“Better than the usual beachside surf cafe”

Port Douglas Surf Club Bar & Bistro
Ranked #11 of 20 Quick Bites in Port Douglas
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 5 March 2021 via mobile

Enjoyed lunch here. Offering a limited menu at the moment but we found dishes we liked. Our dishes - squid and vegetarian beans - were both very tasty. A couple of sofas/arm chairs available if you just want to sit and have a drink.

Date of visit: March 2021
1  Thank SDSydney693
Write a reviewReviews (1,343)

Reviewed 27 February 2021

Thanks to Lisa and staff for a beautiful evening! Food was amazing and view of the ocean was surreal. So casual and so relaxing.

Date of visit: February 2021
Reviewed 10 February 2021 via mobile

The young lady at the bar is pretty rude id go somewhere else concidering the money you spend they could be a more welcoming id stay far awayyyy!! Food was alright but pricy for what you get compared to 4 mins up the road as a chef it was sad seeing this.

Date of visit: February 2021
Reviewed 30 January 2021

We have passed this restaurant several times when we were previously in Port Douglas, but never went in.

Last night we decided to try it. We were greeted by a waitress who gave us menus and told us to sit where ever we wanted to.

For Entree, we ordered some Mexican grilled corn and for mains, we had Crispy Skin Salmon and Thick Cut Fire Grilled Rump Steak.

The Mexican corn came out and to be honest, I do not think it was made fresh. You cannot grill corn in 3 minutes and serve it. Due to this, the corn although tasty was very dry and felt like it was cooked hours ago.

The mains were also disappointing. My wife had the Salmon and was barely edible due to how sweet it was. I understand one of the ingredients was pineapple caramel, but there was just too much of it. You are serving a main course, not a sweet dessert.

My rump came out and I must admit, it was huge. However, that is where the positives stopped. It came on the plate by itself (mash and veggies came in a separate bowl).

The steak was in the middle of the middle of the plate swimming in pepper sauce. This in itself would have been fine, but as they did not let the steak rest, the pepper sauce was mixed in with all the blood from the meat as well, which looked disgusting.

However, I was very hungry and just for this, so pushes the gravy and blood away the best I could and started eating. This is where due to the size of the steak, the temperatures were all over the place. I asked fro medium. Some parts were very well done, some were rare and some were medium. Due to the grilling, the outer parts were almost cremated and very hard to cut through, even with a steak knife.

With some many restaurants in Port Douglas, I doubt that I will be dining here again.

Date of visit: January 2021
Reviewed 10 January 2021 via mobile

If you are in port Douglas do yourself a favour and have a feed here. Right by the beach. Cold beer good wine and good food at a reasonable price. Make sure you try the coral trout tacos.

Date of visit: January 2021