The Eltermere Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Langdale Hotel(Ambleside)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa(Grasmere)
  • Pool
Oak Bank Hotel(Grasmere)
View Hotel
All reviewslake districtstone arthurroaring firelangdale valleycosy barhomemade biscuitspork bellydamson ginskelwith bridgeafternoon teacountry house hotelspecials boardfabulous foodroll top bathwell stocked barhigh standardcomfortable hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 November 2017

Every year in November, my Other Half and I come up to the Lakes and every year we take a circular walk starting at Elterwater round via, Slaters' Bridge and Colwith Force. This routine is now extended to conclude with lunch at the Eltermere Inn.

We discovered this elegant and delightful spot last year, tempted in by the delicious-sounding menu posted daily by the entrance gates.

The lunch menu is somewhat shorter than the hand-written one we were offered last year, from which I enjoyed a lovely salad of scallops, and it contains an eclectic offering, ranging from soup to salt-and-pepper squid. My OH chose a sandwich of chicken and bacon and thoroughly enjoyed it. I was clever enough to go for the antipasti selection: a beautifully presented array of deliciousness that was subjected to repeated foraging attacks from Her Ladyship's fork. Chicken, duck, Parma ham, hummus, sun-dried tomatoes, olives and smoked salmon, and unidentified greenery, with tremendous little nuggets of pickled shallot and tiny cubes of beetroot. All for less than a tenner. I've thought about it every lunchtime since.

I helped it all on its way with a pint of local bitter -- one of a selection of three or four on the well-stocked bar -- and the total bill for two lunches came to just north of £25. Triffic value. I can't wait for next November to come round.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 November 2017

We stayed in the Willy Goodwaller room recently. The room is lovely with an amazing roll-top bath. The hotel is beautiful and the bar is especially snug when the fire is roaring. Breakfast in the dining room overlooking Elterwater and the fells was a particular treat.

Room Tip: We stayed in a premier room which was spacious
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike P
Reviewed 5 November 2017 via mobile

Today I fell in love with the Eltermere Inn, went walking with my friend and we found this wonderful Inn purely by chance. The decor is great, the staff
All happy to see you and look like they enjoy working in such a beautiful place. The food was delicious, the local ales just perfect, I will be back with my wife and dogs because I found a little piece of heaven that I have to enjoy again. Thank you to everyone there you made our visit extremely memorable

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 October 2017

Came here for the first time last week with a friend and opted for the Sunday lunch. It was served nicely and the beef was really good but something (I think it was the gravy) was quite sweet. The surroundings were really nice and cosy (lovely log fire in the bar area). Staff were pleasant and service was fine. I enjoyed my meal but afterwards thought it was quite expensive for what it was. I only had the one course because I thought the sweets at nearly £7 each were not worth it. I liked the place but not sure I would rush back - sorry.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

We had the most wonderful three night stay here. The location is just right. The quirky room was decorated to the highest standard with a lovely freestanding bath, perfect for a soak after a wet day walking the fells. The food was delicious and fair value for money. We loved the breakfast with a great choice and plenty of it. All the staff were friendly and helpful. We definitely will be returning here.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple