“Perfect getaway”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

340piersb
Horfield, United Kingdom
“Perfect getaway”
Reviewed 13 August 2020 for a stay in July 2020

We’ve recently returned from a wonderful week in Clamoak Cottage.
Situated in a beautiful part of Devon, it’s impossible not to relax and unwind here.
The house was extremely comfortable and had everything we needed. Set in a very pretty garden, right on the river it was perfect for getting away from normal busy life.
The river is full of birds from kingfishers and Curlews to Little Egrets and Cormorants which come in at low tide, all of which we spent countless hours watching.
A short drive (or long walk) takes you to Bere Ferrers (which is beautiful and lovely pub with great food) or Bere Alston for provisions.
We were very lucky with the weather and spent most of our day just sitting by the river, reading, drawing and soaking up the silence.
If you feel the need to leave the house then Calstock is worth a visit (we got the train from Bere Ferrers) and there’s a very pretty walk through the woods to Cotehele from there.
A little further is Burrator Reservoir which has some stunning walks and plenty of ice cream vans!
Tavistock is about 8 miles away, a pretty market town with all the usual supermarkets etc on the outskirts.
If you want absolute peace and quiet in a beautiful, quiet part of Devon, then I cannot recommend Clamoak highly enough.

Date of stay: July 2020
mkmarty
Telford, United Kingdom
“Quiet Cottage on the banks of the River Tamar”
Reviewed 28 July 2019 for a stay in July 2019
people found this review helpful

Very quiet cottage with gated access.
The cottage is adjoined via the kitchen to the next door property, but I didn't find any disturbance issue and wasn't awoken in the morning even with the windows open.

Parking and access - Two cars can be parked, but bear in mind the property is on a Devon single lane country corner and after a few turning attempts I found it easiest to reverse off the road rather than the eight point turn in my Mini with the car sensors being money well spent ;)

Equipped - the cottage is well catered for with a washing machine (which I didn't use) and also a dishwasher which, sadly is missed at many cottages I visit. The cottage also has an Apps enabled TV for You Tube, Netflix as well as Sonos in the lounge as well as a gas barbecue. I found no issues with the internet.
If I was to be picky, it would have been a plus to have an additional Sonos in the conservatory and a TV in the main bedroom. Although there is a DAB radio in the kitchen.

Comfort - the bed was big and very comfortable and easily to a high standard, having stayed at The Shard earlier in the year my standards are quite high. Bathrooms were fully equipped.

Pets - I traveled with my Collie dog. It was a credit to the owners that thought had been made towards him, being his vacation also. I tend to find too many owners take advantage of this, charge extra for no benefit to the vacationer or pet.

The River - The Friday night appeared to be the most active on the Estuary, so make the most of the views on that evening.

Date of stay: July 2019
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.