The Eltermere Inn
US$178
  • Pool
US$120
  • Breakfast included
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa(Grasmere)
US$218
  • Pool
Oak Bank Hotel(Grasmere)
US$171
Hotels.com
All reviewslake districtstone arthurroaring firelangdale valleycosy barhomemade biscuitspork bellydamson ginskelwith bridgeafternoon teacountry house hotelspecials boardfabulous foodroll top bathwell stocked barhigh standardcomfortable hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

We had the most wonderful three night stay here. The location is just right. The quirky room was decorated to the highest standard with a lovely freestanding bath, perfect for a soak after a wet day walking the fells. The food was delicious and fair value for money. We loved the breakfast with a great choice and plenty of it. All the staff were friendly and helpful. We definitely will be returning here.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2017

A friend and I love doing the walk around Elterwater and Skelwith Bridge and decided yesterday to combine it with Sunday lunch at the Eltermere which we pass every time we do the walk. I have eaten here once before but it was going to be the first time for her.

We both opted for the roast beef which was delicious and I followed it up with a beautiful and moist orange cake with chocolate mousse and ice cream.

The Eltermere is a traditional country inn and we ate in the bar area. We did find the service a little odd and not especially warm and welcoming (though the lady who took our original booking was very pleasant). When I asked for recommendations regarding the pudding, it was met with a blank stare.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2017 via mobile

Lovely place with great food, could have eaten anything off the menu the service is excellent the rooms are nice and the location peaceful - nicely decorated and good prices
I had sirloin and my wife had hake it was all well prepared

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

Me and my partner decided to go on a 5mile walk from Skelwith Bridge, where we was staying. We found a 5 mile walk in a folder at our lodge that we decided on for our first walk in The Lakes. We set off and the walk was amazing until the directions became very vague. We ended up lost, still miles from home with a Jack Russel with bad knees that got far too heavy to carry in the dog carrier that I had brought to carry him in. We managed to get back as far as the Eltermere Inn on a fairly wet and windy day with the distance we had covered already being nearly 9miles and decided we would try and call a taxi to take my partner back from there to our accommodation. One of the staff, a gentleman who's name I didn't get, was very helpful and tried helping me find a taxi but to no avail. My partner decided he would continue the walk to collect the car to come back and get me and our two dogs. Me and the dogs took shelter from the rain under a small porch roof outside until the lovely lady, I think her name was Amy, invited us in to sit by the fire to keep warm while we waited to be picked up. I just wanted to say how thankful and lovely it is that there are still some really kind people like this about and I was so grateful that she took pity on me and two wet and cold dogs after we ended up stranded. Thank you

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 October 2017

We visit The Eltermere every time we stay in the area, which is twice a year. We love the peaceful surroundings and the great view from the front garden. Usually it's just for drinks after a long walk but we also had dinner on almost each holiday. This recent holiday was no exception, when the weather did clear, we had our usual drinks in the garden and also had dinner on our last evening.
The bar/restaurant has a lovely atmosphere with the large open fire but the room next door can be a bit dark. Everyone enjoyed their meal and most had steak. However, I was disappointed with the Duo of Lamb which was tasty but a small portion for the price! My starter and pudding get full marks. I must say, this is the first time I've been disappointed and it won't stop me visiting again.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple