“Nice ambience and good food”

Pepe's Newmarket - Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #71 of 4,892 Restaurants in Brisbane
Price range: US$6 - US$19
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Est. June 2006 Tucked into the vibrant inner-city suburb of Newmarket we offer you a taste of Central America, with a real knack for drinks. Over time sampled a huge range of Mexican Beers and Tequila, to bring you one of Australia's largest ranges of Mexican beer and Tequilas. The owners of Pepes Newmarket have been serving quality Mexican food since opening Brisbane's first Mexican restaurant at Milton in 1972. We believe in serving quality food that not only tastes great but is good for you too. Using the finest ingredients, such as the best quality vegetables and premium lean meats, chicken and seafood. We use cholesterol-free pure canola oil. We never use chemical additives or MSG in our food because we care about the health of our family and yours. Pepe's Mexican is also available for private catering!
Reviewed 27 November 2017

Went for a friends birthday and booked a table for 25 people. Staff was very accommodating and service was prompt. The food was delicious and good portions. Some of us ordered the chimichangas and they were really tasty and flavourful. Overall had a good experience and will return again.

Michael K, Owner at Pepe's Newmarket - Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2017

Hola Veezoo,

Thanks for taking the time to provide us and others with a review of your visit. We're pleased to hear that you were part of a fiesta and celebration here, and that there were a number of elements you enjoyed. The Chimichangas are one of our signature dishes, so glad you loved them.

Thanks for your feedback and for getting in touch, we appreciate it and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Muchas Gracias,

Reviewed 24 November 2017 via mobile

I came here for dinner in a group. The service was fast, as was the good. There was s good range of dishes on the menu, which was hard to choose. I got two soft shell tacos, which were delicious, however small in terms of dinner. I'd probably get the nachos next time. Everyone in my group enjoyed their food.

Pepe's has a great atmosphere, with the restaurant almost full. Friendly warning - I understand that there may be potential issues with parking in the area - I got a spot in the back car park, which was great, but I think there is danger of being towed if you park next door.

Hi Sarah_nz31,

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with a review of your visit here at Pepe's. We're pleased to hear that there were elements of your visit you enjoyed, and it can be a challenge to order, particularly if you've not dined before. The Nacho's are very good along with our Chimichanga (if you're keen to try something new) and we're glad that everyone enjoyed their meals.

Great tip on parking and yes unfortunately our neighbors are "challenging" when it comes to parking and towing is a possibility. We do have on site parking, but it is first in best dressed. We suggest car pooling if coming as a group, or there is ample parking just a short walking distance down if we're full.

Thanks for your feedback, we appreciate it and hope to welcome you back again soon.

Muchas Gracias.

Reviewed 21 November 2017 via mobile

We toke my in law who are set in there way on what they like to eat. They love it ! The seafood was so fresh and filling (highly recommend that dish) for a Mexico restaurant I believe this is one of the best Mexican restaurant in brisbane. Parking is easy. You have to book! It is alway busy even on a week night. Just watch your step you know what I mean when you go!

Hola Isabel W,

Thanks for your kind words, review and recommendation. We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed dining and that there were some favorites on the menu. I'll be sure to pass on your comments and compliments onto our chefs and team. The seafood dishes are very popular, and we ensure that we source and use only the freshest ingredients possible.

Great suggestions about making a booking, as we can at times get quite busy. Yes there is a step into the restaurant so yes it is as we call it a sunken venue.

Thanks for getting in touch, we appreciate it and hope to see you again soon.

Muchas Gracias,

Reviewed 15 November 2017

This place was extremely quiet on a weekday for lunch but that just made it easier to have a conversation. I had the vegetarian quaesadilla which was very flavoursomeand the others also enjoyed their meals. Being in the outside section made it a lottle noisy being on the main rd. Service was good if a little delayed but would definitely return. Parking is around the back odf Wilmington St.

Michael K, Owner at Pepe's Newmarket - Mexican Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2017

Hi 007ms_itchyfeet,

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with a review of your visit and experience here at Pepe's. We're pleased to hear that there were elements of your visit you enjoyed and thank you for your constructive feedback.

Some days, lunch can be rammed and other days as you mentioned quieter, usually on those nights dinner seems to be packed. There often isn't any rhym or reason to it, but we're pleased you saw the positive in being able to obtain parking as well as chatting along with your guests.

Most people rather to sit outside than inside, but if you return and you find the noise of the roadway is intrusive we'll happily move you. When the place is heaving it is and can be quite load- Mexican culture is far from quiet lol, but we like to think that it's a sign of everyone having a good time.

Thanks for your feedback and getting in touch. I'll share this information with our team and we hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Thanks

Michael Kay
Owner

Reviewed 9 November 2017

my friend told told me that we needed to go there... but I was not impressed... the food was overpriced, most of the food didn't look very appealing, it didn't taste wasn't great. the beef- fajitas were overcooked tasted like a rabberband, the nachos had that tomato sauce thrown on top looking horrible, and the chimichanga was soaked in fatty oil.
there was a staff member I believe she was the supervisor or something a female with dark short hair. she was very very rude and unfriendly, seemed like there was a new waitress and she was following the waitress around with her arms crossed intimidating her (what an uncomfortable and awful way to treat their employees). We do not recommend it at all

1  Thank vivianavm

Hi vivianavm,

Thanks for taking the time to provide us with a review of your visit and experience here at Pepe's. The information you've provided and comments made above are very concerning to me, and this is in no way shape or form the experience or offering we want to provide to people.

To better review and discuss with our team, management and staff it would be of tremendous value if you'd be willing to provide us with information and details about when you dined (date/ time) so we can review and investigate further. We'd also like to if you're willing invite you back to return as our guest.

I can understand if you prefer not too, but we do rely on feedback like yours (and while unfortunate this was your first experience and introduction to our restaurant) unless we know then we can't fix or review/ address things.

My email address is - pepesnewmarket@yahoo.com.au

I do hope to hear from you and thank you for reaching out.

Michael Kay