“First class”
Review of Sweet Basil Valley

Sweet Basil Valley
Ranked #1 of 33 Restaurants in Yeadon
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Our first visit since this business changed ( used to be called Red China). We were expecting a rather dull atmosphere as it is a large impersonal place however from stepping in to leaving everything was perfect. The decor reminded us of similar places in Penang or Thailand with large round tables equipped with lazy susans for larger parties , Chinese wooden screens and our party of three sat in the raised booths you often see on the side of these eateries. The extensive menu is Chinese and Thai so you are spoilt for choice however we seem to have made the right decisions. Starters were mixed Cantonese, spring rolls and baked green lipped mussels,not only delicious but the dishes were served with the fruit and veg cut decorations that are so plentiful in Asian cuisine. My husband even had an orchid on his starter! There is a good bar choice,my wine was perfectly chilled. Our mains were roast duck and pork in a soy sauce ( much nicer than it sounds), chicken with ginger and pineapple and my Thai Penang king prawns was extremely authentic, in fact I'd say it was a very classy version and far superior as it wasn't over chillied. The rice is served in small bowls. None of the dishes were greasy, each had it's own appeal and all extremely tasty. I would highly recommend this restaurant. We were all impressed.
Just one suggestion- the room is large and so the level of noise is heightened with everyone talking, it felt like we had to raise our voices to be able to have a conversation. The staff played Chinese music only towards the end of the evening, I wonder if a low key music background might be a bit more cheery?
Oh I almost forgot to mention that the banana fritter pudding (yes despite being pogged we just had to taste a pud)was delightful. Our portions were more than adequate, we felt we'd eaten more than we should!. Very pleasant staff, clean surroundings, delicious food, what's there not to like? I'd definitely return for more.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

We ate here early one Sunday evening and our group of 9 were seated well away from a bigger party including several children. Their behaviour was good but their noise created a strange school-canteen type of atmosphere. Our experience was not spoiled by this however.

It was an almost unanimous approval for food (just my hot and sour vegetable soup had lots of vinegar in). Staff were excellent at offering a replacement or removing the cost from the bill when I explained I like spicy food but not items that smell/taste overpoweringly of vinegar.

No complaints about mains though, everything was excellent in terms of quantity and quality. Food was very tasty and I thoroughly enjoyed the Mixed Special Ginger and Spring Onion dish.

Drinks are priced reasonably and it's possible to have a big blow out for around £20-£25 each.

Plenty of car parking on site and would visit again, as long as I opted for a less well-seasoned soup.

Reviewed 20 March 2018

I was with a group of friends, this was our first visit (although I had sampled their takeaway the previous week). It definitely won't be the last.
We opted for various starters. Peking and sour soup, Shanghai dumplings and the fishcakes. All cooked to perfection and extremely tasty.
The waiter and waitress were very attentive and friendly and checking everything was to our satisfaction.
Our main courses couldn't have tasted better. Absolutely superb! Thai green curry and Sizzling lamb satay.
Too full to try a desert we opted for coffees instead. Sadly no latte or cappuccino on the menu but hopefully they may appear in the future.
The drinks were reasonably priced. An added bonus was the 20% off the food bill for Monday evening diners throughout the month of March.
Fabulous food, wonderful staff and parking adjacent to the entrance.

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

This is the first time we have visited this restaurant we did not expect it to be so large a little canteen looking.It is reasonable in price and the main course portions are large. However the starters were smaller than average for this type of restaurant and were not very tasty the fish cakes were thin and flat the dumplings a little too soggy. Staff were very friendly and helpful, we gave the desserts a miss as the only one we fancied was the banana fritter but at £6 50 we thought it was a bit much but hey ho it could have been a giant one. If you like very large busy restaurants with large portions and not too bothered about presentation and authentic taste this is the place to go.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

We very much enjoy the food from Sweet Basil Valley, We eat regularly and have worked our way through the menu, though we of course have our favourites.
Its an upgrade from China Red (previous incarnation)
Very polite staff.
No doubt we will continue to eat here.

One question that I have put to them before, is that I have questioned the Salt levels in some of the meals? Never had much of an answer, but sometimes we're left with a raging thirst / dehydration?

2  Thank robfryleeds