“Great Ambiance”

The Beach Shack Restaurant
Ranked #31 of 133 Restaurants in Port Douglas
Price range: US$5 - US$26
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A local favourite, "The Shack" introduces you to a truly tropical Port Douglas dining experience with a wonderful mix of funky ambiance and laid back Queensland style. An eclectic mix of sandy floor, colourful lanterns, and a chill out bar with comfy couches, "The Shack" offers a delicious restaurant menu or more relaxed pizza bar menu. Come in for a beer and a pizza or a bubbles and tapas - it's what the locals do! Bookings for the restaurant are absolutely essential to guarantee a table!
Reviewed 11 June 2018

This place is one of my 2 locals bars/restaurants.
The food is great (you can even get tapas and also take away Pizza). Its a very friendly place and you can choose to sit inside or sit out under the canopies and be barefoot in the sand beneath.
I like this place but it closes FAR too early and obviously really only caters for the food market, which is a shame as me as a local (I am new here) I would love to frequent it more and stay later than 9:30pm. To get to town from here is a shuttle bus ride away so sometimes it is really nice to just stay local and give my money to local businesses :)

Natalie J, General Manager at The Beach Shack Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

HI midgybabe,

Welcome to town! Great to read you enjoy the food with us.

As much as we would like to stay open longer, our liquor licence does not permit it due to restrictions on how long alcohol can be served when food service is completed. The Tav around the corner don't have the same restrictions as us as their licence is a bit different, so please continue to stay local with us for food and the Tav after we close!

Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

At the far end of 4 mile beach...well worth a visit. Excellent pizza. Obliging friendly staff. Outdoor space with sand underground...feel like you are on the beach.

Hi MarilynDun,

We love the sandy floor - definitely makes you feel as if you are in the tropics! Thanks for the great review!

Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

Relaxed vibe, friendly staff, great food!
This restaurant is so cool.. we could even feel the sand between our toes...loved it.
I enjoyed an amazing vegetarian stack.. layers of eggplant and vegetables. So good!! Even though the place was packed the service was quick and spot on. Highly recommended.

Hi Rachel J,

Awesome to read you loved the Macca Stack! It's a goodie and one of my favourites when I am looking for a veggie hit!

Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

Had takeaway pizza from here many years ago and were impressed by service and taste.

Dining in we ordered pizzas. Those on offer are mostly slightly unusual combos.

Fellow diners pronounced pumpkin, tandoori chicken and meat lovers delicious. I had the seafood marinara which was a bit unusual. Topping was very nice but base wasn’t to my liking - while relatively thin, wasn’t crispy. Almost like it had been sitting for a while.

Pizzas also took a long time to arrive - maybe 40 minutes. Odd as there were very few diners in the restaurant, can only assume they were focusing on customers in the bar / lounge area which is disappointing.

2  Thank Annemarie D
Reviewed 1 June 2018

I'm a local and I've ordered pizza from these guys 3 times. Twice it took over an hour to get to us with the pizza being cold and stodgy when it arrived.
Plenty of places in Port to get a feed that will serve you better.

3  Thank Sgt G

Hi Sgt G,

As with my previous response, we had been having some issues with our home delivery and take away so had our Restaurant Manager working in this section to seek out the issues and rectify them. We do hope you will stop in again.