“One of the best meals ever”
Review of The Ginger Room - CLOSED

The Ginger Room
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 23 December 2012

Beautiful meal, the food was delicious and was presented beautifully. Very good and friendly service. Lovely atmosphere in Old Parliament House, with views up the hill to Parliament House. The fixed price menu offers a choice of 2, 3, 4 or 5 courses, as well as a degustation. Can't wait to go back again.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

16 of us went here for a big birthday dinner. we were put in a private dining room which was great. food was really good, set price menu and could choose either 2, 3 or 4 courses. so knew exactly what you were paying for. would definitely return.

Reviewed 17 December 2012

I've been forced out of politeness to eat here three times in the past year. This is a place that nothing but new owners or management or both can fix. The reason seems to be that there is one attitude that comes across from the staff: We Don't Care.
Don't bother--unless you are being polite and have to go. I suggest eating before dining there.

1  Thank effem h
Reviewed 11 December 2012

The Ginger Room is located in Old Parliament House in Canberra, in what used to be the Senate Dining Room. The space is beautiful - quiet, classy, relaxing. There is a fixed price menu of either two or three courses of absolutely wonderful, imaginative food.
If it sounds like it might be a bit snooty or pretentious, that would be the wrong impression. The service has always been friendly, helpful and "natural" - no rude waiters putting on airs.
It is expensive - by our standards, at least - and the servings are not huge. But for an overall "special" dining experience, the Ginger Room is hard to top.

Reviewed 10 December 2012

We booked this restaurant as a special meal for my sister's birthday as she was about to have her second baby and not have the luxury of dinners out for quite some time. As a family, we've had several special meals at the Ginger Room in the past and so thought it would be a good option again.

Sadly, assuming we'd have a special night with quality food, commensurate with their price point, was quite the mistake.

We arrived on time at 7pm which was precisely the time of our reservation (I had amended it from 6.30pm that very afternoon and added two people who arrived as a surprise from the US - I was told this was fine). The waiter arrived to take our order quite quickly so we asked for another minute. 15 minutes later he finally reappeared. While we started to wonder where he'd gone, we weren't overly concerned at this point.

The first course arrived - an excellent cheese souffle - at about 8.15. At 8.30 the waiter came to clear our plates and I very politely asked that as we had a ten year old boy with us and a baby with a sitter at home, could he ask the chef to make sure it wasn't an hour and a half between our remaining three courses. Instead of saying 'of course', he argued about the time and made no offer to speak to the chef. We were very taken aback as he stalked off in the sort of huff I'd expect from a petulant teenager.

The French maitre'd then appeared (I presumed to apologise) and proceeded to ask if there was a problem and then argue with us. It was 'our' fault for arriving '45 minutes' late. I pointed out we had arrived precisely on time at 7pm. "oh no" he huffed "your reservation was at 6.30". I then reminded him I had phoned at 3pm that day to request a table for nine people and not seven and to change our time from 6.30 to 7pm. "did you speak to a girl??" he demanded. When I said I had he came out with "well, she didn't pass the message on but did tell us you wanted nine people".

He then went back to blaming us for arriving at 7 vs 6.30 and said that they time all their reservations and that they can't possibly feed forty people all at once (I didn't do a head count but the place was no where near full). One assumes a restaurant that only opens for dinner is accustomed to feeding multiple people at what can only be described as 'dinner time'.

He continued to argue with both my sister and I, insisting it was our fault and did not once apologise. All of this I might add in front of my young son. He also refused to ask the kitchen to hurry up. My sister even pointed out that she was very pregnant and incredibly tired and would like to be home sooner rather than later - this made no difference to Napoleon of the Ginger Room.

The next course arrived which were the most lamentable scallops I've ever had. Presentation was lovely but where was the taste? Perhaps that got left in the kitchen with the staff's manners.

The remaing courses were brought out more quickly than the first three but were of average quality. We were all disappointed with the food and terribly disappointed that what was meant to be a special night out was ruined by such bad service.

I will never go back to the Ginger Room and will happily tell all my friends and colleagues to give it a big miss. We eat out a lot too so you're not missing out on one small family from the 'burbs Ginger Room!

5  Thank bellatriix