“Fine dining or the fine (end) of the dining?”

Altitude Restaurant
Ranked #321 of 6,629 Restaurants in Sydney
Price range: US$37 - US$140
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: The Rocks
Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

My brother in law booked a table for me and my partner at altitude as gift for my partner birthday.
He was looking for one of the best and fancier restaurant in the city and this one looked like ticking all the boxes.
Great view, inside of a famous hotel, nice venue everything looks perfect till the “fine dining” experience starts....

Unfortunately we were 15mins late as we couldn’t find the entrance.
When we arrived the host at the door told us our table wasn’t ready as we were late.
After a bit of wait anyway she gave us a really nice table.
We’ve been sitting there and 10 mins later still no one asking for water or if we needed help with their really wide wining list.
Looking around 3/4 tables in the restaurant and roughly 5 floor staff on.
We finally been approach of what I guess he was suppose to be our waiter asking straight if we had pick our wine.
I said I would like to have some water first and needed some help for the wine.
He sent the sommelier. I explained him how I like the wine and due their large varieties of provenance if there was any different from usual to suggest.
We ended up with the usual Aussie Chardonnay.
They took our order.
The portions are tiny.
They forgot one of our entrees and the side with the mains as they both arrived after we asked for it when they had cleared our plates already.
Not any apology
No one checked on us or asked us how was the meal.
We had a three course meal and we were still hungry.
Their signature dessert is a scoop of ice cream with white chocolate and pop corn.
Really disappointing from a venue you are expecting the most impeccable customer service and experience.

1  Thank stellinaV88

Reviewed 28 November 2017 via mobile

We had made our reservation at the altitude several month in advance, as we were coming from Europe and wanted to join our daughter on her graduation at the university of Sydney. We had booked into the Shangri-La Hotel in Sydney, as we had positive experiences from the hotel in Singapore. It was obvious to us to make a reservation as well at the Altitude Restaurant in the hotel for the day after the graduation in order to celebrate the event.
I had no cost limit in mind, we just wanted to have a good time and enjoy the evening.
The menu has a limited selection, which I consider positive. The wine manual in comparison is big and in my opinion has many useless items.
The dishes were served in different plates to make the creations look more impressive, but the portions were less then small. In comparison my wife had ordered a side order of mashed potatoes, which would have been sufficient for three people. It all seemed to be less than balanced. We ordered some cheese after the starters and main courses and with that, the plates were overloaded with bread as if the kitchen wanted to send the message: „we know that you are still starving after our starters and main courses, so here is some bread so you have a Chance to fill your stomach.“
We ordered three espresso at the end. This made our day. Fancy china for the starters and main courses but no cups for the espresso. The espresso was served in ordinary cups from the breakfast buffet, so lots of china for such a small portion of concentrated coffee. Anybody knowing something about physics knows, that if you pour a small portion of hot coffee in a big mass of an ordinary cup, that the coffee will be cold immediately. To serve an ordinary espresso is no science, one just needs to have small espresso cups, which have been preheated and pours the hot espresso into the cup. For a restaurant which wants to give the impression of a first class dining experience, this is an absolute no go. In combination with the fact, that my wife’s main course was not correct, it led me to avoid any tipping, as it spoiled my evening.
The restaurant might have nice views, (which I had from my room as well) but I wanted to have a wonderful dining experience. My expectations were not met. There is room for lots of improvements.

Reviewed 28 November 2017

We went here last night for our anniversary and Mahesh was service with a smile! great guy and had a nice conversation with him. Food was nice however small portion size. settle in for 4/5 courses for a filling night.

Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

My mother , sisters and I went to Altitude Restaurant on Saturday to celebrate our sisters birthday.
Our reservation was for the 8.15pm sitting
We decided to get there earlier and have a drink beforehand.
The cocktails were great, made more enjoyable by the amazing view.
After our drink we made our way to the restaurant , where we were advised that our table wasn't ready , as the people occupying our table were still having dessert.
The hostess suggested we go and wait at the bar until our table was ready.
This was quite disappointing , as having dined at other restaurants with two sittings , we have literally been kicked out to ensure table ready for next sitting.
We waited until 9pm when we were advised that our table was finally ready, and still had to wait for our table.
It was not until 15 minutes later that they sat us.
We placed our orders and all the entrees came out except for mine . Agghh!!!!
And to top it off our sides came out after we had finished our mains.
Very disappointing night , especially for what you pay .

Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

Wonderful dining experience at Altitude - my wife and I dined at Altitude on Friday evening. The view is incredible and the food, services by the staff and Matt Herod’s wine matching and knowledge were exceptional. Definitely recommend experience fine dining and the magnificence of Sydney at Altitude