“Newly opened - extremely good”
Review of Galileo Restaurant - CLOSED

Galileo Restaurant
Cuisines: French, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 15 November 2016

[NOTE to Tripadvisor: Galileo Restaurant is no more. The area the restaurant and bar area used to occupy has been gutted and completely renovated. Both the physical space and the menu are now completely different. It is time to delete Galileo and start up a new listing for Bistro Remy]

Bistro Remy is the new signature restaurant in the Langham Hotel. The hotel had been known as The Observatory and was part of the Orient Express group. Galileo was its restaurant. Galileo was designed with an old world theme and featured quite an exotic menu.

The new Bistro Remy is light and airy. It is also quite a bit larger as the new owner has opened up what had been three distinct rooms into one open plan area. I felt it was much more comfortable.

One of the staff put it quite well when he said the aim was to make both the restaurant and the menu “accessible.” Where Galileo had a menu with dishes that were obscure to most, Bistro Remy offers very high quality but mostly familiar choices.

I would almost never put in a review for a hotel restaurant, but just mention the restaurant in my comments on the hotel itself. In this case I really do think Bistro Remy has earned its own place, so on this occasion I’m making an exception.

1  Thank Michael O

Reviewed 20 October 2016

Dined here as part of gift package & evening ruined when my partner had to return his steak THREE times & it still was not cooked to his specification of Medium Well. I had finished my main 30 min earlier. Made the experience very tiresome & definitely not enjoyable. Even the waiter was embarrassed. No discount or complimentary courses etc given as we were on a package. Won't be back.

Reviewed 27 July 2015

My husband and I have been going to The Observatory Hotel for some years before it became the Langham. We went there yesterday to take a friend to High Tea (her first time) and see the Langham and bask in its new décor, hoping that the hotel's facelift was cosmetic only and had retained the old charm of its predecessor. Indeed, it is shiny and its colour theme of pastel pinks and gold is lovely in a blingy chic way. Unfortunately, the ambience of the old OH tucked far from the madding crowd of CBD Sydney and a place to sink into comfortable chairs and chillax in peace and quiet has been lost in translation with the new layout. Gone is the old bar and Galileo restaurant having been replaced with wooden floors and background musak that amplified the noise of other diners, staff and patrons walking to and fro with none of the three of us able to understand the hushed tones of the staff explaining the menu and the items on our High Tea. The new layout of the dining area seemed not to be conducive to staff negotiating the room and gave the impression of too many staff scurrying around and bumping into each other which made it anything but relaxing and we ended up spending most of our time watching staff move about than enjoying each other's company - mainly because we couldn't hear each other talk. With the addition of a servery near the kitchen, the place now resembles a chic upmarket cafeteria. Of the 3 menus, 2 of them were missing crucial pages on the High Tea - prices, etc. But rather than take our word for it, it required another staff member to come over and double-check. Seriously - our word not good enough? The staff looked harried and have lost the graceful serenity they had moving around the dining room of the old Observatory - is it the layout, staff training, management, or all of the above? The staff of the old Observatory seemed to always have time, appeared and disappeared into the background, and catered to your requests. Not anymore. When ordering the High Tea for 3 we asked if there could be more savoury and less sweet treats and when our tiered tray arrived looked no different to all the other trays that came out. The sandwiches were dry on one side indicating that it had been sitting out for a bit. Our scones, instead of being light and fluffy resembled squat rock hard mini dampers with one not being cooked properly when cracked open. And with the recent food scare at the Langham in Melbourne with their High Tea, we were not impressed with the very cold and rather tasteless seafood wraps. In the end we left most of the scones, dodged the seafood wraps, and because we had asked for fewer sweet treats left most of those too. We took our friend down to the basement to show her the pool, which has to be the best pool of any hotel in Sydney, and was always the highlight of my visit to the hotel, and were relieved to see that it had remained in tact. However, within a couple of minutes we had to leave because of the overpowering smell of chlorine. Note to management - probably should switch to a salt water pool - less smell and easier on the cossie. Lastly, and one of which we are most happy about - the Ladies and Gents - which have not changed. Hallelujah. And even though it could do with a lick of paint to match the newness of everything else, the one thing that makes me sigh with happiness is a private cubicle with floor to ceiling doors and walls. Thank the Lord and pass the toilet tissue that the Langham has not gone all uber chic in this area.
Sadly, as pretty as it now is, it was always about the ambience - a quiet oasis with fabulous staff to match that kept us going back. But no more. Thanks for the memories OH errrr LH.

1  Thank reggzm
Reviewed 15 March 2015

The Galileo closed and is now Rhe Kent Street Kitchen in The Langham Hotel. It is a French fine dining restaurant. The appearance of the restaurant is very nice. The menu is extremely interesting. The presentation was excellent. The wine list was very nice. The service was generally good, however, they seemed to forget about us after we were served our main. My wife Foie Gras for an entree and she said it was spectacular. I had smoked trout and while it was very good, I absolutely loved the presentation as they captured the smoke under glass and released it at the table. My wife had a second entree as her main of scallops and they were also very good. I chose the venison loin and it was outstanding with a perfectly cooked loin accompanied by a mixture of eggplant, blackberries and beetroot. It really came together nicely and looked even better. We passed on desert and had to wait quite a while to get coffee. They are just working out the bugs of a new restaurant and we believe that they will be excellent with just a little more time.

1  Thank Mikeshy
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Love it but it's boarded up while its made a Langham hotel back in December 14 I hope see u all then bigger and better