“Dining off the edge of the continent”
Review of Sierra Mar

Sierra Mar
Reserve with OpenTable
Sierra Mar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 23 Restaurants in Big Sur
Price range: US$45 - US$120
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: High atop the cliffs, offering breathtaking views is Sierra Mar, winner of Wine Spectator's prestigious Grand Award. Offering an unconventional fine dining experience, Executive Chef John Cox presents inquisitive food creations featuring ingredients highlighted by a sense of place and culture. Selections from the award-winning wine cellar enhance the innovative, inspired cuisine.
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Quite honestly I don't care what you eat here...it's the experience that must not be missed. This restaurant literally cantilevers off the edge of the continent and the view is spectacular. The character is refined, rustic Big Sur. I visit in the day to take in the visuals. I have had lunch here quite a few times, both in the restaurant and on the patio. I love the tables in the corners, with windows on both sides, but the view can be seen from everywhere. The staff is very attentive, the food is delicious and the experience and ambiance are not to be missed. One of my favorite dining experiences of all time!

Reviewed 3 February 2012

Took a ride to Big Sur last sunday for business and gave the Post Ranch a call for lunch.
The receptionist on the phone was accomodating and pleasant and said come on down.
We were greeted and offered indoor or outdoor seating. It was a perfect winter day with exceptional clear skies and warm weather. We sat on the outdoor deck which provides an incredible view of the coastline.
They brought us the menus and water and gave us time to make our choices. Great wine list and beer selection and it was hard to choose what to have from all the tempting items.
We split an mushroom appetizer, a prawn salad, vegie sandwich and a lemon desert.
Brought us fresh bread choices and a olive, humus, pickled beet tray.
Everything was excellent and service was fine.
Be prepared for a $100 lunch for two but there is no where in the world that could compare........

Reviewed 10 January 2012

I'm sure this place is great for dinner (and very expensive), but the views MUST be seen in the daytime! Perched high on a cliff, it's a bit of a climb to get from the parking lot to the restaurant, but it is a beautiful wooden walkway through the redwoods (surely they have a handicapped entrance?!). I've never had a more enjoyable lunch experience -- truly dining even though it was salads and sandwiches. I had two glasses of champagne with a baby lettuce salad and a crabcake, and my husband had a lamb sandwich. There was also a complimentary appetizer consisting of marinated olives and cauliflower. $95 for lunch was definitely a splurge, but what a grand way to spend my 60th birthday!

Reviewed 14 November 2011

Really high class food but you do pay for it....worth it though! Great service as you would expect in restaurant of this calibre.
Amazing views over the Pacific Ocean.

Reviewed 10 November 2011

My husband and I ate at Sierra Mar for our anniversary dinner. The views were breathtaking, the service was excellent and the food was beyond memorable. We consider ourselves foodies and loved every minute of it. Go for a special occasion and don't look at the bill!! Just remember the views and the experience.