“Great time at Jolly Swagman..”

Jolly Swagman Backpackers
Ranked #33 of 139 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
New York City, New York
“Great time at Jolly Swagman..”
Reviewed 26 November 2011

I just stayed at Jolly Swagman Backpackers Nov 19 - 25. I stayed in the private double room which is a great room especially if you want your privacy. The room was clean, it did have a strong airfreshner candle that they left in the room. There was a fan in the room which I kept on high the entire time since it got hot in the room. It was a quite floor except for the weekends when the drunks arrive late at night. The staff were friendly. There are tons of shops and restaurants in the area. It's a very quiet street which is a plus. Kings Cross station is about a 5min walk. There is a Woolworth supermarket down the road and some small delis that are open 24 hours.

The airport transfer never showed up on my departure date which was annoying. I waited outside for about 45min and I checked in with the front desk and they kept telling me he was going to come. After another 15 min I just got my money back and took a cab to the airport. I def recommend this place to whoever is traveling on a budget.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side, since the north side is located right on the street where the young kids ha...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 23 October 2011

We stayed in the Swagman for 4 nights, for our spring break. It was nice that there were rooms for three people and the staff was very friendly and helpful! But the room wasn't cleaned when we arrived, was not that nice.. Breakfast is ok, could maybe be a bit more varied. It's a good place to go out and the trip we could book to the Blue Mountains was amazing!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 October 2011

My stay at this place was for 12 days. I enjoyed my stay here as they had a lot of facilities such as iron boards on every floor, own fridge in every room, tv, fan and a cupboard which has hangers to put your luggage and suites.

The people at this place were very friendly, and the overall feel of the place was safe.
However I did not like the noise going from 9pm to 4am in the morning in some floors of the place. It was very very frustrating as teenagers were drunk and kept making loud noises at early hours in the day.

I would stay here again but I hope jolly swagman gets more strict on the noise problems at night especially on the weekends.

Other than that, the toilets were cleaned daily and breakfast was served for free.

Thank you!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Rooms are basic with few electrical outlets and my room had a tiny window, overlooking an alleyway which let in next to no daylight. Also beware of top bunks, mine had no safety bar so could have rolled over in the night and fallen off!
The "continental breakfast" is just toast and cereal, nothing exciting.

The "free Internet" is a 1 hour wifi pass when you check in, the rest is from $3 an hour.

The saving grace of the hostel is its proximity to central Sydney. You can get to Circular Quay (Opera House and Harbour Bridge) in about 15 minutes walking through the beautiful Botanical Gardens. Bondi Beach is only a short train ride away from Kings Cross which is a 5 minute walk away.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Maffoo89
Canada
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I can't say anything bad about this hostel, because the staff is amazingly nice. My cell phone wasn't working for some reason and I had no alarm clock. As I was freaking about missing my flight, the night clerk was nice enough to give me a wake-up knock on the door so I wouldn't miss my flight.

The kitchen is cleaned daily and there's a TV lounge. Also, they have organized events like a cheap pizza and beer night. Free breakfast is self-serve so you get your choice of cereal, bread, oatmeal.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo