“A great spot but Pricey”

Coconut Grove Apartments
Reviewed 27 August 2011

We have just come back from 8 days in Port Douglas. I have also reviewed Sky Safari, Calypso, Synergy, Aquarius, Jungle Surfing, Rainforest Centre and most restaurants.

On Coconut Grove:
We had a penthouse apartment with roof pool. We found it clean and very functional; the staff was very helpful in making all our reservations and giving advice on the activities. Coconut Grove is just on the commercial end of Macrossan Street and so only a few minutes’ walk from all the action.
The Apartment had a great setup with good kitchen and appliances. Nice bathroom and products. The servicing on our fourth day was good and it did not worry us it was not done each day as we are tidy people. We had a nice view over the town and out to the hinterland, with plenty of places to eat. Also just few minutes walk from the beach. There is secure parking. Coles is only 5 minutes down the street where you can buy everything. The town has a good pharmacy which supply travel sickness tablets much cheaper than buying them on a boat.

Pros
Location: close to town and no need to take a bus or drive. Just walk down to the restaurants.
Staff: friendly, efficient and knowledgeable and can make all the bookings. They arranged a car to pick us up at the airport, all tours and restaurants.
Apartment: Spacious enough to do nothing (if it was raining or just chilling out) or just use as a place to sleep.
You are not in a 400 room hotel where you get lost.

Cons
No shade in pool area (we only used the pool once and after 4 pm when we had some shade).
Can be noisy if people around are noisy, but OK if the outside doors were closed.
On the high-end price range.
Charge $10 per day for Wi Fi. (At these prices I think it would be included in price).

Overall I would recommend Coconut Grove if price is not your issue and you are after the freedom of an apartment.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ddsheywo

Reviewed 24 August 2011

I stayed in the 1 x Bedroom Penthouse in August
The rooms were very clean and the rooftop BBQ / pool and spa were great if you just wanted to just hang out in your apartment.
I would not recommend Coconut Grove if you wanted a peaceful stay with complete privacy. Even in the Penthouse we could wave to our neighbours as we sunbaked. The apartments are right next to each other and as most have an outside pool the noise at night echo's through all the rooms - especially with the kids screaming as they jump in and out of the pool.
The location is perfect and the service was great - however I personally think they are overpriced.

Room Tip: Request a corner room - at least you will only have one neighbour
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank TG2303
Reviewed 22 August 2011

My husband and I stayed two nights at Coconut Grove and were very impressed. The apartments are very well designed and the furnishings and fittings are of a very high quality. We utilised the private bbq and found that we had everything we needed. It's not cheap but well worth staying here as the location and quality can not be beaten. On a side note, they do say that the apartments are only serviced after every 5 days but we only stayed 2 nights and the room was serviced. Our stay at Coconut Grove was wonderful and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend these apartments to others.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Let me start by saying, we didn’t stay at Coconut Grove in Sept 2010, we stayed in November 2009. At the time there were no reviews on Tripadvisor as it was fairly new I believe. On seeing it on the website I had to add my 2pence worth as it is an AMAZING place to stay.

We stayed here for 4 nights and I wish I had booked it for the duration of our time in Port Douglas. It is hands down one of the most beautiful apartments/hotels I have stayed in, and I have been to a number of lovely places over the years.

From the clean unassuming lines outside the property to the beautiful well thought out interior of the lovely rooms, there is nothing I could fault about this place. We had a beautiful room with a huge Kitchen/open plan seating area, and a separate bedroom and walk through cupboard/bathroom. There is also a large balcony which looks out over the main road – incidentally it also looks down on the rooms with the private pools (I wish we had booked one of these but not sure how private they are given we could see directly on to them!)

The most amazing thing about the rooms are how big they are and how much space you have to relax. This in addition to the lovely Egyptian cotton sheets that could not be any cleaner or whiter had they been new means that this is an apartment I will never forget. If you think that all the minimalist decor and impersonal nature of the outside is going to dictate the service, you would be wrong. On our arrival we had a huge platter of different seasonal fruits and water waiting for us chilled in the massive fridge- a lovely touch after a long journey to Port Douglas. The location is fantastic being a few short minutes walk from the beach, and as its on the main strip, there are plenty of bars/restaurants/night life right on your door step.

If I had to say there was a downside, I guess I could say the pool area - it is made for the aesthetic as opposed to function and therefore looks beautiful but wouldn’t be great to relax by as I don’t think there was much sun on that side of the apartment. That being said-you are a short distance to the lovely beach so why sit by the pool??

I loved this apartment- if I get to go back to Port Douglas I will definitely be staying here.

Room Tip: Book a room with the private pool!
  • Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rupi30
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We stayed in a terrace with private pool and spar. The hotel is new, very clean and spacious. I wish we had have stayed longer, but we will definately be back! Highly recommended. The staff were professional and helpful with everything we needed.

Room Tip: Try to make holiday bookings early, but well worth the wait.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple