“Ruined evening”

Il-Baldakkin Bistro & Lounge
Ranked #7 of 10 Restaurants in San Lawrenz
Description: Il-Baldakkin offers a bistro-style menu with some Mediterranean flair. It offers the perfect setting for a relaxed casual meal overlooking the pool and the beautiful tropical garden. A very extensive teas menu makes it the best place for an afternoon tea with friends and family.
Reviewed 21 August 2021 via mobile

We went in to the restaurant at 8:20 and our order was taken at around 8:35. After around 45 mins of waiting for the food the waiter came to apologize that the order somehow did not make it to the kitchen and they had just told them to do it. They were polite to excuse themselves of the problem, which is fine, these things happen sometimes. The problem was that the recovery of the situation was abysmal. We were asked if we want "anything", like what exactly were they expecting us to ask for? It's not that she came with a menu or offered us any option. We just wanted our food. It's not that they came up with a free snack, at least we eat something while we wait. I wonder what they were expecting me to say.

In the meantime our son, tired of waiting fell asleep. When the food eventually came, after almost one and half hours, my wife had to somehow eat with one hand while holding our son clinging on to her. The fries we ordered for him were useless. The food was evidently rushed because the lamb kofta was raw pink in the middle. At that point I was too hungry to complain and just ate, supposedly lamb is safe to eat raw.

At this point we needed to end the situation because our son was evidently uncomfortable and started to complain, so we asked for the bill. We were offered a free drink... Like seriously, all this hassle is supposedly going to be fixed with a free drink? (Other restaurants offer you a free drink when everything goes well to thank you for your custom, not when things go wrong). My wife doesn't even drink. I politely declined, but the waitress insisted i take it to my room. (Again wtf, was i expected to carry a drink all the way to our room, while my wife carries my son asleep?) Incredibly, with all the hassle of our son complaining loudly, they left us staring at the bill for another 10 mins, and i had to go myself to settle it at the cash register.

Needless to say, while the situation was a genuine mistake, it was badly handled and followed up. The food quality was not good (evidently rushed to recover from the problem) and our son didn't even eat his due to the delay. Considering the prices, the least they could have done is give us a discount on the bill, at least for the hassle caused, rather than offering me a cheap drink.

Date of visit: August 2021
Kempinski_SanLawrenz, General Manager at Il-Baldakkin Bistro & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear josefb246,

first of all, I would like to thank you for staying at Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz whilst visiting the beautiful island of Gozo.

The entire team regrets to read that we were unable to meet and exceed your expectations. Creating memorable experiences for our esteemed guests is our daily source of motivation.

I regret that you encountered some inconveniences during your dinner. This is truly not the experience we want our guests to have. Please rest assured that we have reviewed your comments and feedback in detail with my team. Most certainly the problems with the service experienced are not acceptable and I hope you can accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences and frustration caused.

Certainly, we do hope to welcome you back and to serve you again here at Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz. I would like to offer you an invitation to a complimentary dessert upon your next visit.

Eike Clausen

Write a reviewReviews (24)

Reviewed 20 July 2021

We had a nice dinner that was tasty but perhaps prices do not exactly match the quality of the food, meaning it should cost about 20% less for what we got.
Generally we enjoyed the place and I still recommend it.

One evening I went by myself to enjoy some cocktails and a cigar outside. After asking the waiter if I can get an ashtray, I was told that smoking is currently not allowed as other guests might complain due to Covid. I was fine with it and continued to enjoy my really nice cocktail. 20 minutes later some other guests sat down at the next table smoking and waiter told me, that it is OK for me to smoke If I wish as other people are smoking as well. I am generally a non-smoker, but this particular night enjoying a nice Cuban cigar was what I really wanted and lighted up with pleasure.
10 minutes later another waiter comes by, and tells me that smoking is not allowed, and I need to put it out. This was confusing as I just got a go-ahead from the other guy and now this. Considering a cigar is not exactly something you throw away like a cigaret I complained and explained what happened. The second waiter protested a bit as I refused to put out the cigar and after a few minutes I received a fresh ashtray, so I guess they accepted the situation. Solution was to my satisfaction but the hustle around it all made my evening less than great.
Cocktails are great as mentioned, but to drink it through the paper straws is ridiculous. I am sure hotel could find a better solution for their guests and premium drinks. Either use plastic straws and let customers know how great you are at recycling them, or use metal straws or anything else, because this paper crap is useless. It melts about 10 minutes into your cocktail and all you can taste is paper and glue.
I realize that this paper straw ridiculousness is not exactly hotels fault, but perhaps hotel could find alternative solution.

Date of visit: July 2021
1  Thank Mihaz85
Kempinski_SanLawrenz, General Manager at Il-Baldakkin Bistro & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2021

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sparing the time to provide us with your feedback on your recent stay.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed a lovely dinner and we appreciate you recommending us on TripAdvisor.

Your feedback is very important for us in order to track the areas in need of improvement to ensure that we deliver the luxury service that our guests expect from us. I apologise for the confusion you experienced during your evening. Rest assured that your valuable comments have been shared and discussed with the department heads concerned in order to rectify the misunderstanding that you have experienced.

At Kempinski, we aim to build a future without compromising the environment. By this, we have eliminated all single use plastic, we do have paper straws due to our sustainability efforts. We do appreciate your suggestion to find an alternative solution and please rest assured that we already have something in the pipeline to have a better alternative from the paper straws.

Thank you very much for choosing Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz for your holiday and I hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Gozo.

Best Regards,
Eike Clausen

Reviewed 14 May 2018

We did not stay at this hotel but enjoyed a very nice cappuccino at the beautifully decorated foyer. We were tipped to go here by some local people we met at another restaurant to enjoy the view from the terrace but it was already dark when we arrived. Nonetheless a nice place to go to!

Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

Ideal place to relax with friends over coffee or gin and tonic - and you can be there all evening. They have 2 separate hours for reduced drink prices, last one between 9.30 and 10.30. Great marble tables to play cards on too. Superb view over pools. Snacks and hot food available.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

This hotel has several dining options.This one is our favourite.It has a varied menu. Something for everyone in a group.It is more expensive than local restaurants but the food is excellent and for a five star hotel reasonably priced.The bar has a happy hour 6.30 until 7.30 so a pre supper cocktail on the terrace is a must.

Date of visit: August 2017