“Amazing underground dining”

Barbecue Inn Underground
Ranked #3 of 14 Restaurants in Coober Pedy
Price range: US$16 - US$50
Reviewed 9 August 2017 via mobile

What a great place. Come in through the modern stairs to a lovely restaurant. Food excellent. Staff and service excellent. Check out the mural hidden away. Great night out. Fine dining experience.

1  Thank Barbara S

Reviewed 6 August 2017

Tasty barbecued items at reasonable prices. Unfortunately, untrained waitstaff (a young chap) detracted from the experience. Additionally, needs better ventilation to deal with the smells and fumes down in the cave.

3  Thank MrJohnnySan
Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

I don't understand why this place has such a great rating unless other people are just more forgiving or simply local. Overall I found this place disappointing and overpriced for what we got. The underground location is nice but if you do the tourist things, you will see enough underground homes/museums/mines/churches.

We started with a bottle of wine (Mustang Shiraz). It was pretty rough so I asked for a decanter to let it breathe hoping that would help. Our server was unfamiliar with decanters so when I explained I wanted something to pour the wine into, he went to the kitchen and returned to inform me that I could just take the bottle home if we didn't finish it. I let it go.

We ordered the grilled octopus as a starter. About 5 minutes after placing our orders the server clarified if we wanted it as an app before our mains and warned us that it can take 30 mins to prepare. We said to just bring it when ready. By surprise it showed up less than 10 minutes later. The octopus was well cooked but unfortunately my piece had a loose fibre of steel wool attached to it. Obviously an artifact of cleaning the grill.

Next I had the Porterhouse steak. I asked for medium-rare. What I got was a well-done steak that was only about 2-3cm thick. But it was as wide as the plate. Being overcooked I found it tough and dry. My partner got the chicken schnitty which was average. It was moist but lacked flavour. Though the serve was generous with two cutlets, they appeared to be from a frozen box of premade cutlets.

I tried to remain conscious of the fact that this is a town of 4,000 people in the middle of the desert and of course not a bustling food metropolis. However considering this appears to be one of the most expensive places in town, I just couldn't come to grips over the bill relative to the quality of the food. Shame. If you're hoping for a nice dinner and a break from burgers this seems like a great choice however buyer beware.

3  Thank Jamie G
Reviewed 2 August 2017

We had tea here back in late June 2017, the meal was excellent, the steak was cooked how I liked it, a very enjoyable night.
I also left my backpack there and didn't realise until the next day after we left Coober Pedy, and had arrived in Marla. I had to phone around to the places I had been in at Coober Pedy the day before and the owner told me yes, she had my backpack. I was so greatful, we drove back from Marla 233 klms to collect it and everything was still in my backpack, including my wallet with cards still inside, cheque book, car keys, bank book, money. It was a wonderful feeling that the owner and her staff looked after my backpack until we returned to collect it. I cant thank them enough.

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Great dinner with the Greek influence and attentive staff. All good. Good change from caravanning cuisine.

1  Thank Brian R