All reviewsborneo eco tourspygmy elephantsthe rivernight cruiseboat tripceiling fansmall poolplunge poolair conditioningsir davidwildlife viewingrainforest lodgesandakan airportgomantong cavesboard walkspot animalspalm oil plantations
Reviewed 12 August 2018

This accomodation was the highlight of our trip. Beatiful setting, very good food (enough choice for vegetarians and vegans), friendly and helpful staff and clean, beautiful rooms. And, to make it all even better, we had many wildlife encounters when walking to/from our rooms to dinner! We even saw a mother orangutan with her child making a nest in the three above our rooms. You will not regret splurging to stay here :)

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Eva1001x
Reviewed 12 August 2018

Can't give this experience high enough praise. No idea how people could give this anything less than 5 stars.

Stayed here in late July 2018 as our first stop of a 3 week SE Asia tour. We did the 'Orang Utan Search' Tour and we stayed in one of the villas. So my review is specifically for those details.

Our experience was absolutely amazing. Everything was spot on, I couldn't have asked for better. Our guide, Rahman, was one of the best tour guides I've ever had. I have travelled to ~35 countries and done lots of tours, so I have a large sample size. He was stellar and the entire staff at the lodge was amazing. I had never been to a Nat Geo 'unigue lodge' and thought it might just be marketing. To the contrary, this place doesn't need the marketing, they can stand on their own.

Don't believe any negative reviews. If you want a 5 star hotel where you don't interact with the wildlife, the local people or get the rainforest experience, this place isn't for you. If you're coming to have a true jungle experience w/ more than a touch of luxury, you will not be disappointed. And ask for Rahman as your guide, that man made our vacation.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Happy_Traveller28282
Reviewed 12 August 2018

Superb spot to take a boat on the river and explore the wild nereby. Sightings of orangutan, elephants, proboscis monkeys and makaks granted!
The villas are very nice. Note: you are in the jungle! Ants and other insects are normal, despite the structure is very clean.
Boat trips very well organised. Go there with Borneo Eco Tour.
To improve the food variety and quality, just sufficient.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Massimo P
Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

This is a wonderful place to stay right in the heart of the rainforest. It's lush and tranquil with lovely rooms, fantastic service and a great range of foods even catering well for a coeliac!!! The day and night boat tours were very informative and we saw amongst other animals and birds, a herd of pygmy elephants swimming the river, a few elusive orang utans at the lodge itself, kingfishers, proboscis monkeys and a civet cat .... It was just a magical place to stay aided by the staff and Borneo eco tours team. Thanks to joy our very knowledgeable guide and to the naturalist who did the talk on orangutans and made us laugh!!!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2018

My friend and I stayed here in July of 2018, and I've delayed writing this review because I simply cannot express how wonderful the experience was. I'm struggling with where to start:

Food: The food was far tastier than I had been expecting, particularly given how rustic the surroundings are. It was a decent mix of Western and local foods, and regularly an item would show up on the menu that was total foreign to me and accompanied by an explanation ("bitter melon salad" was an example of this during my stay).

Rooms: I cannot speak for the regular rooms, but villas were well worth the price of the upgrade, if you would like a little luxury. They are new and beautiful, and we could not have asked for more. The back porch overlooks lovely greenery with tons of little animals as well.

Massage: I actually had a surprisingly massage here. The lady that gave it had really strong hands and applied a lot of pressure (I consider this a positive). I guess this was surprising to me, as I expected the massage to be just average, since the focus is on nature and animals. However, the massage quality is another indicator that all details are attended to here.

Animals: One can never guarantee that the animals will come out for you, but they did for us. We saw more monkeys than I could have possibly anticipated (macaques, proboscis, langurs). We spotted a caluga, which are rather rare (thanks to our helpful guide). We lucked out and saw a large group of elephants unexpectedly. The highlight was a large male organ, hanging out on the edge of a road, literally a few feet from us. We saw large numbers of creatures, great and small, that are too numerous to mention.

Guide: One of the most important parts of our trip was our terrific guide, Rahman. He was incredibly well informed about the animals and nature, spoke terrific English, and was an all around great guy. You could really see how much pride he took in his job. While recognizing that many tourists are interested in the "big" animals like orangs and elephants, he also took the time to point out small interesting things like new snails. He also had a real love for animals: at one point during one of our boat tours, he pulled a dying bird out of the water, and conducted chest compression with his little finger on it in an attempt to save it (it was sadly beyond help). It was really the moment though that drove home that our guide was not only well informed, but also really liked the animals he was showing us.

All in all, if you are thinking of going, just go. Buy your ticket and just go. I simply can't say enough great things.

Room Tip: Go for the upgrade and get a villa
  • Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple