“Rain drops keep falling on my head”
Review of Paradise Palms

Paradise Palms
Ranked #30 of 40 Hotels in Coffs Harbour
Reviewed 4 March 2017

Am writing this review in the early hours from cabin 27 after being awoken by cold wet drops landing on my face, bed and the floor next to my bed. Soon after this, the air con unit made some sizzling, popping noises - ? water in the electronics, so I switched it off. Not game to have the ceiling fan on for a similar reason. So yes, the roof seems to be leaking. Checking out trip advisor, other guests report maintenance issues. Will advise the office as I check out in the morning, but in the meantime, suggest this cabin, at least, is one to avoid.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
fomparpalms, Front Office Manager at Paradise Palms, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2017

Hi Ellen, we were quite concerned to hear of the water issue in your room, and had it investigated immediately after hearing of your problems on check out. We do encourage people to use the 24 hour number so that we are able to sort problems out straight away and move people to a new room if need be. Fortunately in this case after much heavier rain after you had checked out it seems the drips may have been coming from the air con which is right above the bed as sometimes happens when they are set at too low a temperature for too long. We apologise that you were inconvenienced and hope we can welcome you back for a more enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 3 March 2017

2 bedroom apartment small. But usable. Lots of Hwy noise. The oven was dirty.
No parking. I own a 70k car we parked under cover and were told to move it. We then parked on the grass and were told to move it. Very poor parking structure. I spoke to the Manager regarding my concerns - his response was you've stayed here before, basicly no solution was offered. Yes I have stayed here before in a unit right on the Hwy.
couldent sleep at all (trucks all night) the TVs remote wouldn't work and the heating was a red bar heater that glowed bright so the room wasent dark at night. Never again.

Room Tip: Recommend stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
fomparpalms, Front Office Manager at Paradise Palms, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2017

Hi Grant,
Thank you for your review. We do have parking at every room and do not advertise any undercover parking as there are only a few rooms that do offer this, so apologies if you were confused over this. We saw that you were parked in the spot reserved for the room next door for the first 3 days of your stay, but this was not an issue as the room was not booked so we hope you understand that we did need to ask you to move so the person that had booked that room could utilise their car space and suggested that you park on the grass right outside your room, or the concrete just 1 car space over from your room.
As you said you have stayed several times before and we were not made aware of any issues those times with the outdoor parking or the rooms so we are sorry now to hear that you are not happy. We do hope we cam welcome you back at some stage.

Reviewed 24 February 2017 via mobile

We had a family week away and met family for the holiday this time as its in the middle and as per normal it didnt disappoint. Staff are absolutely amazing and go above and beyond every time we visit. We feel like part of their family nothing is to much to ask. We absolutely love this place and the gorgeous staff. Will visit again and again. Never anywhere before have we been so well looked after.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write a review Julie! So many times it's the happy people we don't hear from in reviews as they are happy and just get on with their lives, so we loved reading your review and have shared it with the staff. We are always happy to have you and your family visit and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 16 January 2017 via mobile

Very disappointed. We stayed in cabin 39 and were only there for 2 nights. It was so bad I actually asked for my money back for the second night so I could go and find alternate accommodation, but they to wanted to charge me a cancellation fee.
The rooms - were very dusty and dirty. Behind the toilet bowl was disgusting. The window sills lined with dust. The floor was lined with dust behind the table in the kids room. Upon checking under the lounge to ensure we didn't drop anything we found dust, dirt, bottle tops and who knows what else
The power point - next to my bed was pushed in with the lamp switched on in it. The plaster and wires were left exposed. When I told them they said they knew about it and came into our room without us knowing while we were out to put tape around it and moved the bed over to hide the power point. I was forced to charge my phone in the kitchen. I was reading past reviews and there was a comment about the same thing in the same room. Has this been broken for 2 years without repair?
The spa - there is none. It was broken
The indoor pool - was filled with algae
The games room - out of the mouth of our 8 year old "looks like we've stepped back in history. Of the 8 old machines only 3 were working
The TV - had lines going through it when on Foxtel and no USB port. We brought our PlayStation up so we could watch movies and play games but the TV was so old it didn't allow us to do this
The Foxtel - every channel we tried to watch said not part of your subscription
The lounge - had a big hole ripped in it
The flyscreens - were broken, did not close and kept falling off the rails
Family of 5 - only 4 of you can sit for dinner and only 4 at a time can sit on the outdoor setting
The cutlery - not one piece of cutlery matched. Doesn't cost much to have a set of matching knives, forks and spoons
The stove - took 15 minutes to boil water for an egg. There are no markings on the stove, so you don't know whether you are cooking on low or high
The floors - creaked so loud, I'm sure our neighbours would have heard us walking from the bedroom to the bathroom. We even played a game to see if anyone could cross without making the floor creak. No-one succeeded
The paint - the place is in desperate need of a fresh coat of paint. You should see the bathroom, patches everywhere
The toilet paper - they only give you 1 roll and 1 tiny soap, once they have gone it's byo
No front flyscreens. - So couldn't leave the door open to let the breeze come through.
The grounds are beautiful, which is the only thing I liked about this 'so-called' resort. I definitely won't be back and strongly suggest you stay away too. They make it out to sound like an oasis with all their fabulous advertising but it was nothing like I expected. I just wish I had read all these reviews before I stayed here. They said the cabins are individually owned well if you have to stay here just make sure it's not in cabin 39 otherwise you will be as disappointed as I was. ☹️☹️☹️

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Ilona B
fomparpalms, Front Office Manager at Paradise Palms, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2017

We are sorry to hear how disappointed you were with your stay. As it was your mother who called to let us know of your issues it seems there was some breakdown in communication. We did offer a refund with paying a 1 night fee for the night you were staying which was just $20 more. We are in the process of having those power points moved as they do get pushed in often. We did tell your mother that we would go straight up there to tape it as you were worried about your kids. We are sorry the spa had an unexpected break down on your first night here but we hope you were happy to find it was fixed first thing the next morning as was the games room after an after hours visit from the people who tend to the games room. Any problems with tv's or foxtel we encourage people to call the office so someone can come and have a look straight away.
As mentioned on all booking websites and is common practice for most places now,we do provide a starter pack only of room supplies to keep room costs down for guests.
A lot of our rooms are currently having fresh coats of paint throughout and improvements. We hope we can welcome you back at some stage.

Reviewed 14 January 2017 via mobile

I will keep this short & sweet. This place needs an upgrade. It appeared to be a place that was once loved, however that was some time ago. Old is one thing, dirty is another. Sadly, this place, along with another one on our trip, didn't pass. Holes in walls. TV not working. Dirty. Won't be back

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple