“Very disappointing ”

Cairns Fishing Charter
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

What a total waste of half a day in this beautiful place. Cairns doesn’t deserve operators that are cocky and arrogant. I didn’t know that part of my half day fishing that an hour and a half was spent watching Jim throw his net to catch bait. I can’t even say that the scenery was great because we were looking at the ship yard. When the fishing finally started we were given minimal advice and very little tips. Jim was pretty busy on his phone unfortunately. Anything that was caught was thrown back without explanation or discussion. Jim’s people skills are.....well minimal at best, he claimed to be running for a long time... surprised to be honest. Next time if I want seafood..... I’ll spend my $100 more wisely . Waste of time

8  Thank nonuborg
in 4 reviews
"sharks"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

We went on a half day trip (morning) & was very disappointed....Jim is a rude man who treats everyone like idiots. We spent the first 45 mins watching him trying to catch bait (thought he should've been prepared & already had it organised). We didn't even leave the harbour, we fished in 2 spots & then he took us into an estuary to look for crocs before returning us back to the pier half hr early. Don't waste your time or money on Jim... wish we had've read reviews beforehand. It was the worst part of our 7 day holiday ☹

2  Thank trace246
Jim103299, Owner at Cairns Fishing Charter, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

If you had of taken the time to read our brochure or website it says that all trips begin with the collection of live bait. My day already starts at 5.30am do you suggest it should start at 4.30am. It also says that locations are selected taking into consideration the weather and more importantly the tides.When you traveled we were in the middle of neap tides (no run). This makes extremely difficult fishing and the best locations to fish are the deeper holes closer to the marina.All this was explained to you on the day. We were targeting fingermark on the day and it was also explained to All on board that they had been biting very softly and the best place for you rod when live baiting for them was in the rod holder and when striking a fish you needed to stand up to avoid hitting the rod on the canopy. You ingnorned my advice and chose to hold the rod sitting down resulting in striking to early and missing the fish and also hitting the rods on the canopy. The majority of the other guests had asked if we could see a crocodile so we did finish a little early trying to find one.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

I did the half day tour which took us to 3 locations where we caugh minimal fish ( not deep sea fishing). Jim attitude needs to change or he needs to change his careeer. This was a waste of time on my holiday. Its not that we didnt catch alot of fish but the fact he made it even more dissapointing with his grumpy attitude . This should have been a fun experience.

Notw - If you go on this tour make sure you take your own water /food/ sunscreen as nothing is provided

3  Thank Ambertalia
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Well it pains me to write this but my partner and I returned to the jetty at Cairns after a morning fishing with Jim. We both looked at each other as we walked away and said what a rude pig of a man. From the very minute we arrived we were treated like a nuisance. He did not smile or have a nice thing to say the whole trip. Its also the first time I've seen a guide fishing as well. He caught a fish that was a keeper but didn't offer it to the unfortunate guys from NZ who were a little inexperienced and landed only throw backs. I have been fishing for more than 50 years and the comments that Jim barked at me when I had a fish on were quite baffling to say the least. He needs to get another job he is bad for the industry in Cairns. Worst experience of our 10 day holiday. I suggest looking elsewhere for a guided trip. I will say we caught a few keeper fish but Jim kept all but the one I caught which he gutted for me but not scaled. I had to deal with that myself. Not fun in a hotel room.

3  Thank nugget20369
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 August 2017

Jim is unfriendly and disrespectful, and he seems don't wanna people to keep fish, cause he never ask anyone wanna keep fish, he just release all day.
We booked a full day fishing trip with gone fishing on 7/8/2017, and Jim confirmed that for us. 8 people on board that day, fished half day passed, Jim ferried us back to marina, then i asked him about afternoon. After all people left, he answered me that "this afternoon is only you 2, so i can't take a trip for only 2, i will refund the different amount to you." WTF, That was ridiculous, if i know that before, i will choose another charter. We were total disappointed about his manner and personality !

2  Thank 三色貓 三