“nice premises and rooms, a bit rowdy though!”

Stamford Plaza Adelaide
Ranked #15 of 56 Hotels in Adelaide
Reviewed 11 September 2012

stayed two nights for business. specified i needed a quiet room as had business to attend so paid the extra money for higher room. room on level 18 was nicely presented. i will complain about the electronic key which could take put o 8-9 attempts (this is trivial really). what did irk me was the volume at night. not sure if it was the aircon 10 floors down or that side which looks over the mall is just a natural wind tunnel. the noise was enough to disturb my sleep both nights. further, breakfast was not included. a simple continental breakfast is an additional 24 dollars, or 34 dollars for the buffet. when u only want a bowl of fruit this is disappointing.
the hotel is ideally located right next to time main strip and mall. no free internet

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank AussieHrvat
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Please accept my apologies if your stay was marred by noise coming from the building. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and I would like to assure you that my Chief Engineer and I have investigated the problem and we are endeavoring to come up with a solution. We appreciate your comments as it is feedback, such as yours, which enables us to identify areas of our service and facilities that may be improved. Thank you again for your comments, they are appreciated, and we look forward to welcoming you back some time soon.

Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

Nothing special. Nothing bad. Over priced for the room. Room faced carpark and commercial building. Took ages to get car out of valet because of bad location and if one car in driveway you're blocked in.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank desinerg

Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to bring the delay in our Valet Service to my attention. You will be pleased to know that we are in the final stages of planning a refurbishment of our guest rooms and we expect works to commence this week. Thank you again for your comments, they are appreciated, and we look forward to welcoming you back some time soon.

Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed in this hotel and its a shocker. Concierge that greeted us was rude. Then we went to check in, my partner doesnt use lifts and we were told we cant use the stairs even though we made a special request to use the stairs when we booked, so we had to talk to manager to get it sorted out and every time we had to use the stairs we had to give them 20 minutes notice ok fair enough. But then when we check out we ask for our car because we had valet parking we also asked for our luggage to be brought down, we get our car after 30 minutes with no luggage it site, then head concierge said we have to reverse park our car so a taxi can get thru i said can u do it we paid for valet parking he said he was busy and i said im not doing it so he grabbed me on the shoulder and said ive really annoyed him and im idiot, im sure u cant touch a paying customer in a threating manner. We spoke to the duty manager and he didnt really care even after we said we were going to speak to police about assault. He wouldnt give us our money back so we spoke to wotif who we booked it thru and they were disgusted and were quick to apologise and refund us. Hotel is way over priced and most of the staff are rude DO NOT STAY THERE!

• Stayed: September 2012
6  Thank Arrygrimm
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Dear Arrygrimm,
After a thorough investigation into the allegation with concierge, we deny your assertion. Independent witnesses stated that the sequence of events that you alleged occurred is incorrect and the manner and language used by your party was inappropriate with families and young children present.
Your request for the use of fire stairs is uncommon and requires the hotel to deactivate the fire alarm and a member of staff to escort the guest to their destination. This is an emergency egress and we have strict control of usage for safety reasons.
Regards

Reviewed 5 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights and would recommend the location as long as you specify a room overlooking the park. There is a small window you can open for some fresh air and we stayed on the 10th floor.
Our reservation experience was very poorly handled. We found a reasonable price on wotif and rang the hotel to see if they could match the price. We were told no, and to go book it through wotif. To get 4 nights, we had to do 2 bookings through wotif and as a result we had to recheck out on day three and check back in for the final day. I had emailed the hotel before arriving to ensure we would stay in the same room for the whole 4 days, and was told that while our request would be considered, there was no guarantee. This reservation and reception process is rather stupid from a customer perspective! Did no one throughout these points of contacts consider making things easier for us as paying customers? I was starting to think that this hotel didn’t actually like having guests!
The hotel is a bit tired looking and very dark. The room was spotlessly clean and the bed relatively comfortable. The lifts are SO slow and only two were working. The breakfast was okay and the chef will make you a nice omelette if you ask.

Room Tip: a room overlooking the park and high up
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Justin_Higgins, General Manager at Stamford Plaza Adelaide, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Please accept my apologies for the frustration you experienced with the reservation process. Your feedback has given us the opportunity to review our processes to prevent a recurrence and simplify the process for customers. I have subsequently addressed your concerns with the relevant Manager to ensure we are maintaining our standards. I was pleased to learn that you enjoyed the location and it met your expectations. Thank you again for your comments, they are appreciated, and I trust we have the opportunity to welcoming you back some time soon.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

Overall our stay was very pleasant. The staff were friendly and reasonably efficient, the room comfortable, the breakfast very good value (and quite delicious too) and, having never taken advantage of valet parking before, I rather enjoyed the convenience of being able to ring Concierge and having my car appear at the door as I left the hotel. However there were a few minor details which point to opportunities for this property to improve their standards.

1: I never recieved a confirmation email when I booked the room, and when I contacted the hotel the day before my arrival to be sure that my booking existed, it took them 5 hours to find it.

2: Upon Check-in I was informed that my card would be charged for the total of my stay, plus $100. I understand that the majority of hotels these days will seek authorisation for a small amount extra but every other hotel I have stayed at has charged me 15% at most. As it is, my card being a debit card and only having funds to cover the room, my partner had to locate an ATM to see if he had enough to be able to pay the extra charge me. Rather embarrassing start to what was intended as a pleasant weekend away together.

3: It would seem that the staff are in the habit of assuming that every guest has stayed at the hotel before. My room package included complimentary breakfast, however I was not told where this was and it wasn't until some time after we checked in that I discovered the hotel has several restaurants. On our way out that afternoon I asked a lady at the concierge desk where we ought to go for breakfast and she seemed surprised that we needed to ask, but told us which restaurant, and that breakfast was open from 6am.

4: the check out process is unusually complicated. Guests are asked upon checkout to wait in the lobby while someone checks there room, and only after the desk has been told the room is fine may the guest leave. This makes for a very crowded lobby at checkout time.

Once again, all in all a very pleasant stay and I am already considering coming back, but perhaps a review of these areas will prevent a more fussy guest from turning away and refusing to return.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ladia2287

Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback. Please accept my apologies for the problems you experienced with your reservation confirmation. Your feedback has been addressed with the relevant departments and we look forward to your return to the Stamford Plaza Adelaide in the future.