“Average French food at a not so average price”
Review of Bistrot Gavroche

Bistrot Gavroche
Ranked #73 of 6,890 Restaurants in Sydney
Price range: US$11 - US$29
Description: Bistrot Gavroche is a classic French bistro in Kensington St Sydney. Housed in a beautiful old rum warehouse, Bistrot Gavroche respects the historical structure of this timeless Sydney space while creating a traditional Parisian bistro atmosphere that’s unique to the city. Bistrot Gavroche is the perfect backdrop for entertaining, celebrations and corporate functions with menus well-suited for sharing. The extensive wine list showcases some of the best vintages from French and Australian wineries, so allow our team to create a tailored wine experience to complement the menu and impress your guests.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Good location and really nice restaurant ambience. Unfortunately the waiter didn’t offer us side plates after serving us bread and forgot our drink orders well into our appetisers. The onion soup was average, lacked depth of flavour and missing the burnt caramel taste. The rump steak and profiteroles were excellent. The beef bourguignon seemed to be put together rather than slow-cooked together, leaving a bad sharp cheap wine taste. The first waiter seemed to be in a rush but the second waitress was excellent and provide great service. Definitely will not revisit this bistro.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Arriving from Perth, staying at Four Points by Sheraton, I was delighted to find Bistrot Gavroche just a few minutes walk from the hotel. After reading the reviews, generally good, I can confirm that tonight, a Thursday, the service was excellent, prompt friendly staff, and the food likewise! The duck was delicious, the Bordeaux wine complimented it well, and we finished with crepes suzette. Modestly priced, I’d consider it very good value and strongly recommend it.

Reviewed 3 November 2018

From start to finish, from bistro comfort to atmosphere and ambience, from super service to fabulous presentation; and most importantly from wine to food we had the most delicious evening last night. In a city where the food choices are endless, it was lovely to find somewhere that wasn't fried, fast or aussiefied!!! Simply traditional old school good French cooking with a delicious wine list. Judging by our fellow diners they all thought the same. We will be back and will be spreading the word.

Reviewed 29 October 2018

Our second visit to Gavroche. Again, the ambience of this restaurant is very appealing. On the whole, friendly service. We enjoyed the entrees very much - we shared the baked king crab, and the warm goats cheese salad. But then the mains were disappointing. One large piece of flounder, with parsley butter and two halves of a steamed potato, was ok, but certainly not warranting the price tag of $42. And the confit duck was leaning towards dry/stringy, as was the sole accompaniment of rosti potatoes. But we did enjoy a lovely bottle of Cotes du Rhone.

1  Thank 56gc
Reviewed 28 October 2018

I initially was not going to post a review but rather take up my issues with the restaurant directly. Given that they havent bothered to respond after 5 weeks I thought I would proceed by posting the email I sent them.

Dear Sir/Madam

I was invited by Dimmi to do a review of our recent dining experience at Bistrot Gavroche on Saturday 15th September 2018.

I was reluctant to do this as I thought it would be unfair to express my deep dissatisfaction publicly rather than directly to you.

So let me recount our experience, but first let me say that my partner and I have fine dining meals at least once a week in Sydney and usually three times a week when travelling so my comments are not based on any unreasonable expectation, rather a long history of eating in establishments such as yours.

- We arrived and were seated in what is a lovely restaurant with very positive ambience.

- We ordered a glass of Rose at a cost of $15 (somewhat higher than most restaurants at this level) only to find that the pour is 120mls. A standard restaurant pour is anywhere from 150mls to 190mls and we thought that if you are only offering 120mls that should be made clear to us poor unsuspecting patrons.

- We ordered the onion soup which firstly was served just lukewarm but secondly lacked any flavour or even salt. The waitress handled the fact that it was not hot very well crediting it off our bill – however, I would have preferred a lovely French soup than win a free poorish onion soup.

- Oysters – simply outstanding. Fresh beautiful oysters at a reasonable price.

- I live for fresh foie gras – it is just so hard to come by in Australia with most restaurants offering pate or terrine but few offering seared fresh foie gras. What a deep disappointment this turned out to be. It was served smothered in some kind of sauce which had massive amounts of what I assume was pepper in it. The flavour and texture of the foie gras was totally lost in the thick, sticky, sweet yet peppery “sauce”. Such a shame.

- While the Tartare de Truite was a delightful dish it was not a tartare of any type I had been served before. It is described as “Tasmanian petuna ocean trout tartare with horseradish and lemon” a tartare is defined as “a dish of raw meat or fish sliced very finely or minced, and served with seasoning and a sauce. Not for one second did either of us imagine that a Tartare would be served cooked. Anyway, as I said this dish was excellent.

- Then arrived two dishes that were verging on inedible. The Quenelles which were probably tasty but your description of there being a crayfish sauce was nothing short of deceptive. Again the entire dish lacked any seasoning whatsoever and the sauce tasted more like tasteless warmed up milk than anything else. At any price this would have been disappointing but at $36 even more so.

- The final dish of Flathead and Prawn Ravioli with lobster bisque sauce was marginally behind the massive disappointment of the foie gras. While the actual Ravioli was tasty, the chef threw some extra pasta on the $29 dish, lest the patrons wonder why they had received just two large ravioli. But again the sauce was almost identical to the Quenelles, totally tasteless, somewhat creamier and tasteless but any resemblance to lobster bisque (which by the way is made with tomatoes and would not be the white colour it was on this dish) was solely in the words on the menu.

I trust that my comments above will be taken on board and you will respect the time I have taken to draw these matters to your attention and the goodwill in my providing these comments.