“Good but not great. ”

Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: The Rocks
Reviewed 5 December 2017 via mobile

Went for an anniversary and had a great seat. What a view. We had the degustation with matching wines.
Food was nice but knowledge by staff was lacking. Asked a few times for a description of the meal and was met with “ not sure I’ll find out “
Unexceptable at this priced restaurant. After an amazing meal a week prior at Hently farm in the Barossa I now realise not all degustations are created equal.

Reviewed 3 December 2017

We booked the early session at Altitude so that we could watch the Harbour by twilight. Of course, we chose 2 December when the Harbour was shrouded in mist (unseasonable summer rain) We still enjoyed the view watching the Opera House/ SH Bridge and Luna Park come into view and then be swallowed by the rain. I've spent some time describing what was outside the restaurant because the view is truly is part of the overall dining experience. It's a beautiful accompaniment to amazingly tasty food. We chose the four course meal and truly had a gastronomic delight. There are four choices for each course which also includes a vegetarian/ gluten free option at each course. First course was delicately sliced cured beef accompanied by a bed of spiced yoghurt. I wish I could recall the name! Second course was a butter poached marron in a chilli aioli. This was exquisite. For those that are brave - its accompanied by cooked marron brain in olive oil. I found it a bit salty but my husband scoffed both servings of the brain. Third course was a superb beef tenderloin in a red wine jus. This was delightful and nicer than hubbie's suckling pig (roast pork and pork belly). While very tasty - it was pipped at the post by the beef. You could order accompaniments of salad, and potato mash but we chose broccolini with walnuts and shaved manchego cheese. Just delicious. And to finish off the meal, I had a sweet corn mousse with blueberry sorbet. I don't like fussy or overly creamy desserts. This was a perfect matching of sweet corn and blueberry (not sure I would ever put these two ingredients into a sentence before this dinner).

All this was delivered with impeccable silver service and a very good wine list (by the glass or the bottle). We couldn't fault a $160 per head four course/ 2 glasses of wine with coffee dinner. Will be back again maybe for lunch but definitely when the sky is blue.

Reviewed 3 December 2017 via mobile

My brother in law booked a table for me and my partner at altitude as gift for my partner birthday.
He was looking for one of the best and fancier restaurant in the city and this one looked like ticking all the boxes.
Great view, inside of a famous hotel, nice venue everything looks perfect till the “fine dining” experience starts....

Unfortunately we were 15mins late as we couldn’t find the entrance.
When we arrived the host at the door told us our table wasn’t ready as we were late.
After a bit of wait anyway she gave us a really nice table.
We’ve been sitting there and 10 mins later still no one asking for water or if we needed help with their really wide wining list.
Looking around 3/4 tables in the restaurant and roughly 5 floor staff on.
We finally been approach of what I guess he was suppose to be our waiter asking straight if we had pick our wine.
I said I would like to have some water first and needed some help for the wine.
He sent the sommelier. I explained him how I like the wine and due their large varieties of provenance if there was any different from usual to suggest.
We ended up with the usual Aussie Chardonnay.
They took our order.
The portions are tiny.
They forgot one of our entrees and the side with the mains as they both arrived after we asked for it when they had cleared our plates already.
Not any apology
No one checked on us or asked us how was the meal.
We had a three course meal and we were still hungry.
Their signature dessert is a scoop of ice cream with white chocolate and pop corn.
Really disappointing from a venue you are expecting the most impeccable customer service and experience.

1  Thank stellinaV88
Reviewed 28 November 2017 via mobile

We had made our reservation at the altitude several month in advance, as we were coming from Europe and wanted to join our daughter on her graduation at the university of Sydney. We had booked into the Shangri-La Hotel in Sydney, as we had positive experiences from the hotel in Singapore. It was obvious to us to make a reservation as well at the Altitude Restaurant in the hotel for the day after the graduation in order to celebrate the event.
I had no cost limit in mind, we just wanted to have a good time and enjoy the evening.
The menu has a limited selection, which I consider positive. The wine manual in comparison is big and in my opinion has many useless items.
The dishes were served in different plates to make the creations look more impressive, but the portions were less then small. In comparison my wife had ordered a side order of mashed potatoes, which would have been sufficient for three people. It all seemed to be less than balanced. We ordered some cheese after the starters and main courses and with that, the plates were overloaded with bread as if the kitchen wanted to send the message: „we know that you are still starving after our starters and main courses, so here is some bread so you have a Chance to fill your stomach.“
We ordered three espresso at the end. This made our day. Fancy china for the starters and main courses but no cups for the espresso. The espresso was served in ordinary cups from the breakfast buffet, so lots of china for such a small portion of concentrated coffee. Anybody knowing something about physics knows, that if you pour a small portion of hot coffee in a big mass of an ordinary cup, that the coffee will be cold immediately. To serve an ordinary espresso is no science, one just needs to have small espresso cups, which have been preheated and pours the hot espresso into the cup. For a restaurant which wants to give the impression of a first class dining experience, this is an absolute no go. In combination with the fact, that my wife’s main course was not correct, it led me to avoid any tipping, as it spoiled my evening.
The restaurant might have nice views, (which I had from my room as well) but I wanted to have a wonderful dining experience. My expectations were not met. There is room for lots of improvements.

Reviewed 28 November 2017

We went here last night for our anniversary and Mahesh was service with a smile! great guy and had a nice conversation with him. Food was nice however small portion size. settle in for 4/5 courses for a filling night.