“Interesting Cemetery”

and up
Small Group Ghost Tour of Toowong Cemetery
Ranked #116 of 381 things to do in Brisbane
Reviewed 29 January 2016

We drove to the top of the hill to the big monuments and they are very interesting. There are plaques in place explaining who the people were and careers. They are mostly premiers, governors and historical folks from Brisbane. Huge cemetery with over 120,000 people. It is also a great help to read the website which goes into detail of the notable people buried there.

All reviews
"lots of history"
"ghost tour"

Reviewed 12 November 2015

We attended a recent guided tour through Toowong Cemetery, conducted by the Friends of the Cemetery group.
The tour stopped at the graves of many of Brisbane's historic figures, was well researched and conducted. We found it fascinating, and we highly recommend it

Reviewed 10 November 2015

If like me you like exploring cemeteries and looking for interesting people and gravestones, then Toowong is awesome. Its one of the biggest I've seen and there is such a variety of headstones. Its so big that the access roads all have street names!
I didn't take much of a look around as we were there for one purpose only, and that was to find my other half's 2xGreat Grand Aunt Hannah Russell and her family. We had come all the way from England but I forgot to bring a printout of the plot. All was not lost as I have findagrave on my phone and i looked up the plot details on that. It told us they were in Portion: 18 Section: 034 Grave: 020 & 021. Now this is where it gets spooky - being that the cemetery was huge and we didn't have a map, on the drive down from the gate the only portion number I had noticed was 18 so I immediately knew where that was. However, even in that portion there were hundreds of graves and we couldn't find a sign telling us the section anywhere. We were walking along the road looking for a sign when a couple of headstones down the hill from us looked interesting. I said to my partner, I'm just gonna have a look at those headstones down there a minute and went to look at them. Imagine my surprise when they were Hannah's and her daughter's headstones! I shouted my partner down and she was gobsmacked - she was like "How on earth have we found them just like that in the middle of these thousands of graves!". It was all a bit strange but we were so glad we found them and didn't have to spend all day hunting up and down. We said our hellos and gave the graves a little tidy. My partner was so please to have found them.

2  Thank emtrey
Reviewed 4 May 2015

Firstly, a 5 year old child would be the only one who would have had any kind of reaction to this tour. I will dot point summarise for you:
- What information was provided about the 'residents' of Toowong cemetery was great, but the story surrounding them was a load of bullcrap. One story referred to a 'vampire' who supposedly lives in a part of the cemetery who attacks homeless men who can be seen wondering around the city with 'rake' marks on their faces and murmuring the words ''grove". Who in their right mind would believe this? a 5 year old. anyone over the age of 12 would have laughed, like i did. We stood outside the supposed area in which she lives (didn't even go in) and that was it. Move on.
- another story of a 'recreation' area in the park is said to have unmarked graves there (suicidees, murderers, rapists are said to be buried there from a while ago), this area is used for people to play and 'often' people who take their dogs for walks and let their children play in the area, i noted that this might be considered disrespectful to be standing on someones grave but no grave stones are in that area apparently, the tour guide then said "if a child is seeing playing and trips over, it would be a grave stone they have fallen over" umm, contradiction much?
- we were interrupted by some 'random' kids who were in the cemetery, obviously not knowing they weren't allowed to be there so we were steered away from that area, later on once they had left we were not able to visit the site? i.e. missing out on a 'story'
- the peter jackson grave story was okay, but the dates and facts were wrong (said on the grave stone he died aged 75 and the guide said he died at 40).
- the waging and betting of souls story is a joke, if you peer between the stone and the monument you can see him and his mates playing poker, if you're brave enough you can wager part of your soul/life......yeah........righto.....
- Not only were the stories sounding like a load of made up nonsense that any normal person would have said stretched the truth but (there was great historical information in there) nothing was scary and it all seemed a bit stretched or just completely made up. The bulletproof glass on the temple of peace, my friend installs glass and said that there was no way that was bulletproof.
-The statue that moves.....well thats a lie, such an unrealistic story. Sounds like a bed time story.
- There were no 'ghost' stories, there was only about 3 interesting graves, nothing was scary and nothing jumped out or moved.
- I would suggest turning these 'ghost tours' into ghost attractions/amusements/fright nights, like have things jump out or have a 'vampire' in the grove who you can see walking around, or the lady in lace walk up the road
- The other thing i'd like to mention is the fact that every time i tried to look around/ look at other graves I was stopped and asked 'if there was a problem', yes, my problem is that i was bored with your seemingly made up stories and I can't look around at nearby graves/graves we were passing. I don't want to run off by myself but id love to be able to stop and have a look at interesting/any other graves. I felt hurried along and like i was being treated as child.
- 0 scare factor except for my friends/other people stirring each other up, missed out on a few sites as well which was disappointing when we read through the booklet later.
- The guide was okay, but for an 'actor' could have a better/functional/creepy character to play (coming from 5 years studying at WAAPA), he just seemed to remember the dates and names well.

Overall, it was a spur of the moment thing, I had been planning on doing a few ghost amusement/tours for a long time and had been building up my expectations and was let down so much. I felt deflated, bored and over all unamused. It was not worth the $40 each for this 'experience'. I would have much preferred going in with my family/friends by our selves and reading the tomb stones/ history plaques and stirring each other up that way.
The only good thing i can say was that there was information and history provided which is somewhat educational (not that i remember much of it).
Not scary.
Not fun.
Not an experience.
Not worth it.
I'd rather risk the illegality of entering a cemetery after dark than pay that much money again for a let down experience.
I will be suggesting to my 250+ clients to never go to this.

3  Thank Maddi L