotel. I really think the owner of the Thon company, understands what people need, especially, weary travelers. We want everything to work, simplicity, comfort, practicality, good food, friendly, helpful people, convenient location, with views of local beauty or culture, and not to be overcharged continually - which makes people feel exhausted and robbed. I feel like I would fly all the way back up to Kirkenes, at the edge of the world, just to stay there for a week, enjoy the local scenery, and RELAX. Now- if the town, would just add a spa complex, with an indoor, heated pool, and jacuzis… ;)

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank InlovewGstaad
Reviewed 4 September 2017

Stayed in the Hotel for one night in early August 2017 and it was clean and serviceable.
WIFI was included in the room price and it was good.
The room (third floor facing the town - well actually an industrial building across the road) was clean and functional but small. The bathroom was also clean and met the essential requirements. Rooms with a view over the water would be more interesting, especially with the Hotel sitting partly over the water.
The restaurant was more like a suburban large cafe catering to conference groups and people awaiting a cruise ship. The food was edible but average at dinner (although to be fair we were late in) but more varied and good at breakfast.
Clearly a Hotel catering to the markets noted and not the place for a holiday stay.

Room Tip: Not a resort / holiday hotel. Views over the harbour would be nice.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2017

Top experience! A modern hotel with perfect location with stunning views across the fjord. The entire ground floor are wall to wall in windows - stunning, weather rain and shine. In perfect walking distance to the town centre. We ate in the restaurant both nights and were mighty impressed by the food, and the friendly staff who took time to chat with us. The hotel also has an UNBELIEVABLE breakfast! The selection was impressive - we ate, and ate and ate :D Two thumbs up - highly recommendable!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2017

This hotel is right on the harbor, and it was a wonderful place to stay for the night before flying back to Oslo. The restaurant was great, and the breakfast was wonderful - including omelets cooked to order. Our room was clean, and the bed was excellent. Parking was free.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Came to Kirkenes to catch the Hurtigruten cruise southbound and needed a place to stay the night before our departure. Chose the Thon Hotel based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. I haven't been disappointed yet and definitely was not disappointed this time. The bus from the airport stops right outside the front door and takes people right on to the Hurtigruten dock. We arrived around noon. The check in was quick and they had a room ready! The room is comfortable. The dining room is right on the water with picturesque views and good food. The breakfast is the best we've had in the week spent in Sweden and Norway. I am delighted that we made the decision to spend a night in Kirkenes and know this hotel was the right choice!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends