“Perfect Location”

Martinique on Macrossan
Ranked #16 of 42 Hotels in Port Douglas
Reviewed 1 December 2010

I'm writing this review to take exception with Cody56's less than complimentary review. Don't let his review persuade you not to stay here.

We spent a wonderful four nights at Martinique on Macrossan, and will gladly return the next time we visit Port Douglas. The location is excellent, the quite end of Macrossan, next to the Four Mile beach and within walking distance to all the good restaurants, Coles (the local supermarket) and the marina.

Fred and Antonia, the property managers, were lovely people and extremely helpful. Fred greeted us upon our arrival Sunday evening and carried our heavy bag upstairs. They discussed the pros and cons of the various tours and then booked them for us. When we decided to visit the Wildlife Habitat, Antonia provided us with a 20% off coupon and dropped what she was doing and insisted of driving us there so we wouldn't have to bother with catching the bus! When we requested they book an afternoon shuttle to return to the airport, they voluntarily suggested we stay late, at no cost, without my having to request a late checkout.

One final item that I did not read in any other review, was the availability of filtered water to refill your water bottles with. We drink a lot of water, and the savings probably paid for one of our lunches.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 November 2010

I would like to confirm all the previous, positive reviews of the Martinique. We were situated in a courtyard room with plenty of tropical foliage surrounding us. The apartment complex had a lovely relaxed tropical feel with nice bunches of tropical gingers, heliconias in vases dotted around the foyer. A fountain and fish pond at the entrance which was the home to large green tree frogs was welcoming. We stayed for 3 nights, Fred and Antonia were great hosts and let us have a late check-out free of charge. We met other travellers while we were there and all seemed very friendly and suitably chilled out. I must comment on a few issues raised by "cody56". I too have stayed in many hotels and apartments throughout the world and must say I have never come across apartments which also have a maid service. I'm sure this kind of establishment exists but I would have thought, is very much in the minority. If you want a daily maid service then it would be best to stay in a hotel room rather than an apartment with all the additional facilities and space that it offers. Unfortunately, for all travellers from the USA, due to the parity with the American dollar, all accommodation in Australia would seem expensive at the moment. So the $150 that Cody56 paid would seem expensive but is subjective on the exchange rate and is an unfair comparison. We only met one Australian couple over the 3 days, the rest were from overseas. If you take the advice of cody56 and "go elsewhere along the strip" I think you will find all apartments will be run along the lines of the Martinique with no maid service, so I wouldn't bother with that. To sum up, if you are a solo traveller or couple, The Martinique is an ideal retreat for all that Port Douglas has to offer, my wife and I wouldn't even consider anywhere else on our next visit after experiencing the ambience of these apartments.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Biljul
Reviewed 13 November 2010

Maybe we are out of touch being from New York. We have literally traveled most of the world with the exception of maybe Africa, Greenland and Iceland.......OK the basics of the global travel. I even went to New Zealand on a business trip last year and stayed in similar "apartment style" lodging. In New Zealand they make your bed and take care of your room and even replace the coffee and cream each day. That is normal when one travels. Well my friend, these little things you will have to do without at Martinique on M........ I have never stayed anywhere, and that includes inexpensive hotels when I was a kid in college............that doesnt have any form of maid service. Nobody to make your bed, clean your room, maintain soap, towel and toilet paper no less. Absurd. When I asked the owner for fresh towels, soap and toilet paper.......yes they were given and when asked regarding maid service......his response was that, oh..that is "the way they do it in Australia" and that for "these prices" that is what is given. Oh really, $150 per night isnt exactly free lodging where I come from. Talk about being insulting to a customer and adding insult to injury. The owners here should thank the lord that the majority of their clients reside from Australia. I say go elswhere on the strip there for lodging and dont forget to ask what is and what is NOT "included".

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cody56
Dutcheggs, Owner at Martinique on Macrossan, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2010

After reading this review it is clear that these guests who did not make a complaint to us, were looking more for hotel style accommodation where you do get room service every day - We advertise our establishment as self contained apartments - Our apartments are fully self-contained and serviced after four days if staying longer than 7 days. We always give our guests clean towels, sugar, coffee, soap etc on request The majority of accommodation in Port Douglas (Regardless of their star rating) are self containted and do not have daily service - and that was what we were trying to tell them
- We are sorry that we did not meet these guests expectations but rely on our previous reviews from guests who were clearly very satisfied
Fred and Antonia Eggers
Owner/Managers

Reviewed 12 November 2010

We spent 6 days at Martinique and could quite happily have spent a lot longer.
Beautiful building in the perfect location, just on the edge of the town so not far to walk for eats,etc but far enough out not to be disturbed by any noise.
We loved the little pool at the back and my husband even made use of the hugh barbi!!
The apartment is just the right size, nice little kitchen and living room. Good size bedroom and bathroom. We had a balcony so use to sit out there in the evenings with a glass of wine or two. The apartments on the ground floor had their own garden area to sit in.
Two minutes (if that) walk from 4 mile beach.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2010

Not my first time here, and hopefully not my last. I liked the decor and the spacious rooms, which were very clean. Also, a nice little pool out the back.
The hosts were very helpful and knowledgeable, and know whats good and not-so-good locally. There are heaps of great restaurants just up the road so you can't go wrong on thet front.
Also, I know the hosts are not adverse to checking out stuff (e.g. new reef trips) for themselves to make sure they are up to snuff..

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo