“AVOID!”
Review of Mercure Townsville

Ranked #9 of 41 Hotels in Townsville
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 August 2015

I was travelling in Townsville for work and the accommodation was booked at the last minute. Everything seemed fine when we arrived at the hotel and we had booked 2 x twin rooms.

When I got to the room, I noticed one of the beds had stained sheets. I thought I would let this slide because there was a second bed that I could sleep on. Everything else seemed ok. When I went to bed that night as I moved the pillows I saw that there was a used ear-bud on the bedside table. Being late at night, I didn't call it through to reception because I had to get up early the next morning for work. And I slept on top of the sheets on the "clean" bed because I wasn't sure if the sheets had been changed from the previous guest.

In the morning at 8am, I went to reception and told them about the dirty sheets and the ear-bud and requested a full clean of the room. The assistant manager was apologetic and said she would get house cleaning to do this. I told her I will be out all day so they can do it whenever.

When I got back to the room at 7:30pm I checked to see if the ear-bud had been removed and it hadn't. All that was done was the bed made and one bin emptied. I know the room wasn't vacuumed either because I had a leaf stuck to my jacket on the day I arrived and I picked it off and dropped it on the floor and it was still on the floor. So I went back to reception and found that it was the night staff. I informed them that I had spoken to the assistant manager in the morning and requested the room to be cleaned top to bottom but that it hadn't been done.

There were 2 on the night shift, the first lady tried to tell me that the room doesn't get a full clean when you stay less than 3 nights which I understand but I tried to explain to her that the room wasn't cleaned before I checked in. She didn't understand why I wanted the room clean and was being very rude. The second lady was again apologetic and understood and offered us free breakfast for our stay (for my room and for my boss). However, she didn't offer to call housekeeping to come and clean the room like I had originally requested.

The first lady offered to change the bed which I accepted because that way I knew I had clean sheets on at least one of the beds. But was still very rude when she came to my room to change the sheets. Kept telling me that they didn't have to clean the room and she didn't have to be doing this. She did remove the ear-bud but she had picked it up with the cloth she brought with her to wipe down the table so it was pretty much just spreading the ear wax.

If I end up going to Townsville again I definitely won't be staying here and going by other reviews on TripAdvisor, I'm clearly not the first to have experienced this but I do hope I am the last. With this many complaints I'm surprised head office at Accor Hotels haven't investigated. I think the hotel needs a new housekeeping crew and certain staff members need training on how to speak and deal with customers. I will also be passing this feedback on to Accor.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
3  Thank LeanneB_86
MercureTownsville, Manager at Mercure Townsville, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2015

Dear Leanne B

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your stay at the Mercure Townsville. At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; however it is obvious that on this occasion, that we have failed to do this.

I cannot apologise enough for our shortcomings on not only one, but all three occasions in which you requested your issue to be resolved. However I would like to guarantee you that the matter has been investigated to ensure an episode of this nature is never repeated.

Finally, I would also like to assure you and any other potential guests that we continuously strive to uphold the superior standards and service of the Accor Hotel group so that each guest is ensured of a very comfortable and enjoyable stay. We apologise greatly again, and hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Sincerely

Reviewed 14 August 2015

My room was a mixed bag.. Clean but the shower had poor water pressure and the shower head wouldn't stay upright made for an interesting shower. I really liked that the room was 'prepared' for my check in such as the air conditioner was on making it pleasant to walk into a room that was a nice temperature. I felt overall the price charged was too expensive for what was on offer.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business
MercureTownsville, Manager at Mercure Townsville, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2015

Dear Diane

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Townsville. It is always a pleasure to receive both constructive and positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. I have ensure that our Maitenance team has been advised of the water pressure in your room, I sincerely apologise for this inconvenience as it is not a regular occurence.

Thank you again for providing feedback from your stay, and we hope to see you next time you are in Townsville.

Reviewed 12 August 2015

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank hayleyannemillar

Reviewed 10 August 2015

We attended a wedding. The location, grounds, food were outstanding and romantic. The pool was lovely. Rooms basic. Take-away and shopping within walking distance. Only 5km to The Strand. I would recommended this accomodation especially for a wedding.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends

Dear linh663

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay at the Mercure Townsville. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the wedding you attended with your family and friends.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope that you will visit again next time you are in Townsville.

With thanks once again

Reviewed 2 August 2015

Well what can one Say...checked in and walked to room with ones bags ...room was quite nice .(.second level no lifts so dragged the cases up) with good views and seemed big enough... the bathroom was well stocked and very clean ...didn't like the shower floor as the water ran out and wet the bath mat and everything else...the bed was comfortable and so was the pillows...we had to request extra blankets as the room had the heater part in the aircon not wired up and the room was quite cool during the mornings....there was NO bedside lamps or any reading lamps and found lamp glass on the floor near the bed and was told a previous guests child had broken the lamps....the desk dray had breadcrumbs in it and there were biscuit pieces under the cushions on the sofa...the wine glasses had finger marks aver them and the plates in the drawer had food still on them ....all reported to the hotel who were very apologetic and offered us free breakfast for our 3 day stay...might stay again but who knows as there are plenty to chose from....

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
MercureTownsville, Front Office Manager at Mercure Townsville, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2015

Dear Mary M,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Townsville. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Mercure, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. I have passed our review on to our housekeeping manager as glass in your room on check in is unacceptable and my sincerest apologies that this was missed as it was a huge oversight on our behalf, as well as the other cleaning issues in your room. Being that we live in the tropics we don't have reverse cycle air conditioners, which is why we keep extra blankets in the room and of course can bring more to your room if needed. However I do appreciate that it can get colder than normal in the rooms at this time of year. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problems you have raised so we can prevent future occurrence and I am happy to hear our staff made this wrong right by offering you complimentary breakfast for your stay with us.

Nikola Murphy