Cairns City Backpackers
US$120
US$100
Novotel
  • Restaurant
Ibis Styles Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$93
US$79
Hotels.com
US$69
US$66
  • Pool
Park Regis City Quays(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$98
US$64
US$119
US$105
  • Pool
Mantra Esplanade Cairns(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$144
US$127
  • Pool
Coral Tree Inn(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$75
Cairns Sheridan Hotel(Cairns)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$95
US$128
US$78
US$83
US$80
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 December 2015

Probably the best thing about this place is the extremely laid back common area. There's a pool table there, and you're allowed to drink your own alcohol, which makes for an extremely chilled out and friendly atmosphere. I stayed here 2 nights, and on the first the frame popped out of the top bunk, and I nearly fell onto the guy beneath me. Not a lot of space in either the toilet or the kitchen, but neither were overly dirty. Staff weren't the friendliest, but again, okay to deal with.

Pretty cheap, and pretty okay. Wouldn't stay here too long, but it's okay for a night or two and what you're paying.

Stayed: August 2015
Reviewed 5 November 2015

Flew to cairns in August 2015 and got taxi to this hostel. Reception all closed at 9pm. A guest told me to check cubby hole where i found a key and a note with the name of my room. Dragged my suitcase up a broken staircase and opened the door to an 8 bed dorm, when my key opened it i presumed this was my room, discovered after that it wasn't. Dragged my bag around the broken boardwalk up more wooden stairs to my room "3 kangaroo" I think it was, it was the 4 bed female dorm, first door on left. There were 2 female toilets at the end of the hall, one of which had a door. I slept in my top bunk, on my skinny mattress in the tiny room and got up the next morning when the 3 other girls in the room left for a tour. I decided screw this i'll pay the extra 40 dollars or whatever and upgrade to a private double room. When I was gathering my stuff the cleaner came in to pull the sheets off the bed, by the looks of it that's the only cleaning that gets done. She was a lovely friendly girl and a had a lot of work for one cleaner! When she pulled the sheet off the bed she went to the leave the room and I called her and asked whats that? I had just spotted this black fat bug about the size of a ladybird running around on the end corner of the white mattress protector. She got the bug onto the sheet and to my relief ran to manager with it and they both returned rapidly. On return he removed the entire mattress immediately without a word. I came back to collect my other suitcase and was informed they were the biggest bedbugs they had ever seen. Two in my bed, the one I saw and one more at the head of the bed.

I went to reception and spoke to the girl at reception. She sniggered when I asked if I could get a discount for my upgrade to a private room and said "for all we know you brought the bed bugs in in your luggage ". I went to my new private room and stared at the filthy dusty walls and opened the windows to try and remove the smell of curry or whatever it was. When I turn on the fan which points down on the bed chunks of dust flew from the fan down on to the sheets. I grabbed my bag, went to reception, ignored the rude receptionist and waited to speak to the nice manager who I had seen take the mattress. I told him the room was filthy and I would like the money back that I had just paid for my upgrade and that I was going to stay somewhere else. He was polite and said no problem. The receptionist refunded the upgrade money I had just paid and my key deposit and I left. That morning I walked around cairns in the heat pulling my bag looking for a hotel with a vacancy. I checked into the Bohemia Resort which I liked and spent the next 6 hours going through every item in my suitcase, paranoid of bedbugs. Thankfully I found nothing. I left cairns 2 days later and spent a fantasic 5 days in Pippies hostel in Cape Tribulation. When I returned to Cairns for round 2...I rented a private room in an apartment. Airbnb all the way!!!!

Room Tip: Spend the extra 6 or 7 dollars per night and stay in a decent hostel.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
3  Thank nicola f
Reviewed 16 September 2015 via mobile

Stayed 2nights! Was ok. Very basic. We had a 6dorm mixed room. Was ok. Bit stuffy thank god for the air con, reception very helpful booked our snorkelling tour and got our underwater camera. Very helpful in giving directions etc. showers are very very basic. Bit small too, nowhere to change after hopping out, unless you nip to the loo. Basic and cheap! Ok for a quick stopover

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 August 2015 via mobile

The room was unacceptable and I could face staying. I booked online thinking it sounded quite nice for its price and in a very convenient location. I booked into a 4 sleeper dorm. I'm not really fussy, and was not expecting anything amazing but I do expect a room to be clean and presentable.
When I arrived I was optimistic, although quite simple and outdated from the outside, it seemed alright. I checked in and was given the room key. Entering the building the firm was in I started getting worried. The couches in the entrance were old and smelled funny.i went into the room. He other the beds were full and the room was a complete mess,I couldn't even find space on the floor to do my best (I realise this is a result of the guests but still, no encouragement to guests to be respectful to others). I checked out the bed and just couldn't face sleeping there. The room was dark and dank and had an upsetting smell. The mattress was small and weathered and the pillow looked like it had something growing in it.
The kitchen area was also very run down and ill stocked.
Concerned for my health in the room I couldn't stay and decided to find alternative accommodation. I was informed that because I had booked using a special giving a night free, i was not eligible for any refund. After arguing that I was concerned for my health, having severe mould allergies, they eventually refunded 3 out of the 8 nights I had booked for.
Without some proper renovations i would not recommend anyone start there.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
1  Thank RobRaw01
Reviewed 24 April 2015

Cairns City Backpackers is one of my favorite hostels I've stayed in! it's a small hostel with a really friendly and chilled vibe.

The reception staff are really lovely! Though the pool isn't very big, it is clean and good to dip in to cool off.

There are three kitchens, so there's always a spare stove to cook on. The computers in the hotel aren't too fast, but they are free to use. The wifi is good in the mornings, in the evenings it slows down. Then again, it's free so you can't complain.

It is about a 10 minute walk from the city, 25 minutes to the lagoon. It's close to Coles which is good because you don't have to lug your shopping across the city.

I'm surprised seeing some of the bad reviews on here because I've only had positive experiences! It's basic, but great value for money :)

Room Tip: The Boomerang rooms are good, wifi is strong and the dorms have good shelve storage :)
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo