“Trip out”
Review of Bistrot Gavroche

Bistrot Gavroche
Ranked #64 of 6,858 Restaurants in Sydney
Price range: US$11 - US$29
Description: Bistrot Gavroche is a classic French bistro in Kensington St Sydney. Housed in a beautiful old rum warehouse, Bistrot Gavroche respects the historical structure of this timeless Sydney space while creating a traditional Parisian bistro atmosphere that’s unique to the city. Bistrot Gavroche is the perfect backdrop for entertaining, celebrations and corporate functions with menus well-suited for sharing. The extensive wine list showcases some of the best vintages from French and Australian wineries, so allow our team to create a tailored wine experience to complement the menu and impress your guests.
Reviewed 20 September 2018

Coming from the U.K. We had 5 nights in Sydney. We returned for one night to catch a flight the next day and researched this restaurant. So glad we came here the food was delicious the wine was excellent the timing of the service perfect. Well done chef and your team so typically French in every way. The froie gras In fact all the food we had❤️

BistrotGavroche, Owner at Bistrot Gavroche, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2018

Dear Simon,

Thank you very much for your great review. I am glad that you found us, the neighborhood is really up and coming, and being upstairs in an Old Rum Warehouse makes the Bistrot a destination. We are indeed very French - all the furniture and decor comes from there, and most of us as well. The wines come from Australia and France, 50% each - we let our customer decide, this can be a touchy issue!

We hope to see you during your next trip to Sydney,

Best regards,

Reviewed 17 September 2018

We went for Wednesday lunch and were the only table. We had duck parfait and pork terrine for entres. For main we had Chateaubriand with frites. The beef was perfectly cooked and the frites were excellent. We had an Aussie Cab Shiraz (Passion has Red Lips $65 bottle - expensive) which was rich and enjoyable. We finished off with coffees.
Overall we enjoyed the meal and the service but would have been better if there were more people.

BistrotGavroche, Owner at Bistrot Gavroche, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2018

Dear David,

Thank you for your comment - we are very happy that you enjoyed your meal at the Bistrot.

We cook the beef according to a recipe I learned many years ago while learning my skills in a famous restaurant in Paris, I am glad to serve it today in Sydney. Lunch crowd is very inconsistent indeed, we are working at it!

Reviewed 13 September 2018

We made a booking for a large party and this was well accommodated. They served us really well, the staff are professional and very courteous. The food was nice, a good size for you to enjoy the meal with good subtle flavours.

BistrotGavroche, Owner at Bistrot Gavroche, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2018

Dear Mekros,

Thank you for your nice review. I am glad that we were able to serve your party, and that you had a good time at the Bistrot.
I am also happy to be able to offer genuine French cuisine to you and your party. We work hard to ensure that the tastes at the Bistrot are comparable to the tastes you get in Paris - it really matters to us and I'm glad it showed. I hope that you will visit us soon.

Best Regards

Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

I had just been to my Masters graduation and wanted a nice place to celebrate. Bistro Gavroche happened to be the closest place to our hotel... And we could not believe our luck!

The food, the wine, the beer, the Chartreuse... the decor... and of course, the service. Everything was the right amount of class balanced with the right amount of relaxation (as a good French Bistro should be). This was a perfect night and I’ll be back next time I’m in Sydney...

Dear Damien,

Sometimes luck plays a good part, we are very happy that you enjoyed your graduation party with us! The décor is indeed very authentic, every piece of furniture and decoration come handpicked (some even carefully hand-carried) from France. The recipes are also traditional, some of them from my grandfather who was a chef in Paris.

We stay true to French respect for using only the freshest ingredients from Australia, as well as condiments and cheeses from France. We are glad the cuisine, service, decor, wines and overall experience all comes together to give you a true French bistrot experience, if only for one night! We hope to see you when you come back to Sydney.

Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

It is a very nice place to spend time with your family and friends with delicious food and good atmosphere. Terrine and crab meat dishes were lovely. Steak and ravioli dishes were also delicious. Profiteroles were yum. I will definitely be back again for my next Sydney trip

Dear Rangsima,

Thank you very much for your review. The terrine is indeed my grandfather’s recipe, and we haven’t change it for years, and won’t change it ever! I too like the Crab thermidor - a traditional recipe usually made with lobster, but we found that the Australian crab does well with it. As for the profiteroles, we are glad to have a great pastry chef in-house, not many independent restaurants have one nowadays. We certainly hope to see you back during your next trip to Sydney!