“Nice City, shame about the Hotel”

Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay
Ranked #30 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 19 November 2017

As a gold elite member of Marriott's rewards scheme, we were contacted a few days prior to our arrival to ask if there was anything the hotel could do to make our stay better. I responded that we were arriving around noon and whilst we understood that checkin was at 3pm, the one thing they could do was try and make the room available earlier.

On arrival at noon, there was no room available (which is fine) and the receptionist said that she would call me once it was ready and in the meantime to avail myself of the 'executive lounge'.

Time passed and finally at 3pm, after no call was received, I returned to the front desk to be handed my room key and upon my enquiry was told the room had been ready for over an hour.

Oh well, these things do happen I thought. Sloppy, but not uncommon in busy, mid-level hotels.

I get to my room and am appalled to find that my "city view" room has an enticing view of a painted brick wall! (see photo attached) I called services and they told me that the hotel is full and nothing could be done. To bad, so sad, was how I would best describe the attitude.

As I sit here in my "brick wall view" room, I look at the furniture in the room. There are two chairs around the circular glass desk/work table - neither of the chairs match. One has completely cracked and disintegrating faux leather, the other (cloth chair) has a very nasty looking stain on it.

Here is the upshot of this hotel. It's pretty tatty and run down in the rooms. They've spent a lot of money of the front entrance but forgotten to do things like replace chairs in the rooms that probably saw better days a few decades ago.

It's well located, but then so are a dozen other hotels in this part of Sydney CBD that represent far better value for money. If we had spent $200 per night on the room, it would have been fine, but for the same (nearly $600 per night) we spent we could have stayed in a proper upmarket hotel with a beautiful room with a view over what I think is the prettiest harbour in the world, as opposed to the Marriott's (ahem) "city view"

Room Tip: Rooms at the hotels within two blocks around it are superior in almost every way on a value for mone...
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Jennifer B, General Manager at Sydney Harbour Marriott Hotel at Circular Quay, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2017

Dear Richard M,

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your review and giving us the opportunity to offer immediate assistance whilst you are still staying with us.

I am pleased to hear that our Front Office Manager was able to connect with you today to organize a room move and extend complimentary upgrade.

It is of course regret to hear your disappointment and I can assure you that this is an isolated incident and certainly not an indication of the customary service that we deliver.

If there is anything else we can do to make remainder of your stay more comfortable, please do not hesitate to contact the team at any time.

Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

I couldn't really fault this hotel. Comfy beds, friendly staff and great location for skepticon. I'll be back. My hints are to bring ear plugs as the aircon in the bathroom (I think that's what is was) is too noisy but I put my ear plugs in and had a great sleep. I'll be back if I ever have another event in the area. Oh and join the rewards club for free wi fi.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled solo

Dear sfergo,

Thank you for your kind review and for choosing to stay with Sydney Harbour Marriott during your recent visit to Sydney.

Your comments regarding the service, hospitality and location are regarded as valuable inputs for the continuous development of our hotel. And we will surely pass on your kind words to our associates.

We hope to serve you again whenever your travels bring you back to Sydney.

Reviewed 17 November 2017

We only had one day in Sydney and I am so glad I booked the Marriott. It is centrally located, clean and quiet rooms, friendly staff. We could go out and back to the opera house and harbor tours, and then off to the Great Barrier reef the next day. Everything was taken care of.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Archer777,

Thank you for dedicating the time and effort to write us your prompt feedback.

We are truly pleased that you had the best night's sleep during your recent stay with us and I am delighted to learn that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay.

Thank you again for sharing your wonderful experience and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 17 November 2017

we had a great three-night stay at sydney harbour marriott at circular quay! our long flight arrived in sydney at 8 am. hotel rooms, of course are not ready at that early hour. but the hotel has a relaxing room where weary travelers can wait, enjoy complimentary coffee, juice, fresh fruit, and private showers with towels, hairdyers, ironing boards... three days later, when our group of ten people was waiting to board our cruise ship, the hotel made the backroom of one of their bar/lounges available to us to watch the world series. yes, yes, i would say that this marriott understands hospitality!

the location of the hotel is ideal...the cruise ship terminal, opera house, sydney harbour bridge, ferry terminal and train station are all a short easy walk away.

the one improvement that i would have liked is that rooms be bundled with breakfast. the hotel restaurant does serve up what-looked-to-be a fantastic breakfast buffet, but we felt the cost was too high, so we had our breakfasts off premises at nearby cafes.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends

Dear fbokma,

Thank you for rating us a 5 star hotel! as well as for sharing your experience via TripAdvisor as your comments are essential tools for many other travelers that are travelling to Sydney.

I am delighted to hear that our room and service met your expectations and are glad that you were able to take advantage of our convenient location close to the heart of the city.

We very much look forward to welcoming you again whenever your travels bring you back to Sydney.

Reviewed 17 November 2017

This is a great place to stay. Beautiful lobby, great location very close to Circular Quay and the majestic Opera House and Sydney Harbor Bridge. Breakfast is too good here. Rooms are very comfortable. Very friendly staff. In whole I loved my stay!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear 427lalitaj,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Sydney Harbour Marriott.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed the facilities and our sincerest appreciation for your kind feedback during your stay. I have also conveyed your kind compliments to our associates and they are thrilled to learn that their efforts are appreciated.

Thank you once again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.