“Charming boutique hotel in the heart of "Darlo" (Darlinghurst)”
Review of Medusa

Medusa
Ranked #95 of 182 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed here for a couple of nights recently and loved it. The pink property is easy to spot and has loads of charm and character. The management is welcoming and helpful - Luke was a honey and had many great suggestions for things to do and places to eat - and my room was quiet and well appointed.

It is far enough away from the craziness of King's Cross, yet a 15 minute walk takes you to Potts Pint, or down to Hyde Park. A little further - but still walkable, is Paddington. Literally around the corner are pubs, bars, cafes and restaurants to suit every taste. A short stroll takes you to the Sydney Institution Bill's, with its well known all day breakfast. And diagonally opposite is Onde, a French-inspired bistro that has been pacing them in since 1996.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 October 2011

I stayed for two nights a few weekends ago. The management are just great and create a welcoming, relaxed, atmosphere where you feel a 'part of the place' in an unobtrusive way. Don't be afraid if you are used to staying in large CBD type properties. Yes, it is a small property but offers pretty much everything you need - but with wonderful, friendly service. The management are fine ambassadors’ for the local area and I don't think there would be any question they could not answer. The room guide - The Silver Book - is full of valuable local information – I have not seen a better room guide that outlines local restaurants / shops etc in any other hotel (and have stayed in rooms all over the world). What these boys don't know about the local area is just not worth worrying about - follow their advice and you will not go wrong. A multitude of fab shops and cafe / restaurants’ are in the local area and a quick 15 min walk to the centre of CBD (if you really feel the need). I stayed in a Grand Room and it was just perfect - beautiful high ceilings and huge opening windows.
Stay just once - I trust you will want to return as soon as possible – I am!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I have to say I was slightly apprehensive about staying in Darlinghurst given it's close proximity to Kings Cross, however, my fears were unfounded and we ended up having one of the best weekends ever! Starting with the Medusa, this hotel couldn't be in a better spot, opposite a pub and the gorgeous little wine bar/restaurant/cafe Ecabar. The hotel is absolutely charming as are Luke and Jess. We had the good fortune to be upgraded to a "Grand Room" and grand it was! It was well decorated and spotlessly clean. There was no bath, however, that was barely noticeable given the fabulous balcony opening up onto the street complete with table and chairs and even a spa! Once the balcony door closed, the noise from the street disappeared and we were treated to a great night's sleep in the very comfortable king size bed. Luke was very helpful in providing maps and directions to places of interest and was obviously very proud of the area and his hotel. My husband and I celebrated our 20th anniversary here and we are very glad we did. We would highly recommend the Medusa and Darlinghust as a place to stay in Sydney!

• Stayed: October 2011
4  Thank Motbey
Reviewed 25 July 2011

For a business trip I normally stay at Marriott or Hilton, but this time around as I want to check out the Potts/King Cross area I stayed at Medusa for a week. Boy, that was a good decision.
For one the trip felt like I go "home" every night. The place is quaint and small but big on warmth and friendliness. Luke, one of the hotel staff, was a great source of tips on what to check out and was very friendly and attentive. I need to be back there just for the nice experience.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 July 2011

This review has been a long time coming, but the experience that we enjoyed at Medusa was super. We arrived quite early on New Year's Eve, and our room was ready, which is great after a 16 hour flight! The room was very comfortable, good storage space, and I especially liked the built in kitchenette, which made breakfast easy. The bathroom was a bit small, but the Aveda amenities were a nice. The guys who run the place are very friendly, will tell it like it is, and didn't steer us wrong with recommendations, etc. Location is good, and far from tourists, but only 15-20 minute train ride to the harbour, etc. Also, you can actually walk (or jog) to Bondi Beach.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple