Puembo Birding Garden
US$70
Agoda.com
US$238
US$160
All reviewsbirding tripgiant hummingbirdher husbandthe ownersaffron finchesnothing is too much troubledifferent speciesbird watchingquito airportspecies of birdsfeel right at homeamazon basinfriendly placeoutdoor diningstreet dogsfirst morninggreat hosts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 March 2018

We worked with Mercedes to book a very complicated 3 week tour of Ecuador. In between weeks we stayed at Puembo Birding Garden-a very basic but comfortable and homey place. Mercedes cooked us dinner which was wonderful, did our laundry and worried about us all along the way. We are not birders but her gardens are beautiful, bird friendly. Would highly recommend staying here. We were very close to the airport which helped flying in and out of Quito. All of her staff were friendly and helpful

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Mercedes R, Owner at Puembo Birding Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2018

thank you Susan for your kind words. I am so thankful for your business and your love for nature.
do return.
Mercedes

Reviewed 19 February 2018

Puembo Birding Garden was our first stop in Ecuador for a birding vacation. We arrived extremely late but we were met at the airport and taken to the hotel. Very helpful

It was basic but comfortable. The garden’s were birdy and we enjoyed acclimating to the elevation while birding in the gardens and on the local streets in Puembo

Food was good and the service was very personal.

Mercedes and Jose were warm, friendly and helpful hosts. They made us feel right at home.

There are two sides to the hotel and we stayed on the “Jose side” but we also spent time on the Mercedes side which seemed very,very nice with lots of plants but was less. Birds.

I would return without hesitation!

Room Tip: Jose’s side was a lovely place to bir. His English is somewhat limited but that was not a problem
Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 February 2018

On the last day of a birding trip to Ecuador, I had about 12 hours between my flight into Quito, before my flight left for the US and all my bird-watching friends left on an earlier flight.
The airport posted an incorrect flight arrival time, so my pre-arranged hotel transfer did not appear. Mercedes invited me to join another couple on their ride from the airport. She graciously opened one of her comfortable lodge rooms so I could get some sleep before my midnight flight and prepared an additional lunch and dinner - delicious food and all without any advance notice whatsoever. Mercedes' driver was exactly on time to drive me back to the airport.
The bird-watching is great entertainment. My fellow guests were gracious and interesting company. Mercedes' dogs were friendly and cute. What could have been quite a lonely afternoon turned very enjoyable, thanks to Mercedes' hospitality and fine accommodations and cooking.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Mercedes R, Owner at Puembo Birding Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2018

thank you Irene for such kind comment.
we love having you.
I am glad you could rest.
mercedes

Reviewed 16 February 2018 via mobile

From first contact with Mercedes over 11 months ago until our last day in Ecuador we have enjoyed the care and attention (to detail) akin to that of a very dear friend. PBG has been our "base" for a 2 week birding holiday (to include the North West, Antisana .. for condor etc. and the Amazon basin) and we have started and finished each leg of our trip at this very special place .. just 20 mins from the airport. Mercedes planned and took care of our whole itinerary ... all accommodation, pick-ups, drivers / guides, meals etc (very very reasonably costed) .. everything tailor made to our needs and run like clockwork. We have been welcomed as if family; all meals at PBG homemade, locally sourced, plentiful and delicious. The beds equally delicious!
Mercedes is an extremely attentive and sensitive hostess. During our stays she has been up until 11pm and again up at 2am to accommodate different guests' arrivals and departures. Nothing is too much trouble. First class end to end. Very highly recommended.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Mercedes R, Owner at Puembo Birding Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2018

Dear Anne and Mark. the day you walked into Puembo Birding Garden and gave me a hug, I melted. You even brought me a present. I was the one moved and loved by you guys. I am thankful for meeting you. Stay in touch and do come back. Mark, your pictures of the harpy are superb. love you both.

Reviewed 13 February 2018

I recently returned from Ecuador where I was with a birding group. A few of us arrived a day early with an open day to spend locally in Puembo. Friends who arrived even earlier had already visited Puembo Birding Garden and recommended it to us. We arrived unannounced and were greeted warmly by Mercedes - even though she was having a group arrive later in the afternoon and surely must have been very busy. We spent the remaining part of the morning and the early afternoon birding their 4-1/2 acre property across the street and around the neighborhood. Following this we then returned to Mercedes's garden where we had drinks and then enjoyed an excellent lunch. We tasted tree tomato juice for the first time ever. Delicious. Mercedes showed us one of the eight rooms and it was charming - certainly nicer than the large hotel where we were staying waiting for our own trip to start. We returned to Puembo Birding Garden on our final day with hopes of seeing the Crimson-mantled Woodpecker. We didn't see it, but it had been seen a couple of days earlier. All in all, two very relaxing and enjoyable visits bookended a busy, strenuous birding trip. I would recommend PBG for a day visit or for a group (I think PBG can accommodate around 16 visitors) as the launching pad for day trips to birding locales. You will find it calm, relaxing, quiet and enjoyable. You can also go as an individual or as a small group.

Room Tip: Small accommodations lodge. All of the rooms are similar: simple, clean and quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Mercedes R, Owner at Puembo Birding Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2018

I have a super picture of you at Puembo Birding Garden. do you want me to send it by mail?
WIsh I could send COCO that easily.
jijij
loved loved having you.
Irene spent the day yesterday. had dinner and helped sing Happy Birthday to another lady guest.
love you girls