“Would be 5* but for the lousy booking policy”

Hamilton Island Air
More attraction details
Owner description: Hamilton Island Air - The Heart of the Great Barrier ReefHamilton Island Air provides guests with an exceptional range of helicopter and seaplane tours from Hamilton Island, encompassing the beautiful Whitsunday Islands and the Great Barrier Reef. Our most popular destinations are the iconic Whitehaven Beach and the world famous Heart Reef. We operate a fleet of modern luxury helicopters and seaplanes to provide the ultimate 'once in a lifetime' experience.
Reviewed 10 August 2018

Had a brilliant flight out to reefworld but the whole experience marred by the booking policy.
The website says you need to book in advance but as a solo traveller, when I tried to book in advance I received an email saying I couldn't. They wouldn't take bookings for less than 2 people. I can understand needing 2 people to make it worth running the trip, but I was told availability was limited for the day I wanted to fly, so they must already have had at least 2 people.
The options I was given were to pay for a 2nd empty seat or to go to the booking desk at 5.30 the night before and see if there were any seats available.
Obviously I wasn't going to pay for an empty seat so I had to go to the desk the night before. This meant I couldn't book anything else for my time on the island as the main point of my trip was to take a helicopter flight.
As it was I was lucky - I went to the desk and after some debate because I was a little before 5.30pm, a call was made and there was a seat available.
The flight was brilliant, but the booking policy is very disappointing. Beware solo travellers - it doesn't say anything about this policy on the website!

All reviews
"champagne picnic"
"best of both worlds"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 13 July 2018 via mobile

I don’t think you can go wrong with the helicopter ride over the heart wreath. This was one of the best travel experiences of my life. Our pilot Sam was so nice and knowledgeable and answered all of our questions and was there to help with any aspect. I would definitely recommend this company in the helicopter flight over heart wreath and Whitehaven beach to anyone. We even had our own private picnic at the beach! We did the helicopter ride with the stopover at Whithaven Beach.

Reviewed 13 June 2018 via mobile

I booked a helicopter tour with landing on Whitehaven Beach and these guys delivered, the tour was incredible from start to finish, the aerial views of hill inlet are a Wonder and the private part of the beach they take you too is sublime, perfect spot for a proposal (thankfully my fiancée said yes!). Thanks to the pilot (who took an incredible pano shot) and all the staff at Hamilton Island Air for making my dream a reality!

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

This was definitely a highlight of our trip to the Whitsundays. We booked a fly/cruise day, where we started with the helicopter flight and ended with snorkeling and a boat ride back. The van picked us up from our hotel right on time and brought us to the airport. The weather was a bit rainy and windy, but our pilot kept reassuring us and was able to go around some of the bad weather. He explained everything along the way and we saw everything the site advertised. We landed on a pontoon, where a small boat took us to the cruise Whitsundays boat for snorkeling. We snorkeled for a few hours, and my fiancé even did a scuba dive last minute! If snorkeling isn’t your thing, they have a submarine you can board (free) and they’ll take you on a short tour of the reef! Food was provided, mostly cold cuts and cold food. The ride back was a bit rocky because of the weather, but the staff were super helpful when people got sick and they did a great job of ensuring our safety. Would definitely book through the two companies again!

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

The first tour was the Whitehaven Beach Getaway - our helicopter pilot Jake was professional and courteous - once we landed he set up the umbrella, picnic and left us to enjoy the soft sand and clear blue water and battle the occasional aggressive seagull (stop feeding them people!). The great thing about this tour is that the helicopters land on the northern part of Whitehaven Beach so it is the more isolated part whereas the boats land on the southern side.

The second tour was the Fly/Fly Reef Discovery - our helicopter pilot Matt was a bit cheeky and cheerful - went above and beyond in instructing us on our wetsuits and snorkeling gear as we were first/second timers. The ride there and back was jaw dropping. The great thing about the tour is that it’s in the morning before the crowds so there was only 20 people on the pontoon.

Thank you Hamilton Island Air team for two very memorable tours over the past two days.

1  Thank Jason T