“Worth a Visit ”
Review of Toowong Cemetery

Toowong Cemetery
Ranked #110 of 389 things to do in Brisbane
Reviewed 25 March 2016 via mobile

Great historic adventure. Spooky yet incredible. On a bit of a slope but many graves to read and stories that seem To jump out of your head whilst there. Known to be haunted. I'm not sure about that but it was an experience for sure.

All reviews
"old trees"
"providing shade"
"touching stories"
"vast area"
"ghost tour"
"worth a visit"
in 4 reviews
"beautiful place to visit"
"few hours"
"tours"
in 5 reviews
"stroll"

Reviewed 11 March 2016

Don't waste your time going. If you are a historical buff you are wasting your time. Tombstone reading is at best difficult and often impossible. Limited shade and water.

Reviewed 29 January 2016

We drove to the top of the hill to the big monuments and they are very interesting. There are plaques in place explaining who the people were and careers. They are mostly premiers, governors and historical folks from Brisbane. Huge cemetery with over 120,000 people. It is also a great help to read the website which goes into detail of the notable people buried there.

Reviewed 12 November 2015

We attended a recent guided tour through Toowong Cemetery, conducted by the Friends of the Cemetery group.
The tour stopped at the graves of many of Brisbane's historic figures, was well researched and conducted. We found it fascinating, and we highly recommend it

See more reviews
Reviewed 10 November 2015

If like me you like exploring cemeteries and looking for interesting people and gravestones, then Toowong is awesome. Its one of the biggest I've seen and there is such a variety of headstones. Its so big that the access roads all have street names!
I didn't take much of a look around as we were there for one purpose only, and that was to find my other half's 2xGreat Grand Aunt Hannah Russell and her family. We had come all the way from England but I forgot to bring a printout of the plot. All was not lost as I have findagrave on my phone and i looked up the plot details on that. It told us they were in Portion: 18 Section: 034 Grave: 020 & 021. Now this is where it gets spooky - being that the cemetery was huge and we didn't have a map, on the drive down from the gate the only portion number I had noticed was 18 so I immediately knew where that was. However, even in that portion there were hundreds of graves and we couldn't find a sign telling us the section anywhere. We were walking along the road looking for a sign when a couple of headstones down the hill from us looked interesting. I said to my partner, I'm just gonna have a look at those headstones down there a minute and went to look at them. Imagine my surprise when they were Hannah's and her daughter's headstones! I shouted my partner down and she was gobsmacked - she was like "How on earth have we found them just like that in the middle of these thousands of graves!". It was all a bit strange but we were so glad we found them and didn't have to spend all day hunting up and down. We said our hellos and gave the graves a little tidy. My partner was so please to have found them.

2  Thank emtrey