“Great Atmosphere”

Price range: US$31 - US$61
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

What was meant to be a business lunch turned into a long afternoon session at Indu Dining.

Winding your way down from Angel Place, you could be forgiven for believing you've found the service entrance and admittedly, the lack of signage adjacent to the door made us question if we were in the right place.

We were shown to a small semi circular booth by our waiter - just enough room for 4 blokes but still a bit of a squeeze.

We started with Kingfisher ales all round before migrating to a wonderful Epsilon Barossa Shiraz. The extensive Sri Lankan inspired menu found us simply ordering a banquet - no regrets there - and this would be my recommendation. Egg hopper with eggplant, pomegranate and coconut, goats leg dosa, go that little bit extra for the lamb raan!! From watermelon salad to fresh scallops, lamb ribs and mini gin and tonic cheese cakes for dessert - we were not to be disappointed.

Service was polite and well paced, the atmosphere of the basement of this old building adding to the overall experience. Perhaps a bit pricey but great quality and a wonderful experience. We will definitely be back!

Reviewed 26 July 2017

Enjoyed a meal here with my family - myself, my wife and two teenagers. We love Indian food and gave this place a try, up market, expensive twist on Indian cuisine, some familiar flavour combinations and overall really enjoyed the meal, cocktails were great too

Reviewed 25 July 2017

An overall positive experience. Came here for my birthday to celebrate with girlfriends and we booked the private dining room (min spend $1000). Upon arrival we discovered it is not a wholly separate dining room but more of an enclave within the dining area, only sectioned off by sheer curtains, which we had no issue with. It did however become an annoying issue later on when the waiters continually opened the curtains and left them open despite our repeated requests to have them closed (or why else is it even a private dining room?). Food was tasty delicious and I encourage people to try this place for their modern take on Indian food, there was no bad dish and everyone at the table could not fault on flavour. A very good restaurant to introduce someone new to Indian food. We dined on the $65 banquet menu and there was plenty of food to go round - highlights include the entrees of salmon papdi's and crab koftas. The mains of curries were also delicious (although nothing game-changing of course). The biggest letdowns however would be the pacing and service. There was approximately 9 dishes in our banquet and they were being bought out 3 at a time. At each interval we waited 20-30mins at a time before the next lots of dishes came out. Our main waiter was very courteous and humourous and he made the best of the experience, ensuring we were at least provided drinks routinely whilst waiting for the food. Overall, a good dining experience. Had the kitchen service been faster and the waiter staff more attentive to our requests, this would have been a 5-star rating. Room for improvement still but definitely lots of potential.

Reviewed 22 July 2017

I should preface my review by saying I am not the worlds biggest Indian food fan and never seek out this cuisine, but on this occasion my wife made the booking for us and friends visiting from Melbourne, having been there for a work event.

With the exception of a visit to Bombay back in the early 1990's and in particular a visit to a restaurant called The Khyber that was one of the best meals I have ever had, I generally never like Indian food in Australia. INDU however is not like any other Indian restaurant I have ever been to.

Simply put, the food is exceptional, and at times mind blowingly so. We ordered the $80 banquet and as such we able to sample many of the dishes on offer, all of them were great, some simply wow! I must say the signature Lamb dish which while very good, was not as good as the earlier lamb ribs we had.

I do think the meal peeked early with all of the entrees being amazing, and the big finish in terms of protein were just very good. Thankfully the deserts lifted it all back up again with the Gin and Tonic Cheesecakes and Watermelon Granita being the perfect end to what was a very good meal.

What is rather unusual about the place is the choice of music being played, everything from Don McLean's 'American Pie' to many tracks from The Beatles and even Bob Dylan's 'Like a Rolling Stone', makes a really nice change from the rubbish played in most places these days!

Finally, yes the place has that corporate franchise feel about it, (not sure if that is the case or not), staff are OK but we did have one waiter still describing the dish as he was walking away so we failed to hear the full description.

All in all this is a must visit I think, the food is simply too interesting and delicious to not go here at least once in your life!

Reviewed 22 July 2017 via mobile

Decorations and atmosphere transform you to south east Asia with Indian overtones. Don't expect standard Indian cuisine but a hybrid modern take with hit and miss results. Had the $68 set menu per person.Entrees were mixed some hitting the mark others lacking flavour whilst the more substantial main courses for sharing were authentic and tasty. Bread was excellent.
Overall I would return but be careful with choice of dishes.