All reviewspalmer streetgreat locationacross the bridgeribs and rumpsbedroom apartmentfull kitchennice apartmentreception staffmagnetic islandwould stay againlarge bathroomgreat place to stayrestaurant stripper daylaundry facilitiesbars and restaurantsserviced daily
Reviewed 2 March 2016 via mobile

I've stayed here a couple of times for business and can't fault it. Convenient location, clean, great customer service, well appointed rooms, close to some good food options.

Always my first choice for business travel to Townsville.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled on business
OaksGateway, Manager at Oaks Gateway Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2016

Hi Carolyn,

It is always a pleasure to have you with us. I am delighted to hear that our facilities and service make your stay more pleasurable.

See you next time you are town!

Reviewed 24 February 2016

Always a pleasant stay at the Oaks. Friendly staff who are willing to fix bookings around for you, clean rooms (albeit a little odd in their design or lack of) and great location for food and good coffee (Dominion Coffee). Parking is easy. Good pool.Good starting point for walking up the goat track (Castle Hill).

Room Tip: North facing away from Palmer street as it can get a little noisy.
Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
OaksGateway, Manager at Oaks Gateway Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2016

Hi Rodney,

It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and found the team to be helpful throughout your stay. Our location certainly is an added advantage with a short walk putting you in the centre of town and the main dining precinct of Townsville right outside our front door!

We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Townsville.

Reviewed 20 February 2016 via mobile

Firstly, both staff that I encountered on my visit were genuinely pleasant and helpful.
The facilities in my room, which was the base model were adequate and the room was clean. I was advised when booking in future I could request river view but didn't need it this visit. This hotel is located on a street with several good restaurants for breakfast lunch and dinner. I prefer jam corner over the road for good coffee and breakfast but it gets busy at 7.30-9am weekdays!
This facility has some undercover parking at no extra charge and some rooms have baths and spa baths.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
OaksGateway, Manager at Oaks Gateway Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2016

Hi,

I am pleased to hear that you found the room suited your needs, was clean and that the team were helpful during your stay. Our first priority is to provide our guests with great service and it is very fulfilling to hear that we are achieving that.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you are next in Townsville!

Reviewed 19 February 2016 via mobile

I spent 5 nights here for business in mid February 2016. Online check in was easy and the hotel was very accommodating to my colleagues special requests.

The hotel is on Palmer Street surrounded by a number of restaurants & is a stones throw from the CBD.

The staff were excellent here, of all the places I have stayed around the world the staff here are as good as any & significantly better than the other Oaks properties I have stayed in.

The room features, I had a 2 bedroom (could only use one, as per Oaks policy) on the top floor, were very nice. I would imagine this more as a residential unit, it would work well.

It wasn't all great, the bed is a king but two singles pushed together. It was very uncomfortable, especially near the middle of the bed. I could find any of the 4 pillows that suited, but I admit, I find it hard to get a pillow I like.

The reason why I was so happy with the service was how they treated any issue that arose. Being there for 5 nights I had a smoke alarm that kept beeping one night and another night my neighbouring unit, residential tenants, had a party (on a Tuesday FFS) with loud music. Management put a stop to this on my first call & to be honest they sounded more like the police than hotel management. They were direct and stern and it did the trick.

Nothing, at all, was too much trouble. Little things like helping my colleague out with a phone charger to providing expert local advice. The service always appeared genuine and friendly. This was every staff member, without fail.

The wifi was very good, as a business traveller this was very important and it was fast enough to do what I needed to do, including sending documents etc to our home base.

This was a really good stay, save for the bedding, which of course comes down to personal preference.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
OaksGateway, Manager at Oaks Gateway Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2016

Hi,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments on your recent stay with us.

Guest service is one of our major focuses and I know the team will be delighted to hear they have been able to make a difference in your stay!

We look forward to welcoming in you back next time you are in Townsville.

Reviewed 17 February 2016

We booked Oaks for our Valentine weekend and as it costs $40 more than other hotels on the same street, we were expecting more. Although the room itself was ok, the view and location of the room was not. We looked straight out onto the back of the hotels restaurant and had to put up with the smell of steak all night if we wanted to sit on our balcony. Also the room was opposite the lift so got no sleep till well after 3am as people were coming back after their night out on the town and talking very loudly. Will not stay there again!

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi Katie,

I am sorry you were not able to enjoy the view you received on your recent stay. I hope this didn't have too much of a negative impact on your plans for valentines day!

Unfortunately, due to the layout of the building, almost all of the hotel rooms are located on the Palmer St side of the building. Had you contacted reception, we would have been happy to discuss options such as upgrading to a one bedroom apartment to provide the view you were hoping for.