Slaley Hall
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
Priceline
3,326 results
All reviewsgolf coursedukes grillon arrivalspa treatmentshadrians restaurantgolf breakplay golfafternoon teaevening mealbottle of wineour waitersteam roombuffet stylerelaxing breakquad bikingmain restaurantboth nights
Reviewed 1 April 2018

We stayed for one night last weekend, the place is beautiful and the staff are fantastic.
We enjoyed it so much we’ve booked to go back next month.
Keep up the good work Guys, we enjoyed every minute of our stay, thank you x

Stayed: March 2018
Andrew F, General Manager at Slaley Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2018

Dear Guest
Thank you for leaving your 5 star feedback, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and the staff gave a good service. I am delighted to read you have re booked and look forward to welcoming you back .

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Booked a night here after mot visiting for a while. What can i day.. not a patch on my previous visit. Staff friendly and attentive. General cleaning not up to scratch. Rips in curtains (not exactly 4☆). Valet parking which was great fue to the weather. Worst irish coffee i have ever had. And a restaurant that was suppose to be al a carte... more like chaos from start to finish. Items missing and the place littered with empty glasses. Scratched cutlery and marked tables. Seriously need to buck up your ideas and sort all this stuff out! If i hear of improvements i may come back. But for the price and the experience, its a no go from me!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Cumbrianlad86

Dear Guest
Thank you for leaving your feedback. I am disappointed to read your experience was not as expected, please be assured your feedback is very important to us and will be shared with the management team for full review and changes made where necessary.
I hope my assurances will allow us to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Booked for a birthday celebration for afternoon tea, we enjoyed the experience very much, we had sandwiches scones and cakes with plentiful tea, you could a little extra to have champagne, prosecco or a cocktail or mochtail which we did, all very nice. Would recommend.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends

Dear Catherine
Thank you for leaving your 5 star feedback, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit and enjoyed your afternoon tea.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

I have played golf at Slayley on numerous occasions and so thought I would push the boat out and pay for a junior suite in the hope that my wife would also love the place.

We only stayed for one night but please allow me to detail each thing we did:-

Reception - very friendly and attentive so no issues here but unfortunately that’s where the positives end.

Went to the room - three dead flies on the window sill and two live ones on separate windows, which I disposed of. This was surprising as I hadn’t seen a fly in about four months previously.

Went to the Claret Jug for lunch - dirty dishes piled up by the previous incumbents of our table. I asked for these to be removed, which they were after an hour and whilst we were leaving. The service was terrible with only one person at the bar and their attitude left a lot to be desired.

Went back to the room - two more flies had materialized which I again disposed of.

Went to the 19th for dinner - the restaurant was so cold that the two tables next to us went and fetched their full winter coats to sit in. I thought this was embarrassing to say the least but then I could see my breath so I’m not surprised.

Went for breakfast on our day of departure - before I sat down I asked for two poached eggs. After waiting a while and asking about them I decided to just have the standard buffet offering. Half an hour later as we stood up to leave my eggs arrived.

Reception - I asked to give feedback to someone and the receptionist kindly offered to do this. One comment she did make was that the breakfast chef didn’t come in that day and so this could be a reason for the service that morning. I’m sorry but I didn’t get a discount for the poor service or any of the other failings so I’m not really sure how this is a plausible reason.

Subsequently I filled in a feedback email I received and stated my dissatisfaction. I then got an email back to say if we book again within six months they will give us a bottle of fizz.......REALLY?? I’d honestly rather give an accurate review on Tripadvisor warning other people to steer clear rather than pay a fortune to be let down by Slayley Hall again.

If Slayley really want to win customers from the numerous other weekend break hotels in the region they are really going to have to spend some money and up their game.

Ultimately if you’re looking for a break in a quality hotel then I simply cannot recommend Slayley when you have other far superior hotels for similar money.

Note to Slayley - offering a bottle of fizz simply isn’t good enough.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
2  Thank JohnSC4557
Andrew F, General Manager at Slaley Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Dear John
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay at Slaley Hall. I am disappointed to read about certain aspects of your stay were not as you hoped for. I can only apologise on behalf of our housekeeping and food and beverage team for failing to meet expectations. We have just appointed a new restaurant manager who I am sure will be keen to address your feedback and make changes where necessary to improve service. It is regrettable that the absence of one of our chefs during breakfast had an effect on service and appreciate that this should not impact our service delivery.
Please be assured your detailed feedback will be shared so that reviews can take place and changes made where necessary to try and prevent other such occurrences. I believe you were offered a complementary room upgrade with a bottle of fizz on a return visit, the offer is still available for a period of 6 months should you wish to return.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

First impressions are very good, welcoming staff and beautiful location.

The rooms are very well decorated and comfortable, however certain small elements of them could be cleaner.

The spa and gym facility is really good, personally the highlight of the stay. Well equipped and modern gym, including long opening hours.

The restaurant was the most disappointing element of the trip unfortunately. The staff seemed rushed and the food wasn’t as nice as it should have been for the price.

Overall a nice trip, however some minor improvements needed to make it 5 star.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Jim
Thank you for leaving your 4 star feedback, I am pleased your first impressions were good, but disappointed to read other aspects were not as good. Your feedback will be shared so that reviews can be taken and changes made where necessary. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.