Solana Hotel and Spa
US$93
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 26% below average rates

The price you found is 26% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$125/night.

US$147
  • Restaurant
US$258
US$188
  • Breakfast included
US$273
US$222
Pergola Hotel & Spa(Mellieha)
US$95
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 48% below average rates

The price you found is 48% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$181/night.

US$149
US$145
Priceline
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$170/night.

US$375
US$225
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$261/night.

US$218
US$81
2,345 results
All reviewstosca restaurantthe busrooftop poolself cateringwelcome drinksister hotelhalf boardlovely hotelstudio roomsteep hillsmall balconybreakfast and dinnerhotel is situatedgreat holidayenjoyable staylovely roombusy road
Reviewed 23 November 2015

Would definitely recommend the hotel. It was extremely clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a junior suite room which has a two ring hob, small fridge and sink. The room also had a table and two chairs. It was perfect for having the occasion meal in the room and preparing packed lunches and having breakfast. The hotel buffet breakfast and the evening meals were very good value for money and offered a wide variety of food to suit all tastes. Lots of fresh vegetables and fruit available. Would definitely return as was a great base for exploring the island.

Room Tip: Our room had two balconies which overlooked a central small courtyard area. Initially I was a bit disappointed at this but it did mean we were away from the main road which may have been more noisy so did not affect the holiday at all.
Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 23 November 2015 via mobile

My wife and I have stayed at the Solana hotel many times and we have never been disappointed.
The food is very good and their Buffett is not be missed.The rooms that we have had have been clean and spacious and we have always found the staff to be very helpful and attentive.Needless to say we shall be going back again.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Timothy P
Reviewed 23 November 2015 via mobile

Lovely hotel, definitely deserving of four stars. It's immaculate which is very important to us. We asked to move rooms as our neighbours we're too noisy. Not an issue they moved our bags straight away and our room was in an odd place of the hotel underground, however what a lovely room. Breakfast was fabulous. We were half board however, and dinner was ok, nothing special. Will definitely stay again, however only with breakfast. Staff so friendly and helpful, really added to the experience.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank Lolita J
Reviewed 22 November 2015

Great stay, friendly, excellent staff, good meal, a goood place to go and visit all Malta island and Comino also. The hotel is placed on a main street but is quiet because almost all rooms are placed not on yhe street side. The staff is frendly, the meal is good and various, clean, quiet hotel. It has also a spa.

Room Tip: Room with numbers 101-1116 or 201-215 are quieter and have good view.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2015

This will be a long review so brace yourselves!
Where do I begin?! Me and my partner booked a 'Promo' room at the Solana through lowcostholidays.com. The website also allowed us to request a sea view and I was left with the impression that these rooms offer one. It was back in August when we booked it and I cannot remember all the details of the booking, therefore I cannot argue for sure that we've paid for sea view. However, there was an option to choose sea view and I was led to believe we could have it. When we arrived at the hotel it was 10pm, we were tired and wanted to go to bed right away. Well, it was 2am before we even managed to get a room that we could actually sleep in!

At our arrival we were greeted by a friendly receptionist - Monica - who explained about what services are available and sent us to our room at level -1. I thought this was a bit odd but decided to check it out anyway. And odd it was!! Room 2109 is officially the worst room of a 4 star hotel I've ever seen! The room is actually in the basement, with a tiny sliding window at the top of the wall overlooking... car tyres! There was another tiny window hidden behind a curtain that was overlooking 4 walls. No fresh air and no daylight! The A/C was not working either, the air was damp and there was mould on the ceiling. There was no way we could stay in this room, so we complained but were told there was nothing better available, and if we could sleep there for tonight only as in the morning there would be more rooms when other guests leave. My partner was not even willing to consider sleeping there. We demanded that our room is changed as we have not paid for a basement! After about 2 hours of waiting and Monica trying to convince us that there were no better rooms even in their sister hotel, we said that we wanted to speak to the manager. Of course, this was not going to happen, so, miraculously a room was found in their sister hotel Pergola. It was a fantastic room, with a balcony and a great view! The next morning we vacated the room and I questioned the reception manager Pierre why did we have to be moved to another hotel and why were we given a basement in the first place. And the answer was, more or less - if I were you I would have paid for a better room! How dare he tell us how to spend our money?! We paid for a room with a window, not a basement! I found Pierre very rude and ignorrant. He argued with customers,which is a complete no-no in customer service but I doubt that he had received any CS training! Anyway, we were sent back to Solana and given a room on level 0. The room was still dark, with no fresh air - the only window was about 50cm wide and 1m tall, and was overlooking a closed space, with piece of sky at the top. The reception office was right across our window and we could hear the staff speaking loudly at night, which was not very nice, neither professional on their side. If we tried opening the window to get some sort of air, we could smell food from the kitchen, or cigarette smoke coming from one of the rooms (even though all rooms and balconies are non-smoking), or the reception staff would be arguing.
The A/C was not working on arrival again but this was sorted out after a few hours, which was good as it was the only way we could get the room to a normal temperature of 20, and not 30 degrees! However, the filters of the A/C were worn out I suppose as there was a bad smell every time we turned it on. There was no point complaining anymore so we just carried on living in this room for the week. We spent little time in it anyway, but our sleep wasn't as pleasant as I would have liked it to be.
I must also say that we were offered to upgrade on our first night and pay for a studio - which makes me think there were other rooms after all!!!

Breakfast is probably good for people who like sausages and egg in the morning. I am not a fan of a savoury breakfast and I found there was little choice for someone like me. I would have liked croiassants more often (there were some the last day), french toast or american pancakes. There were pancakes every other day but they were a bit soggy and too oily.
Food at dinner was well prepared but still not too much choice, it was more or less the same every day - pasta, fish, chicken, pork and beef. I don't eat much meat so I was stuck with pasta and salads, and some fish. I believe this is on purpose, so you can go and pay for dinner at the other restaurant.
I found the waiters at the Bellini restaurant quite rude and inefficient. We don't drink much alcohol so we only ordered a glass of wine once. The waiter tried to persuade me to buy a whole bottle and when I declined she brought the glass with an attitude, turned her back on me and mumbled 'Enjoy' over her shoulder. Her name is Martina, so if any of the managers are reading this you may want to give her some further training. Our table was often not cleaned of empty dishes too. It makes me think that people who do not spend money on alcohol are not very welcome, and not given much attention either.

I must admit that after I demanded that we are reimbursed for the wasted first day and the bad experience, we were given a spa treatment. It was OK, the staff was nice and the facilities were fine. I've had better spa treatments, but since it was free I guess they did not put much effort into it. I don't blame them. I would not have paid 60 EUR for it though, let's put it that way. Also, the working hours are not very convenient. It would be better if they finish later in the evening, around 8 pm maybe. I wanted to book eye brows and arm waxing but could not find a convenient time, so I booked it with the salon next to the hotel. I was surprised to find out that it was twice as cheap!!

We wanted to make use of the pool and jakuzzi but the pool was dirty and the jakuzzi was too cold, so no joy there either.

Overall our experience at the Solana was bad! I don't think it is a 4 * hotel, more like very generous 3 *. The only good experience we had was at the bar - service was good, and the Friday night musician is fab!

On the comment card I put it was OK value for money but thinking back, I've had better holidays for less.
In this rating, I don't know how to rate cleanliness - rooms were clean, no doubt, but the pool wasn't, and restaurant was not always promptly cleaned up.

I would not recommend this hotel for someone who is looking to book a non-balcony room, or is vegetarian / does not eat much meat, or is not much of a drinker. You will be disappointed.

Room Tip: Do not choose an inside room, balcony or not!
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple