African Heart Backpackers(Observatory)(Great Value!)
US$25
US$24
  • Breakfast included
Green Elephant(Observatory)(Great Value!)
US$35
US$29
  • Pool
33 South Backpackers(Observatory)(Great Value!)
US$37
US$61
Hotels.com
Bohemian Lofts Backpackers(Observatory)(Great Value!)
US$30
Hostelworld.com
Sandra's Guestrooms(Observatory)
Agoda.com
Agoda.com
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights last year, don't think I will be coming back in a hurry. Don't get me wrong it's in a good location (obs) wise and the lady on reception was nice to us. If your after a quiet night, look somewhere else, this place is above a pub.

The rooms are fairly cramped, the whole building is somewhat dirty, old and worn out. We wanted to use the kitchen to cook, but the facilities are not particularly great nor clean. Looking back I'm not too sure its 100% safe either, as anyone can enter the hostel once inside the pub.

Just not very pleasant inside! We paid 135 Ran a night p/p and after checking out we realised there were cheaper places which were a lot more pleasant

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jamie M
Reviewed 21 February 2013

This hostel is over a pub which is great if you're only staying in obz to party but not so great if you want to sleep at all.

The pub itself is a good place for a few drinks and is quite cheap.

I was very unlucky to be staying in a dorm where 2 different girls on 2 different nights vomited on the floor.

The staff were cool but I think they ate my food!

The kitchen is gross!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 January 2013

One of the safest and backpacker friendliest places in Cape Town!
The combination of a very safe place to sleep, the very helpful, friendly staff + a great location are making this place recommendable.

Entertainment, like public viewing, live music, comedy night, restaurant, braai or or or... are within spitting distance of the backpackers.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 February 2012

I filled out the online booking form and called to confirm my reservation a week ahead. the night before I leave they send me an email saying I need to make a deposit and one of the rooms which I had requested is now full!!

So at midnight the day before I leave I am trying to pack and book a new room in a different - and MORE RELIABLE place. Don't recommend it, organization is obviouzly lacking.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2011

Amazing place to stay. Faith and Mike are amazing, as are the rest of the staff. They'll give you great recommendations of places to eat, visit, shop, etc. AND there's a bar downstairs w/ equally friendly staff (hard to find at bars!!) who'll gladly tell you when it's happy hour and the drafts are only 14 Rand. In the heart of Obz, close to shopping centers, close to minibuses that will take you downtown!! Can't wait til I return to SA and get to stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the left are right above the bar, so...ask if you can get one towards the back. But don't worry about getting enough sleep--there's always excitement going on, and you won't want to miss it!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo